Mexican agrarian revolution

This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member

Mexican agrarian revolution

by real2008 » Sun Aug 16, 2009 2:24 am
At the time of the Mexican agrarian revolution, the most radical faction, that of Zapata and his followers, proposed a return to communal ownership of land, to what had been a pre-Columbian form of ownership respected by the Spaniards.

1. land, to what had been a pre-Columbian form of ownership respected by the Spaniards
2. land, a form of ownership of the pre-Columbians and respected by the Spaniards
3. land, respected by the Spaniards and a pre-Columbian form of ownership
4. land in which a pre-Columbian form of ownership was respected by the Spaniards
5. land that had been a pre-Columbian form of ownership respected by the Spaniards

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by riteshbindal » Sun Aug 16, 2009 2:53 am
I think its E. Actually confused between A and E but will try my luck on E :) OA plz

Legendary Member

by real2008 » Sun Aug 16, 2009 3:14 am
riteshbindal wrote:I think its E. Actually confused between A and E but will try my luck on E :) OA plz
pl, first of all, tell why you zeroed in on to A and E, and then mention the confusing factor that has caused to choose E

Legendary Member
Followed by:1 members

by niraj_a » Sun Aug 16, 2009 3:59 am
i choose A, between A and E. B C D change meaning if you read literally. a comma after land sounded better to me in A.

by tom4lax » Tue Aug 18, 2009 2:31 pm
IMO E is correct. Also between A & E, however incorrect use of comma in A I believe. The last part of the sentence is modifying and E is in correct form.

OA?

Legendary Member

by nervesofsteel » Tue Aug 18, 2009 6:37 pm
IMO B

That in E may refer to Land ..
So B ... "land, a form of ownership of the pre-Columbians and respected by the Spaniards"

a form distinctively describes what is being modified...

whts the OA..??

GMAT Score:700

by capnx » Tue Aug 18, 2009 6:46 pm
this one's tricky. I remember the OA is A (99% sure).

the original sentence, "land" is not the "pre-Columbian form of ownership". In E, by using "that" which refers back to "land", the meaning is changed. In B, "a form of ownership..." also refers back to land, so also changes the meaning.

There's no gramatical error in A. It uses "to what..." refering to the "a return to communal ownership"

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
GMAT Score:730

by rainmaker » Tue Aug 18, 2009 7:33 pm
A seems to be the correct answer.

Re: Mexican agrarian revolution

by sk8ternite » Tue Aug 18, 2009 8:42 pm
real2008 wrote:At the time of the Mexican agrarian revolution, the most radical faction, that of Zapata and his followers, proposed a return to communal ownership of land, to what had been a pre-Columbian form of ownership respected by the Spaniards.

1. land, to what had been a pre-Columbian form of ownership respected by the Spaniards
2. land, a form of ownership of the pre-Columbians and respected by the Spaniards
4. land in which a pre-Columbian form of ownership was respected by the Spaniards
5. land that had been a pre-Columbian form of ownership respected by the Spaniards
I picked B. Is it wrong because there should not be an and between "a form of ownership of the pre-columbians" and "respected by the spaniards". Would "a form of ownership of the pre-columbians respected by the spaniards" be correct?

by vikram_k51 » Tue Aug 18, 2009 8:44 pm
At the time of the Mexican agrarian revolution, the most radical faction, that of Zapata and his followers, proposed a return to communal ownership of land, to what had been a pre-Columbian form of ownership respected by the Spaniards.

Will go with B.

by gmatv09 » Tue Aug 18, 2009 9:29 pm
IMO A
==> "to what had been ..." refers to the type of ownership

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Re: Mexican agrarian revolution

by nauruz » Tue Aug 18, 2009 10:03 pm
real2008 wrote:At the time of the Mexican agrarian revolution, the most radical faction, that of Zapata and his followers, proposed a return to communal ownership of land, to what had been a pre-Columbian form of ownership respected by the Spaniards.

IMO E, this is the only answer not wordy. TO in A is not required, in A pre-columbian and respected is awkward, in D in which is useless

IMO

by enniguy » Fri Oct 30, 2009 3:15 am
Did anyone find a convincing reply to choose A over E? Please put up the link if you did find any experts view somewhere.

My opinion: The most radical faction (Zapata and his followers) proposed a return to communal ownership of land and not just the land.

It need not be the form of ownership of pre-columbians now. It had been. So WRONG.

Sounds like the communal ownership of land was respected by a pre-columbian form of ownership. WRONG

WRONG meaning altogether

Here 'that' stands for restricting type of lands that had been a pre columbian form of ownership. The statement is actually speaking about communal ownership of land and not land itself. Hence this option is wrong.

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by JEnIUS » Fri Oct 30, 2009 4:29 am
IMO E. it is better structured than A..

Legendary Member
Followed by:2 members

by tanviet » Tue Dec 01, 2009 7:03 am
check grammar before check meaning logic or die

check grammar

"a form" is not parallel to "repected". B is out

"respected" is not parallel to "a pre-Co form" . C is out

in D, IN WHICH mean IN LAND or IN OWNERSHIP . FORM OF OWNERSHIP can not be in them. D is out

in E, THAT HAD can refer to LAND and so ambiguous

A is left