Irish Politics

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:13 members
GMAT Score:700

Irish Politics

by hemant_rajput » Tue Aug 19, 2014 8:12 am
Swift's conception of "A Modest Proposal" was as a satirical commentary on Irish politics, a critique of colonial economics; instead, it had been received as a serious suggestion that cannibalism was a reasonable solution to Ireland's problems.

Swift's conception of "A Modest Proposal" was as a satirical commentary on Irish politics, a critique of colonial economics; instead, it had been

Swift conceived of "A Modest Proposal" as a satirical commentary on Irish politics, a critique of colonial economics, but which was

Swift conceived of "A Modest Proposal" as a satirical commentary on Irish politics that critiqued colonial economics; instead, it was

Swift conceived of "A Modest Proposal" to be a critique of colonial economics, a satirical commentary on Irish politics, which was

Swift conceived of "A Modest Proposal" to be a satirical commentary on Irish politics, a critique of colonial economics, also it was
I'm no expert, just trying to work on my skills. If I've made any mistakes please bear with me.

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by mbaker » Tue Aug 19, 2014 11:08 am
Here is my thought on this.
C

Option A here has the word conception which I believe is a wrong usage.
Options B & E looks like Irish politics is a critique of colonial economics. Additionally Option E does not give a contrasting opinion with the usage of "also it was".
Option D also seems to describe a colonial economics as a satirical commentary on Irish politics. Similar to option E, "which was" does not contrast what Swift intended.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Tue Aug 19, 2014 11:16 am
Hi hemant_rajput,

This SC describes a contrast between Swift's idea about "A Modest Proposal" (a satirical commentary) and how other people took it (a serious suggestion). The correct answer will properly present that contrast.

1) Contrast Word: When contrasting 2 ideas, proper style requires the use of a "contrast word", such as "however", "although", "instead", "but", etc. We need one such word here. Eliminate D and E.

2) Parallelism: The 2 contrasting ideas should be written in Parallel format. Eliminate A (it uses "conception" - a noun, which is not parallel with "had been" - a verb phrase).

3) Pronouns: The sentence refers to a specific noun: "A Modest Proposal"; the pronoun that refers back to this noun should be "it" (the pronoun "which" is non-specific). Eliminate B.

Final Answer: C

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by gui_guimaraes » Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:38 am
Here is the official answer from Veritas:
Correct answer: (C).

The semi-colon in the original sentence should alert you that Sentence Construction is being tested here. The original uses the semi-colon correctly (with independent clauses on either side), but there are errors within those independent sentences. "Swift's conception of X was as Y" is wordy and unidiomatic. It is more clear and direct to say that "Swift conceived of X as Y." Eliminate (A), (D), and (E) because they use other constructions. (B) eliminates the semi-colon and creates a Sentence Construction error. We should find an independent clause after ", but". Answer (C) is correct because it takes two phrases that are in opposition to each other ("a satirical commentary on Irish politics" and "a critique of colonial economics") and subordinates the second to the first, tightening the structure. What follows the semi-colon corrects the Verb Form error in the original, using a verb in the simple past tense instead of the past perfect. Choice (D) is also guilty of a Modifier error; as written "which was" modified "politics" incorrectly. Choice (E) commits another, more egregious Sentence Construction error, introducing "...it was" as the subject of a clause without creating an independent clause after "colonial economics...".