Parktown crimes

This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member
Followed by:26 members
GMAT Score:680

Parktown crimes

by sam2304 » Fri May 18, 2012 7:14 am
Citizens of parktown are worried by the increased frequency of serious crimes committed by local teenagers. In response, the city government has instituted a series of measures designed to keep teenagers at home in the late evening. Even if the measures succeed in keeping teenagers at home, however, they are unlikely to affect the problem that concerns citizens, since most crimes committed by local teenagers take place between 3pm and 6pm

Which of the following,if true, most substantially weakens the argument ?

1) Similar measures adopted in other place have failed to reduce the no of teenagers in the late evening
2) Crimes committed by teenagers in afternoon are mostly small thefts and inconsequential vandalism
3) teenagers are much less likely to commit serious crimes when they are at home than when they are not at home
4) Any decrease in the need for police patrols in late evening would not mean that there could be more intensive patrolling in the afternoon
5) The schools in parktown have introduced a number of after school programs that will be available to teenagers until 6pm on weekday afternoons

Please explain your pick.
Getting defeated is just a temporary notion, giving it up is what makes it permanent.
https://gmatandbeyond.blogspot.in/

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Fri May 18, 2012 7:58 am
sam2304 wrote:Citizens of parktown are worried by the increased frequency of serious crimes committed by local teenagers. In response, the city government has instituted a series of measures designed to keep teenagers at home in the late evening. Even if the measures succeed in keeping teenagers at home, however, they are unlikely to affect the problem that concerns citizens, since most crimes committed by local teenagers take place between 3pm and 6pm.

Which of the following,if true, most substantially weakens the argument ?

1) Similar measures adopted in other places have failed to reduce the no of teenagers in the late evening
2) Crimes committed by teenagers in the afternoon are mostly small thefts and inconsequential vandalism.
3) teenagers are much less likely to commit serious crimes when they are at home than when they are not at home
4) Any decrease in the need for police patrols in late evening would not mean that there could be more intensive patrolling in the afternoon
5) The schools in parktown have introduced a number of after school programs that will be available to teenagers until 6pm on weekday afternoons

Please explain your pick.

Premise: The city government has instituted measures to keep teenagers at home in the late evening, but MOST CRIMES committed by teenagers take place between 3pm and 6pm.
Conclusion: The new measures are unlikely to curb the increase in SERIOUS CRIMES.

Notice the change in LANGUAGE and SCOPE.
The premise is about MOST CRIMES, but the conclusion is about SERIOUS CRIMES.
MOST CRIMES ≠ SERIOUS CRIMES.
The assumption here is that the CRIMES committed between 3pm and 6pm are SERIOUS.
To break the link between the premise and the conclusion, the correct answer must show that the CRIMES committed between 3pm and 6pm are NOT SERIOUS.

Answer choice B does just that: Crimes committed by teenagers in the afternoon are mostly small thefts and inconsequential vandalism.

The correct answer is B.
Last edited by GMATGuruNY on Mon Feb 17, 2014 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

Legendary Member
Followed by:26 members
GMAT Score:680

by sam2304 » Fri May 18, 2012 8:35 pm
OA: B

That's a great explanation Mitch, but can you explain why E is not a weakener. Find my reasoning below.

Teenagers are causing trouble. Govt has taken measures to keep teenagers at home. -> This plan will not be effective since most crimes take place between 3 pm and 6 pm.

Now we are to weaken the above conc and prove the plan will work out well.

It says the schools have introduced programs to keep the teenagers busy till 6. So this weakens the argument right ? ? Am I going wrong somewhere ?
Getting defeated is just a temporary notion, giving it up is what makes it permanent.
https://gmatandbeyond.blogspot.in/

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by ihatemaths » Fri May 18, 2012 9:59 pm
ya why not E ?

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by icemanKK » Fri May 18, 2012 10:57 pm
I chose 'E' as well . But now I think it can be regarded incorrect , cause the statement says that the courses are available (i.e. it may not be mandatory for students to attend them) .....

This could be A REASON for rejecting 'E' .... not sure if I am over-thinking though ....

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by rajcools » Sat May 19, 2012 8:26 am
E says courses are available. It is not mandatory for students to attend it.
So it is incorrect.

B is the only relevant option here

Followed by:4 members
GMAT Score:720

by ice_rush » Sat May 19, 2012 9:46 am
as you guys pointed out the fact that courses 'are' available does not mean students will enroll in those courses.

For a minute if we were to assume that all students are enrolled in the after school programs which are available only during weekdays... then what about the weekends?? the teenagers will be committing crimes on Saturday and Sunday.

hope this helps!

Followed by:20 members
GMAT Score:730

by penguinfoot » Sat May 19, 2012 11:16 am
I would second ice_rush.
E is a classic type of trap set by GMAT. This type of trap is often used to bring in additional piece of information not useful for weakening the argument.
**Remember that the correct weaken answer attacks both assumption/evidence and conclusion.

"Citizens of parktown are worried by the increased frequency of serious crimes committed by local teenagers"
"most crimes committed by local teenagers take place between 3pm and 6pm "
Find the logical gap ?
The Author assumes that a significant portion of the "serious crimes" overlap with "most crimes"

There is nothing wrong with E -> But it neither weakens nor strengthens the argument significantly.
Teenagers are causing trouble. Govt has taken measures to keep teenagers at home. -> This plan will not be effective since most crimes take place between 3 pm and 6 pm.

Now we are to weaken the above conc and prove the plan will work out well.

It says the schools have introduced programs to keep the teenagers busy till 6. So this weakens the argument right ? ? Am I going wrong somewhere ?
But still -> E is correct - if you accept the conclusion provided by the author.
"Hakunamatata" - No Worries.
Alma Mater: Indian School of Business, Hyderabad
Like my Post ? You can thank me now!

Legendary Member
Followed by:12 members
GMAT Score:700

by bubbliiiiiiii » Wed Aug 01, 2012 1:05 am
If E is true, it restricts the number of students on the street only during WEEKDAYS and fails to consider WEEKENDS.

I eliminated E based on the above point.

Hope it helps.
Regards,

Pranay

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by TheGraduate » Fri Apr 28, 2017 4:28 am
I'm not sure I get the point. If by B)The crimes committed by teenagers in the afternoon are mostly small thefts and inconsequential vandalism, then the conclusion (they are unlikely to affect the problem that concerns citizens) seems to remain unaffected since it would mean that the serious crimes are being committed by someone else. Serious crime would still continue if teenagers are committing petty crimes.
What am I missing?

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Fri Apr 28, 2017 6:25 am
TheGraduate wrote:it would mean that the serious crimes are being committed by someone else. Serious crime would still continue if teenagers are committing petty crimes.
What am I missing?
Conclusion:
The measures are unlikely to affect the problem that concerns citizens.
Premise:
Citizens of Parktown are worried by the increased frequency of serious crimes committed by local teenagers.
The problem that concerns citizens is the portion in blue.
Serious crimes committed by other people are irrelevant.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3