Official guide verbal Question SC 92

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:1 members

Official guide verbal Question SC 92

by conquistador » Sat Apr 04, 2015 2:59 am
what it/they refer to in this sentence correction question.

92. Schistosomiasis, a disease caused by a parasitic
worm, is prevalent in hot, humid climates, and it has
become more widespread as irrigation projects have
enlarged the habitat of the freshwater snails that are
the parasite's hosts for part of its life cycle.

(A) the freshwater snails that are the parasite's
hosts for part of its life cycle

(B) the freshwater snails that are the parasite's
hosts in part of their life cycle

(C) freshwater snails which become the parasite's
hosts for part of its life cycles

(D) freshwater snails which become the hosts of the
parasite during the parasite's life cycles

(E) parasite's hosts, freshwater snails which
become their hosts during their life cycles

Legendary Member
Followed by:128 members
GMAT Score:770

by DavidG@VeritasPrep » Sat Apr 04, 2015 3:21 am
Schistosomiasis, a disease caused by a parasitic
worm, is prevalent in hot, humid climates, and it has
become more widespread as irrigation projects have
enlarged the habitat of the freshwater snails that are
the parasite's hosts for part of its life cycle.

A) the freshwater snails that are the parasite's
hosts for part of its life cycle

(B) the freshwater snails that are the parasite's
hosts in part of their life cycle

(C) freshwater snails which become the parasite's
hosts for part of its life cycles

(D) freshwater snails which become the hosts of the
parasite during the parasite's life cycles

(E) parasite's hosts, freshwater snails which
become their hosts during their life cycles
First, notice that answer choices C, D, and E all have the construction "freshwater snails which." This is incorrect. "Which" is non-restrictive, so when it follows immediately after a noun, it will be preceded by a comma. "freshwater snails, which..." "That" is restrictive and does not follow a comma. A and B use the restrictive "that" correctly.

So now we have to choose between "part of its life cycle" and "part of their life cycle." The relevant clause here is: "irrigation projects have
enlarged the habitat of the freshwater snails that are the parasite's hosts for part of its life cycle." The intended meaning: "irrigation projects have
enlarged the habitat of the freshwater snails that are the parasite's hosts for part of the parasite's life cycle. Because the possessive pronoun "its" refers to "the parasite's", we prefer the singular "its."

Answer is A
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor

Veritas Prep Reviews
Save $100 off any live Veritas Prep GMAT Course

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Sat Apr 04, 2015 5:00 am
Schistosomiasis, a disease caused by a parasitic worm, is prevalent in hot, humid climates, and it has become more widespread as irrigation projects have enlarged the habitat of the freshwater snails that are the parasite's hosts for part of its life cycle.

(A) the freshwater snails that are the parasite's hosts for part of its life cycle
(B) the freshwater snails that are the parasite's hosts in part of their life cycle
(C) freshwater snails which become the parasite's hosts for part of its life cycles
(D) freshwater snails which become the hosts of the parasite during the parasite's life cycles
(E) parasite's hosts, freshwater snails which become their hosts during their life cycles
I received a PM requesting that I comment.

In B and E, their (plural) cannot serve to refer to the worm (singular).
Eliminate B and E.

A life cycle is defined as the series of stages through which a living thing passes during the course of its life.
A living thing cannot have more than one life cycle.
Incorrect: a tiger's life cycles
Correct: a tiger's LIFE CYCLE
Thus, in C and D, life cycles (plural) does not convey the intended meaning.
Eliminate C and D.

The correct answer is A.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

Legendary Member
Followed by:5 members

by Mo2men » Sun May 21, 2017 12:07 am
GMATGuruNY wrote:
Schistosomiasis, a disease caused by a parasitic worm, is prevalent in hot, humid climates, and it has become more widespread as irrigation projects have enlarged the habitat of the freshwater snails that are the parasite's hosts for part of its life cycle.

(A) the freshwater snails that are the parasite's hosts for part of its life cycle
(B) the freshwater snails that are the parasite's hosts in part of their life cycle
(C) freshwater snails which become the parasite's hosts for part of its life cycles
(D) freshwater snails which become the hosts of the parasite during the parasite's life cycles
(E) parasite's hosts, freshwater snails which become their hosts during their life cycles
I received a PM requesting that I comment.

In B and E, their (plural) cannot serve to refer to the worm (singular).
Eliminate B and E.

A life cycle is defined as the series of stages through which a living thing passes during the course of its life.
A living thing cannot have more than one life cycle.
Incorrect: a tiger's life cycles
Correct: a tiger's LIFE CYCLE
Thus, in C and D, life cycles (plural) does not convey the intended meaning.
Eliminate C and D.

The correct answer is A.
Dear Mitch,

How come there same pronoun 'it' with different antecedents? In the non underline sentence 'it' refer to the 'worm' and the 'its' refer to 'parasite's'. Is not it violation for a rule that we can 't have two antecedents for one pronoun?

Thanks

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Sun May 21, 2017 1:53 am
Mo2men wrote:Dear Mitch,

How come there same pronoun 'it' with different antecedents? In the non underline sentence 'it' refer to the 'worm' and the 'its' refer to 'parasite's'. Is not it violation for a rule that we can 't have two antecedents for one pronoun?

Thanks
Generally:
Within a SINGLE CLAUSE, forms of the same pronoun should have the same antecedent.
OA: It has become more widespread as irrigation projects have enlarged the habitat of the freshwater snails that are the parasite's hosts for part of its life cycle.
Here, it (which serves to refer to schistosomiasis) is contained within the main clause in red, while its (which serves to refer to parasite's) is contained within the subordinate clause in blue.
Since they are contained within different clauses, the two usages are correct.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:247 members

by ceilidh.erickson » Sun May 21, 2017 2:23 pm
Mo2men wrote: How come there same pronoun 'it' with different antecedents? In the non underline sentence 'it' refer to the 'worm' and the 'its' refer to 'parasite's'. Is not it violation for a rule that we can 't have two antecedents for one pronoun?

Thanks
The worm is the parasite: "the parasitic worm." In that respect, the word "parasite" itself is functioning as a kind of pronoun / shorthand. So we don't need to distinguish between "worm" and "parasite" as antecedents.
Ceilidh Erickson
EdM in Mind, Brain, and Education
Harvard Graduate School of Education