If p, x, and y are positive integers, y is odd, and p = x^2

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:4 members
If p, x, and y are positive integers, y is odd, and p = x^2 + y^2, is x divisible by 4?

(1) When p is divided by 8, the remainder is 5
(2) x - y = 3

Source: GMATPrep
OA=A

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:34 members

by Jay@ManhattanReview » Mon May 01, 2017 6:25 am
ziyuenlau wrote:If p, x, and y are positive integers, y is odd, and p = x^2 + y^2, is x divisible by 4?

(1) When p is divided by 8, the remainder is 5
(2) x - y = 3

Source: GMATPrep
OA=A
Since y is odd, say y = 2n + 1; where n is a non-negative integer

Thus, p = x^2 + y^2 = x^2 + (2n+1)^2 = x^2 + 4n^2 + 4n + 1

p = x^2 + 4n^2 + 4n + 1

Statement 1: When p is divided by 8, the remainder is 5

Say p = 8m + 5; where m is a non-negative integer

Thus, 8m + 5 = x^2 + 4n^2 + 4n + 1

=> x^2 = 8m - 4n^2 - 4n + 4

=> x^2 = 4(2m - n^2 - n + 1)

=> x^2 = 4[2m + (n^2 + n) + 1]

=> x^2 = 4[EVEN + EVEN + ODD]; (n^2 + n) is EVEN whether n is EVEN or ODD.

=> x^2 = 4*ODD

=> x = 2*[sqrt(ODD)]

=> x is not a multiple of 4. Sufficient.

Statement 2: x - y = 3

Since y is odd, say y = 2n + 1; where n is a non-negative integer

=> x - (2n+1) = 3

=> x = 2n + 4

=> x = 2(n +2)

If n is EVEN, x = 2*EVEN = multiple of 4. The answer is YES.

However, If n is ODD, x = 2*ODD = Not a multiple of 4. The answer is NO. Insufficient.

The correct answer: A

Hope this helps!

Relevant book: Manhattan Review GMAT Data Sufficiency Guide

-Jay

Locations: New York | Frankfurt | Hong Kong | Zurich | and many more...

Schedule your free consultation with an experienced GMAT Prep Advisor! Click here.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Mon May 01, 2017 9:38 am
Hi ziyuenlau,

This question can be solved with a mix of Number Properties and TESTing VALUES.

We're told that P, X and Y are all POSITIVE INTEGERS, that Y is ODD and that P = X^2 + Y^2. We're asked if X is divisible by 4. This is a YES/NO question.

1) When P is divided by 8, the remainder is 5

With this Fact, we know that P must be ODD (since it's 5 more than a multiple of 8... re. 5, 13, 21, 29, 37, 45, 53, 61 etc.). We already know that Y is ODD, so Y^2 will also be an ODD perfect square. Therefore....

P = X^2 + Y^2
Odd = X^2 + Odd

So X^2 MUST be EVEN. We were originally told that X must be an INTEGER, so since X^2 is EVEN, then X is EVEN. Now let's TEST VALUES around possible values of X...

IF...
X = 2 and X^2 = 4, Y = 1 and P = 5, then the answer to the question is NO.

IF....
X = 4 and X^2 = 16, then we run into a problem. Given the possible values for P (re. 5, 13, 21, 29, 37, 45, 53, 61 etc.), and X^2 = 16, Y^2 would then have to be a value in the sequence:

Y^2 = 5, 13, 21, 29, 37, etc.

But none of those are perfect squares. Without a possible corresponding value for Y, X=4 is NOT a possible value here.

IF...
X = 6 and X^2 = 36, Y = 1 and P = 37, then the answer to the question is NO.

IF....
X = 8 and X^2 = 64, then we run into the same problem as before. Given the possible values for P, and X^2 = 64, Y^2 would have to be a value in the sequence:

Y^2 = 5, 13, 21, 29, 37, etc.

This is the same sequence we saw before - and again - none of those are perfect squares. Without a possible corresponding value for Y, X=8 is NOT a possible value here. At this point, we see something of a pattern - positive multiples of 4 do NOT 'fit' what we're told, while even non-multiples-of-4 DO fit. Thus, I'd deduce that X is NOT a multiple of 4 and the answer to the question is ALWAYS NO.
Fact 1 is SUFFICIENT.

