How many points with Integer x and Y co-ordinates lie within

This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member
Followed by:24 members
How many points with Integer x and Y co-ordinates lie within the circle?

1)The circle intersects with parabola y = ax^2 + 4 where a>0 at only one Point
2) The circle has centre at origin

Source: www.GMATinsight.com

Answer: Option C
"GMATinsight"Bhoopendra Singh & Sushma Jha
Most Comprehensive and Affordable Video Course 2000+ CONCEPT Videos and Video Solutions
Whatsapp/Mobile: +91-9999687183 l [email protected]
Contact for One-on-One FREE ONLINE DEMO Class Call/e-mail
Most Efficient and affordable One-On-One Private tutoring fee - US$40-50 per hour

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by susheelh » Fri Jun 02, 2017 12:39 am
Hello,

I answered this question as follows. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Needed: At least the formula of the circle.

S1: The circle intersects with parabola y = ax^2 + 4 where a>0 at only one Point.
This says Y intercept of the parabola is 4. It also says the Parabola opens upwards. Means the circle could be completely in second quadrant touching the parabola at one point or completely 1st quadrant touching the parabola at one point . Or could be just touching the Vertex of the parabola at y=4. The statement is insuff.

S2: The circle has center at origin
Clearly insufficient. The circle could be anything. Any number of individual integer points within circle possible.

S1+S2:
The circle is of the form x^2+y^2 = r^2 . Since the Y intercept of Parabola = (0,4) and the circle has to touch at only one Point - it has to pass through (0,4). Equation of circle - x^2+y^2 = 4^2. Number of possible integer x values = 9 (-4 to +4). Simmilarly there are 9 integer values of Y. Total possible integer values = 9*9 = 81. (Though this complete calculation is not needed for data sufficiency)

Final Answer : C[/quote]