Just staring out, need input on study plan

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Just staring out, need input on study plan

by tittoo » Mon May 29, 2017 2:48 pm
Hi everyone,

I am just starting out with my GMAT studying.

I took the MGMAT CAT 1 this weekend, without any studying.
I completed all sections: Essay, IR, Quant and Verbal

Scores:
IR 2.4
Q38
V34
Overall 590

My experience from the initial practice test:

- timing was not an issue for me. I completed all sections well ahead of time. I had 10 minutes left on quant, 20 minutes left on verbal when I finished.

- stamina was also not an issue for me. I could comfortably sit for that amount of time and take the test without any problems.

- I felt comfortable with the verbal section but definitely need to practice more

- Quant and IR were difficult. I felt like I was guessing on a lot of the questions. I have a science background so I am definitely disappointed in my initial quant score :(

I am planning to take the GMAT in mid August, and my goal is 700+.
I need to clear at least 90th percentile on quant and 70th percentile on verbal, with overall minimum score of 700+ to get into my desired graduate program.

I have the official guides, and Manhattan Guides book set.

How should I structure my studying to achieve my goals? I can devote 3-4 evenings on weekdays and all weekends to studying.
Are there any other books or resources I should get for my studying?

I look forward to your input.

Thanks!

Legendary Member
Followed by:128 members
GMAT Score:770

by DavidG@VeritasPrep » Mon May 29, 2017 3:18 pm
tittoo wrote:Hi everyone,

Scores:
IR 2.4
Q38
V34
Overall 590

- timing was not an issue for me. I completed all sections well ahead of time. I had 10 minutes left on quant, 20 minutes left on verbal when I finished.

- stamina was also not an issue for me. I could comfortably sit for that amount of time and take the test without any problems.

- I felt comfortable with the verbal section but definitely need to practice more

- Quant and IR were difficult. I felt like I was guessing on a lot of the questions. I have a science background so I am definitely disappointed in my initial quant score :(

I need to clear at least 90th percentile on quant and 70th percentile on verbal, with overall minimum score of 700+ to get into my desired graduate program.

How should I structure my studying to achieve my goals? I can devote 3-4 evenings on weekdays and all weekends to studying.

Thanks!
That's a very solid starting point and a reasonable timeframe for your goals. The one additional suggestion I have is to make sure you work in official practice tests from mba.com: https://www.mba.com/us/the-gmat-exam/pre ... tware.aspx
Make sure you thoroughly dissect each test once you complete it. Make a list of concrete adjustments you can make before taking the next one. Do some drilling in problem areas. If you want more practice problems for drilling purposes, check out our free question bank: https://www.veritasprep.com/gmat/gmat-question-bank/

Wash/rinse/repeat until you're exceeding your target score on practice tests.

Keep us posted...
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor

Veritas Prep Reviews
Save $100 off any live Veritas Prep GMAT Course

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1268 members

by Brent@GMATPrepNow » Mon May 29, 2017 3:27 pm
590 is a very solid baseline score - nice work.

Given that you already have the MGMAT books, you might consider signing up for Beat The GMAT's free 60-Day Study Guide (https://www.beatthegmat.com/mba/gmat-guide).

Each day, you'll receive an email with a series of learning activities that guide you, step-by-step, from Day 1 to test day. This will ensure that you will cover everything that the GMAT tests.

Here's an outline of all 60 emails: https://www.beatthegmat.com/mba/gmat-guide-outline

Cheers,
Brent
Brent Hanneson - Creator of GMATPrepNow.com

by tittoo » Tue May 30, 2017 6:44 am
Brent@GMATPrepNow wrote:590 is a very solid baseline score - nice work.

Given that you already have the MGMAT books, you might consider signing up for Beat The GMAT's free 60-Day Study Guide (https://www.beatthegmat.com/mba/gmat-guide).

Each day, you'll receive an email with a series of learning activities that guide you, step-by-step, from Day 1 to test day. This will ensure that you will cover everything that the GMAT tests.

Here's an outline of all 60 emails: https://www.beatthegmat.com/mba/gmat-guide-outline

Cheers,
Brent
Thanks Brent! I just signed up for the emails!

by tittoo » Tue May 30, 2017 6:46 am
DavidG@VeritasPrep wrote:

Scores:
IR 2.4
Q38
V34
Overall 590

Thanks!
That's a very solid starting point and a reasonable timeframe for your goals. The one additional suggestion I have is to make sure you work in official practice tests from mba.com: https://www.mba.com/us/the-gmat-exam/pre ... tware.aspx
Make sure you thoroughly dissect each test once you complete it. Make a list of concrete adjustments you can make before taking the next one. Do some drilling in problem areas. If you want more practice problems for drilling purposes, check out our free question bank: https://www.veritasprep.com/gmat/gmat-question-bank/

Keep us posted...
Thanks David! I will definitely do the CATS from mba.com and start working through the official guides once I have done some studying with the Manhattan Guides.

I will keep you posted.

Legendary Member
Followed by:128 members

by DavidG@VeritasPrep » Tue May 30, 2017 8:01 am
tittoo wrote:
DavidG@VeritasPrep wrote:

Scores:
IR 2.4
Q38
V34
Overall 590

Thanks!

Keep us posted...
Thanks David! I will definitely do the CATS from mba.com and start working through the official guides once I have done some studying with the Manhattan Guides.

I will keep you posted.
As much as you can, think of the GMAT as a game, and enjoy the ride!
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor

Veritas Prep Reviews
Save $100 off any live Veritas Prep GMAT Course

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Tue May 30, 2017 9:43 am
Hi tittoo,

A 590 is a strong 'baseline' score (the average score on the Official GMAT hovers around 540-550 most years). In addition, since you 'rushed' through the Quant and Verbal sections, it stands to reason that you could have scored higher IF you had slowed down, taken more notes, been more careful with your work, etc. With a potential mid-August Test Day, you have about 2.5 months of study time, which is good. Now we just need a better sense of whether your current study materials will be enough to get you to your score goal or not. As such, I suggest that you study as you see fit for the next 2-3 weeks, then take a new FULL-LENGTH CAT (with the Essay and IR sections). That score result will help to define how well you're studying, and what adjustments (if any) might be needed.

1) What Schools are you planning to apply to?
2) You referred to some rather specific score goals? How do you know that you need to hit those 'minimum' levels? And are you guaranteed anything if you do?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]