heterotopias SC

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:5 members

heterotopias SC

by prachi18oct » Sat May 20, 2017 1:03 am
As cultural hybridity, new religious practices in Thailand express a mix of reality and non-reality or mythic elements, which Foucault (1986) defined as "heterotopias", spaces that have many layers of meaning or relationships to other places than immediately meet the eye.

a)new religious practices in Thailand express a mix of reality and non-reality or mythic elements, which Foucault (1986) defined as "heterotopias", spaces that have many layers of meaning or relationships to other places than

b)new religious practices in Thailand express a mix of reality and non-reality or mythic elements, which Foucault (1986) defined as "heterotopias", spaces that have many layers of meaning or relationships to other places as

c) new religious practices in Thailand express a mix of reality and non-reality or mythic elements, which Foucault (1986) defined as "heterotopias", a term that describes spaces that have more layers of meaning or relationships to other places than

d)new religious practices in Thailand express a mix of reality and non-reality with mythic elements, which Foucault (1986) defined as "heterotopias", a term that describes spaces, that have more layers of meaning or relationships than other places, which

e)new religious practices in Thailand express a mix of reality and non-reality or mythic elements, and Foucault (1986) defined them as "heterotopias" , spaces that have more layers of meaning or relationships to other places that

Here is my reasoning of eliminated choices and doubts.
Experts please help.

A) Firstly heterotopias is not spaces . Moreover, "than" is used without any comparative form such as more/less - eliminated
B) Same reason as A. Also "as" is not making sense in the end - as immediately meet the eye - ELIMINATED
D) comma + that is incorrect . Also changes meaning with "relationship than other places" From original sentence, the comparasion is between layers . Also, which incorrectly modifies "places" instead of layers

Between C & E
Although E had multiple issues :-
Same modifier issue with hetertopias as in A B
E had incorrect idiom "more " and no than. Also use of , and Faucalt seemed not so correct.( is it correct?)
but the presence of "that" forced me to ignore the other two major issues with this option.
(Very very ridiculous reason , I know)

Also, I was doubtful that C is correctly applying ellipsis .
I dont get how ellipsis is correct in option C.

spaces that have more layers of meaning or relationships to other places than (layers of meaning or relationships to other places that) immediately meet the eye.
"that" is not present in sentence and I have read that ellipsis uses the part which is already been used in the sentence. So how is this correct ?
Please correct my understanding for such ellipsis usage.

Many thanks in advance!

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:204 members

by Ali Tariq » Sat May 20, 2017 3:07 am
Much better to ignore this SC.
Even if you want to understand a specific concept, there are way much better ways.

Contact for drastic improvement in just a few days.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:5 members

by prachi18oct » Sat May 20, 2017 4:15 am
These are all GMAT club test questions and all 700 level.
I seem to get almost all 700 level questions wrong. This is disheartening.

Can you please explain the correct ellipsis usage with correct version of this example.

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor

by Ali Tariq » Sat May 20, 2017 7:09 pm
Comparisons essentially is parallelism.
All that is true for parallelism is true for comparisons.
Elements placed parallel to each other in parallelism need to be structurally and logically parallel.
Similarly, elements placed parallel to each other in comparisons need to be structurally and logically parallel.

C)spaces that have more layers of meaning or relationships to other places than immediately meet the eye.

more X(LHS) than Y(RHS).[1]
X and Y need to be parallel.
Here, the R.H.S of parallel structure is a clause.
In L.H.S, we have nothing parallel to it.

those that would have been required here.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Firstly heterotopias is not spaces .
Correct! illogical apposition.
Moreover, "than" is used without any comparative form such as more/less - eliminated
Correct!
We can have more used without than but not the other way round( when second part of comparison is implied).
B)Also "as" is not making sense in the end - as immediately meet the eye - ELIMINATED
Moreover, this choice has gotton rid of the notion of comparison altogether, a change in meaning unacceptable in this particular situation.
D) comma + that is incorrect .
,that in this particular case is incorrect.
However, ,that is not always incorrect.

D) Also, which incorrectly modifies "places" instead of layers
which clause, a non essential modifier(clause), is downright nonsensical here.

E had incorrect idiom "more " and no than.
more can appear without than( when second part of comparison is implied), as i mentioned earlier.
However, in this particular situation, than is required.
This mix n match of more with that is incorrect/ unidiomatic.
E)Also use of , and Faucalt seemed not so correct.( is it correct?)
Structurally parallel.
Logically, however, not. Thus, incorrect.

PS:
[1]
not both X and Y type ll-ism (two part ll-ism) structure but X and Y type ll-ism(one part ll-ism structure).
Last edited by Ali Tariq on Sat May 20, 2017 10:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor

by Ali Tariq » Sat May 20, 2017 7:36 pm
Correct answer choice has other potential problems as well, problems that other choices have also retained.
So, it is better to ignore this SC.