Top 100 Official SC Revision Question #3

This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member
Followed by:26 members
GMAT Score:740
The increased popularity and availability of televisions has led to the decline of regional dialects, language variations which originate from diverse ethnic and cultural heritages and perpetuated by geographic isolation.

A. which originate from diverse ethnic and cultural heritages and perpetuated
B. that originated from diverse ethnic and cultural heritages and perpetuated
C. originated from diverse ethnic and cultural heritages and perpetuated
D. originating from diverse ethnic and cultural heritages and perpetuated
E. originating from diverse ethnic and cultural heritages and perpetuating
R I C H A,
My GMAT Journey: 470 → 720 → 740
Target Score: 760+
[email protected]
1. Press thanks if you like my solution.
2. Contact me if you are not improving. (No Free Lunch!)

Legendary Member
Followed by:140 members
GMAT Score:800

by MartyMurray » Sat Jul 01, 2017 7:09 am
richachampion wrote:The increased popularity and availability of televisions has led to the decline of regional dialects, language variations which originate from diverse ethnic and cultural heritages and perpetuated by geographic isolation.
Originating is something that an entity does on its own. So dialects would originate.

Perpetuating is done to an entity by an outside force. So dialects would be perpetuated.
A. which originate from diverse ethnic and cultural heritages and perpetuated
"which" has to refer to "dialects" and has to be the subject of "perpetuated". Since dialects would not perpetuate themselves, this version does not make sense.
B. that originated from diverse ethnic and cultural heritages and perpetuated
"that" has to refer to "dialects" and has to be the subject of "perpetuated". Since dialects would not perpetuate themselves, this version does not make sense.
C. originated from diverse ethnic and cultural heritages and perpetuated
Since it makes more sense to say that the dialects originate than to say that someone originates them, the passive "originated" does not make sense. The passive "perpetuated" does, however, make sense.
D. originating from diverse ethnic and cultural heritages and perpetuated
The agent of "originating" and the receiver of "perpetuated" are both "dialects". Since it makes sense to say that dialects originate and are perpetuated, this version is the correct answer.
E. originating from diverse ethnic and cultural heritages and perpetuating
"dialects" has to be the agent of the participles "originating" and "perpetuating". Since dialects would not perpetuate themselves, this version does not make sense.

The correct answer is D.
Marty Murray
Perfect Scoring Tutor With Over a Decade of Experience
MartyMurrayCoaching.com
Contact me at [email protected] for a free consultation.

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by Pratishtha21 » Sat Jul 01, 2017 7:28 am
A. which originate from diverse ethnic and cultural heritages and perpetuated - not parallel. There should be a 'which' after and.
B. that originated from diverse ethnic and cultural heritages and perpetuated - same as A. Here 'that' should be repeated for proper construction.
C. originated from diverse ethnic and cultural heritages and perpetuated - it should be originating as the dialects are doing the action of originating
D. originating from diverse ethnic and cultural heritages and perpetuated - correct
E. originating from diverse ethnic and cultural heritages and perpetuating - perpetuating is wrong as the dialect is not doing the act of perpetuation