00:00

Your Answer

A

B

C

D

E

Global Stats

Aaron will jog from home at x miles per hour and then walk back home by the same route at y miles per
hour. How many miles from home can Aaron jog so that he spends a total of t hours jogging and walking?
A.xt/y
B.(x+t)/xy
C.xyt/(x+y)
D.(x+y+t)/xy
E.(y+t)/x-t/y

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1268 members
GMAT Score:770

by Brent@GMATPrepNow » Sat Apr 29, 2017 5:06 am
acegmat29 wrote:Aaron will jog from home at x miles per hour and then walk back home by the same route at y miles per
hour. How many miles from home can Aaron jog so that he spends a total of t hours jogging and walking?
A. xt/y
B. (x+t)/xy
C. xyt/(x+y)
D. (x+y+t)/xy
E. (y+t)/x- t/y
As with all VIACs (Variables In the Answer Choices questions), we can solve this via the INPUT-OUTPUT approach or via an ALGEBRAIC approach.

Here's an algebraic approach:

Let's let d = the number of miles (distance) that Aaron JOGS.
This means that d also = the distance that Aaron WALKS.

Let's start with a WORD EQUATION:
total time = (time spent jogging) + (time spent walking)
In other words: t = (time spent jogging) + (time spent walking)
Since time = distance/speed, we can write: t = d/x + d/y [our goal is to solve this equation for d]
The least common multiple of x and y is xy, so we can eliminate the fractions by multiplying both sides by xy. When we do so, we get...
txy = dy + dx
Factor right side to get: txy = d(x + y)
Divide both sides by (x+y) to get: txy/(x+y) = d
So, the correct answer is C

Cheers,
Brent
Brent Hanneson - Creator of GMATPrepNow.com

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Sat Apr 29, 2017 5:46 am
Aaron will jog from home at x miles per hour and then walk back home by the same route at y miles per hour. How many miles from home can Aaron jog so that he spends a total of t hours jogging and walking?

(A) xt/y

(B) (x+t)/(xy)

(C) (xyt)/(x+y)

(D) (x+y+t)/(xy)

(E) [(y+t)/x] - (t/y)
Let the distance = 10 miles.
Let x = 5 miles per hour and y = 2 miles per hour.
Time for Aaron to jog 10 miles at a rate of 5 miles per hour = d/r = 10/5 = 2 hours.
Time for Aaron to walk 10 miles at a rate of 2 miles per hour = d/r = 10/2 = 5 hours.
t = total time spent jogging and walking = 2+5 = 7 hours.

The question stem ask for the distance that Aaron jogs (10 miles).
This is our target.
Now plug x=5, y=2 and t=7 into the answer choices to see which yields our target of 7.
Only C works:
(xyt)/(x+y) = (5*2*7)/(5+2) = 10.

The correct answer is C.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

Legendary Member
Followed by:5 members

by Mo2men » Sat Apr 29, 2017 8:00 am
Dear Experts,

What does the stem ask for? I understood it as if I will use the total time to find NEW distance form home? How can In interpret t correctly?

Thanks

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Sat Apr 29, 2017 9:02 am
Hi acegmat29,

This question can be solved by TESTing VALUES. I'm going to give you a couple of hints so that you can attempt this question on your own...

1) Since this question has so many variables, you want to make sure that the variables are easy to work with. Try using X = 3 miles/hour and Y = 2 miles/hour and set each distance at 6 miles.
2) You'll have to do some simple calculations to figure out the time traveled in each direction and the total time (T), which you'll need to answer the question.
3) TEST those values in the answer choices; you're looking for answer that equals 6.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:247 members

by ceilidh.erickson » Wed May 03, 2017 11:45 am
Mo2men wrote:Dear Experts,

What does the stem ask for? I understood it as if I will use the total time to find NEW distance form home? How can In interpret t correctly?

Thanks
We can infer that the time t is defined as the total time spent jogging and walking. It's as if he knows exactly how long he wants to spend, and knows exactly the speeds at which he'll jog and walk. And based on that, he wants to determine how far he can go.

So there's no such thing as "new" or "old" distance. Imagine that before he leaves the house, he has a plan: "I want to go a total of t hours, and my speeds are x for jogging and y for walking. So that means I can jog a distance of d miles, then turn around and walk back the same d miles."

Did that help?

I posted a full algebraic solution here: https://www.beatthegmat.com/og-13-24-t288366.html#765096
Ceilidh Erickson
EdM in Mind, Brain, and Education
Harvard Graduate School of Education

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:29 members

by Scott@TargetTestPrep » Fri Apr 27, 2018 9:38 am
acegmat29 wrote:Aaron will jog from home at x miles per hour and then walk back home by the same route at y miles per
A.xt/y
B.(x+t)/xy
C.xyt/(x+y)
D.(x+y+t)/xy
E.(y+t)/x-t/y
We can let d = the distance traveled when walking and jogging.

Thus, the jogging time is d/x and the walking time is d/y. Since the total time is t:

d/x + d/y = t

Multiply the entire equation by xy:

dy + dx = txy

d(y + x) = txy

d = txy/(y + x)

Answer: C

Scott Woodbury-Stewart
Founder and CEO
[email protected]

See why Target Test Prep is rated 5 out of 5 stars on BEAT the GMAT. Read our reviews

ImageImage