One Billion Dollar Loss

This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member
Followed by:47 members

One Billion Dollar Loss

by komal » Tue Feb 09, 2010 8:13 pm
After the company recalled one of its best-selling products, it would be forced to accept a one billion dollar loss, an expense that would have forced its main competitor to declare bankruptcy if it had suffered such a loss.

(A) After the company recalled one of its best-selling products, it would be forced to accept a one billion dollar loss, an expense that would have forced its main competitor to declare bankruptcy if it had suffered such a loss.

(B) As the company recalled one of its best-selling products, it accepted a one billion dollar loss; forcing its main competitor to declare bankruptcy if it had suffered such a loss.

(C) After the company recalled one of its best-selling products, its one billion dollar loss would have to be accepted; such a loss would have forced its main competitor to declare bankruptcy.

(D) After the company recalled one of its best-selling products, it was forced to accept a one billion dollar loss; its main competitor would have been forced to declare bankruptcy if it had suffered such a loss.

(E) When the company recalled one of its best-selling products, a one billion dollar loss it was forced to accept, an expense that would have forced its main competitor into bankruptcy.

OA D

Legendary Member
Followed by:3 members

by outreach » Tue Feb 09, 2010 8:58 pm
would - used when we think something is possible. there might be evidence or not
was - used when we think there is some evidence to make a statement

A) one of the mistakes is usage of first would is incorrect.
B) after semicolon an independent sentence is needed
C) after semicolon an independent sentence is needed
D) Correct. proper usage of present perfect continuous "have been"
E) modifier reference error

Legendary Member
Followed by:79 members
GMAT Score:640

by money9111 » Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:03 pm
IMO D I absolutely hate when the entire sentence is underlined. Makes me nervous, but this one wasn't that bad. I need to study IT more... because sometimes it confuses me. For instance, in C was "its" the proper usage? I know the answer was wrong, but I might as well try to get something else out of the sentence while I'm at it.
My goal is to make MBA applicants take onus over their process.

My story from Pre-MBA to Cornell MBA - New Post in Pre-MBA blog

Me featured on Poets & Quants

Free Book for MBA Applicants

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by hrishi19884 » Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:48 pm
WOW!! we have a timing feature now!!!

I took 1min 30 sec to ans this. I chose D

for the only reason

"company recalled" ........." would be forced "
(past tense) (future tense)

Incorrect tense used.
A - ruled out

D is the only one which uses tense correctly, it says that
"company recalled " ......."was forced"
(past tense) (past tense)
Hrishi

"As you sow, so shall you reap"

by mgmt_gmat » Thu Feb 11, 2010 4:21 am
IMO (D)...

A is ruled out because of " would"..

"Its" refer to " company" correctly.

Legendary Member
Followed by:47 members

by komal » Fri Mar 12, 2010 7:25 am
komal wrote:After the company recalled one of its best-selling products, it would be forced to accept a one billion dollar loss, an expense that would have forced its main competitor to declare bankruptcy if it had suffered such a loss.

(A) After the company recalled one of its best-selling products, it would be forced to accept a one billion dollar loss, an expense that would have forced its main competitor to declare bankruptcy if it had suffered such a loss.

(B) As the company recalled one of its best-selling products, it accepted a one billion dollar loss; forcing its main competitor to declare bankruptcy if it had suffered such a loss.

(C) After the company recalled one of its best-selling products, its one billion dollar loss would have to be accepted; such a loss would have forced its main competitor to declare bankruptcy.

(D) After the company recalled one of its best-selling products, it was forced to accept a one billion dollar loss; its main competitor would have been forced to declare bankruptcy if it had suffered such a loss.

(E) When the company recalled one of its best-selling products, a one billion dollar loss it was forced to accept, an expense that would have forced its main competitor into bankruptcy.

OA D
source kaplan 800

Here's the official explanation

You can start with the verbs. We begin with After the company recalled and then move to it would be forced, but since the sentence is talking about something that already happened, the second verb should be it was forced. Eliminate (A) and (C). You can also eliminate (E) for offering the strange variation a one billion dollar loss it was forced to accept. (B) is wrong because it creates a sentence fragment. Make sure you know this fact: a semicolon is correct only when it joins two pieces that could stand as independent and complete sentences. In other words, you can use a semicolon only if you could use a period at the same place and still have complete sentences. (B) doesn't do that, so (D) remains.

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by bacchewar_prashant » Thu Nov 18, 2010 5:45 am
I also answered D but certaily I would say I was lucky. There were lots of pronouns and I felt that there must be some pronoun reference error but could not found one.

Certainly I was not able to find the verb tense error. I usually mis this.

Legendary Member
Followed by:2 members

by tanviet » Thu Nov 18, 2010 8:31 pm
all-is-underlined questions are hard because we can not find errors which are base on differences among the choices. We have to find the errors in a choice when we read only that choice. Though it is easy to understand the explanation, it is hard to get it right.

I wish to get more all-is-underlined questions. Where to find them? Please, help

by thp510 » Fri Nov 19, 2010 7:52 pm
komal wrote:After the company recalled one of its best-selling products, it would be forced to accept a one billion dollar loss, an expense that would have forced its main competitor to declare bankruptcy if it had suffered such a loss.

OA D
"...it was forced..."
I'm not a fan of passive voice OAs either. I don't know why the GMAT doest this especially when they are against using passive voice

by sumit.sinha » Wed Dec 08, 2010 12:53 pm

OA D
None of the answer choices are correct.
In D:
After the company recalled one of its best-selling products, it was forced to accept a one billion dollar loss; its main competitor would have been forced to declare bankruptcy if it had suffered such a loss.

The "it" can ambiguously refer to both Company or the competitor. Cant it??
Cheers,
Sumit

Followed by:4 members

by anirudhbhalotia » Thu Dec 16, 2010 4:43 am
I too hate when the entire thing is underlined, but this was fairly easy to answer.

D

GMAT Score:710

by maddy2u » Mon Dec 20, 2010 5:39 am
IMO D .

A and C have tense disagreements. B misuses the idiom "As.... ,Subject + Verb +...."
E is grammatically awkward. D is the only option with correct idiomatic usage and tense agreements. Hence it is the answer.

Legendary Member
Followed by:8 members

by saketk » Thu Sep 01, 2011 8:45 pm
Typically questions like these are difficult because the whole part was underlined. Totally hate them :)
But, this one was fairly easy. All the options except option D contain too many errors
I chose the elimination method and arrived at the answer.
Option D it is

by B166418 » Thu Sep 01, 2011 9:55 pm
"D" is best among all,but isn't it is in passive voice
Expert please reply

by zander21 » Mon Sep 05, 2011 4:07 pm
I chose d. I didn't like "would have been" but the others were all so obviously incorrect.