Profile evaluation - ISB

Free advice from the world's top MBA consultants
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Profile evaluation - ISB

by yipee » Wed May 03, 2017 1:11 am
Hi,
kindly let me know if i fit in to the school s criteria and the expected gmat for the same.

10th : 88% CBSE
12th : 77% CBSE
Graduation : BE Electrical - Amravati University - 66%
Experience : 6 years
3 years with IT firm and last 3 years with a big four consulting firm. currently working in regulatory and compliance domain for pharma industry

Extracurriculars:
Vice Chairman of IEEE branch of my college
involved in organizing numerous college events
won in numerous debate/elocution in college/school
was student editor of my school magazine.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:5 members

by mcbMcK » Thu May 04, 2017 9:08 pm
Consider the following points:
  1. Assuming there are no gaps/academic issues, at a high level you definitely meet the qualification requirements. Whether that is good enough to get an admit is however a far more evolved topic; we don't speculate on school selection for reasons mentioned here.
  2. The transition you've made sounds interesting. Just the industry however is not enough. It is important to showcase your achievements and how those differentiate you from peers- think along those lines.
  3. The ECs are all dated. Schools expect something after college too. Read here why.
  4. Finally, at a glance, the academic arc looks average/weak. A good GMAT can partly help on that front.
In summary, go for it but you have your task cut out.

Cheers,
MG (Manish Gupta)|The MBA Crystal Ball Team

Email: mcb at mbacrystalball dot com

Followed by:34 members

by AskgoISB » Fri May 05, 2017 3:44 am
yipee wrote:Hi,
kindly let me know if i fit in to the school s criteria and the expected gmat for the same.

10th : 88% CBSE
12th : 77% CBSE
Graduation : BE Electrical - Amravati University - 66%
Experience : 6 years
3 years with IT firm and last 3 years with a big four consulting firm. currently working in regulatory and compliance domain for pharma industry

Extracurriculars:
Vice Chairman of IEEE branch of my college
involved in organizing numerous college events
won in numerous debate/elocution in college/school
was student editor of my school magazine.
Hey there,

We feel that you will be able to showcase a good quality of work and leadership experience given your stints with IT and consulting. ISB looks for well-rounded profiles that have been able to demonstrate an impact both at work and beyond, hence we feel that extra-curriculars mentioned above may be inadequate, purely because they seem to be in the past.
You will definitely need a strong GMAT score, try targeting 720 and above and that will make your profile more competitive.

Feel free to reach out in case of any queries.
Cheers,
goISB team
https://www.goISB.com
Ph: +91 9871354580
Email:[email protected]
Check goISB's Guaranteed Admissions Program (GAP) - ISB admit or money back*
https://www.goisb.com/services/gap/

by yipee » Thu Jun 08, 2017 10:38 pm
mcbMcK wrote:Consider the following points:
  1. Assuming there are no gaps/academic issues, at a high level you definitely meet the qualification requirements. Whether that is good enough to get an admit is however a far more evolved topic; we don't speculate on school selection for reasons mentioned here.
  2. The transition you've made sounds interesting. Just the industry however is not enough. It is important to showcase your achievements and how those differentiate you from peers- think along those lines.
  3. The ECs are all dated. Schools expect something after college too. Read here why.
  4. Finally, at a glance, the academic arc looks average/weak. A good GMAT can partly help on that front.

Cheers,

so manish how should i go about it? should i consider giving gmat or rather focus on certifications like CISA etc to help me grow in my current profile?

by yipee » Thu Jun 08, 2017 10:42 pm
yipee wrote:
mcbMcK wrote:Consider the following points:

Cheers,

so manish how should i go about it? should i consider giving gmat or rather focus on certifications like CISA etc to help me grow in my current profile?
and honestly i dont really recollect doing any thing significant on extra curriculuars front post college. agree that i have a lack lustre profile. and i did had a year gap , between college and the first job , had a personal crisis at home.

Followed by:5 members

by mcbMcK » Fri Jun 09, 2017 2:43 am
yipee wrote:
and honestly i dont really recollect doing any thing significant on extra curriculuars front post college. agree that i have a lack lustre profile. and i did had a year gap , between college and the first job , had a personal crisis at home.

Well, there are two alternatives here. One is you do the GMAT and give things a shot this year. Alternatively, if you can wait, it might be prudent to build the profile and then stake a surer claim next year. For the latter, read here.
MG (Manish Gupta)|The MBA Crystal Ball Team

Email: mcb at mbacrystalball dot com