2) X - Y = 3

IF....
Y = 1, X = 4 and the answer to the question is YES.
Y = 3, X = 6 and the answer to the question is NO.
Fact 2 is INSUFFICIENT

Final Answer: A

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Last edited by [email protected] on Thu May 18, 2017 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Contact Rich at [email protected]

Legendary Member
Followed by:5 members

by Mo2men » Thu May 18, 2017 2:28 am
[email protected] wrote:Hi ziyuenlau,

This question can be solved with a mix of Number Properties and TESTing VALUES.

We're told that P, X and Y are all POSITIVE INTEGERS, that Y is ODD and that P = X^2 + Y^2. We're asked if X is divisible by 4. This is a YES/NO question.

1) When P is divided by 8, the remainder is 5

With this Fact, we know that P must be ODD (since it's 5 more than a multiple of 8... re. 5, 13, 21, 29, 37, etc.). We already know that Y is ODD, so Y^2 will also be ODD. Therefore....

P = X^2 + Y^2
Odd = X^2 + Odd

So X^2 MUST be EVEN. We were originally told that X must be an INTEGER, so since X^2 is EVEN, then X is EVEN. Squaring ANY even integer will give you a multiple of 4...

0^2 = 0 = (0)(4)
2^2 = 4 = (1)(4)
4^2 = 16 = (4)(4)
6^2 = 36 = (9)(4)
8^2 = 64 = (16)(4)
Etc.
Thus, X wil ALWAYS be divisible by 4 and the answer to the question is ALWAYS YES.
Fact 1 is SUFFICIENT

2) X - Y = 3

IF....
Y = 1, X = 4 and the answer to the question is YES.
Y = 3, X = 6 and the answer to the question is NO.
Fact 2 is INSUFFICIENT

Final Answer: A

Rich
Dear Rich,

While I was reviewing your answer, you are the only who proofed that Fact 1 is Always 'yes'. All answers proofed the fact 1 is always NO.

You answer contradicts the above answer by Jay and Mitch and Bunuel in the following links

https://www.beatthegmat.com/tough-remind ... 92419.html

https://gmatclub.com/forum/if-p-x-and-y ... 82399.html

Also quick note, you used zero in fact 1, while x is positive integer so zero is invalid.

P.S. I apologize to cite another instructors but I do not mean any comparison. But I wonder why you answer is different.

Thanks in advance

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1268 members
GMAT Score:770

by Brent@GMATPrepNow » Thu May 18, 2017 8:11 am
[email protected] wrote: So X^2 MUST be EVEN. We were originally told that X must be an INTEGER, so since X^2 is EVEN, then X is EVEN. Squaring ANY even integer will give you a multiple of 4...

0^2 = 0 = (0)(4)
2^2 = 4 = (1)(4)
4^2 = 16 = (4)(4)
6^2 = 36 = (9)(4)
8^2 = 64 = (16)(4)
Etc.
Thus, X wil ALWAYS be divisible by 4 and the answer to the question is ALWAYS YES.
Fact 1 is SUFFICIENT
Hey Rich,

In your solution, you proved that x² is divisible by 4, but you concluded that x is divisible by 4.

Cheers,
Brent
Brent Hanneson - Creator of GMATPrepNow.com

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Thu May 18, 2017 3:21 pm
Hi Mo2men,

Brent properly defined the error - I lost track of the question while dealing with Fact 1 and instead answered the question "Is X^2 divisible by 4?" I've edited my post accordingly.

After revisiting this prompt, there's a subtle 'issue' with it. GMAT question writers are remarkably good at designing questions that will keep a Test Taker from answering a question correctly if that person makes a mistake. While working through Fact 1, I clearly lost sight of the question that was asked (and answered a different, albeit "similar" question). In the end, I ended up with the correct answer, but I shouldn't have - I made a mistake and I should have gotten this question wrong because of it. This could potentially be described as 'luck', but at higher and higher scoring levels, that type of result isn't supposed to occur. It makes me wonder if this question was in the "active pool" of questions for very long (or if it 'tested out' during the Experimental phase). Regardless, there's a big lesson in all of this: always make sure to answer the question that is ASKED.

Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]