Please evaluate my profile for a good MBA program

Share tips as you apply, write essays, interview...
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Hi guys,

I am looking to apply to a few top 25 Finance focused B Schools, for the intake of 2019 (September).
I know it's a bit early but I wanted to get an idea of where I would stand a chance of being accepted in order to really focus on the individual applications.
Any feedback would be helpful!

GMAT Score: 700

Educational Qualifications:

Undergraduate -

Bachelors in Commerce, 69.2% score, First Class, graduated 2013
Professional Qualifications-
(1) Chartered Accountant (Institute of Chartered Accountants of India): This is one of the toughest professional courses in India, and anywhere I'm sure. There are 3 levels of exams, and in between the 2nd and 3rd levels, you have to undergo practical training for a period of 3 years. Completed in May, 2016.
(2) Chartered Alternative Investments Analyst: Conducted by the CAIA association in America. I have cleared Level 1 of this exam in March 2017, appearing for Level 2 in September. I hope to have this wrapped by the time I apply.

Work exp:
(1) As a part of my Chartered Accountancy, I worked with EY for 3 years. 2 of these years were after my undergrad completion (I'm told that makes it count as work-ex).
(2) Post CA qualification, I have been working with the brokerage arm of the largest private bank in India as a sell-side Equities Analyst. Currently in the role for 10 months. By the time I apply, this would more than double.

Target: Finance focused MBAs in the US or Europe

Any feeback on any aspect of my profile would be really appreciated. Especially w.r.t my odds of getting into a good US MBA program! The dream would be something like NYU Stern. I think the Whartons and Booths of this world are a bit far out of my reach :)

Thanks in advance
Siddhant Mansukhani

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by EduSimplified » Fri Jun 09, 2017 11:23 pm
siddhantmansukhani wrote:Hi guys,

I am looking to apply to a few top 25 Finance focused B Schools, for the intake of 2019 (September).
I know it's a bit early but I wanted to get an idea of where I would stand a chance of being accepted in order to really focus on the individual applications.
Any feedback would be helpful!

GMAT Score: 700

Educational Qualifications:

Undergraduate -

Bachelors in Commerce, 69.2% score, First Class, graduated 2013
Professional Qualifications-
(1) Chartered Accountant (Institute of Chartered Accountants of India): This is one of the toughest professional courses in India, and anywhere I'm sure. There are 3 levels of exams, and in between the 2nd and 3rd levels, you have to undergo practical training for a period of 3 years. Completed in May, 2016.
(2) Chartered Alternative Investments Analyst: Conducted by the CAIA association in America. I have cleared Level 1 of this exam in March 2017, appearing for Level 2 in September. I hope to have this wrapped by the time I apply.

Work exp:
(1) As a part of my Chartered Accountancy, I worked with EY for 3 years. 2 of these years were after my undergrad completion (I'm told that makes it count as work-ex).
(2) Post CA qualification, I have been working with the brokerage arm of the largest private bank in India as a sell-side Equities Analyst. Currently in the role for 10 months. By the time I apply, this would more than double.

Target: Finance focused MBAs in the US or Europe

Any feeback on any aspect of my profile would be really appreciated. Especially w.r.t my odds of getting into a good US MBA program! The dream would be something like NYU Stern. I think the Whartons and Booths of this world are a bit far out of my reach :)

Thanks in advance
Siddhant Mansukhani
Hi Siddhant,
You have a good profile in making. I was going to say improve your GMAT score but I like that you're realistic about your target schools. Hence, I think your odds are pretty good to get into a good business school in the US.

Depending on your post MBA goals, I would recommend:
What about your extra curricular or community service activities? Do you have any?
If not you should definitely improve on this.

Shortlisting your target schools (broadly).

Network with Alumni & current students of those schools

Look for a dream job you want after graduating your MBA. Reverse calculate your skill gap to understand what you need to do in order to get that job. This exercise will help you choose a school that best fits your needs

CFA if you want to go there?

Improve your GMAT ?

Hope this helps. Good Luck.