wasps

This topic has expert replies
MBA Student
Followed by:17 members
GMAT Score:710

wasps

by gmat740 » Mon Jun 08, 2009 8:18 am
Yellow jackets number among the 900 or so species of the world’s social wasps, wasps living in a highly cooperative and organized society where they consist almost entirely of females—the queen and her sterile female workers.
A. wasps living in a highly cooperative and organized society where they consist almost entirely of
B. wasps that live in a highly cooperative and organized society consisting almost entirely of
C. which means they live in a highly cooperative and organized society, almost all
D. which means that their society is highly cooperative, organized, and it is almost entirely
E. living in a society that is highly cooperative, organized, and it consists of almost all

Oa- B
IMO E : Why do we need wasps to precede living?

Legendary Member

Re: wasps

by real2008 » Tue Jun 09, 2009 12:07 am
gmat740 wrote:Yellow jackets number among the 900 or so species of the world’s social wasps, wasps living in a highly cooperative and organized society where they consist almost entirely of females—the queen and her sterile female workers.
A. wasps living in a highly cooperative and organized society where they consist almost entirely of
B. wasps that live in a highly cooperative and organized society consisting almost entirely of
C. which means they live in a highly cooperative and organized society, almost all
D. which means that their society is highly cooperative, organized, and it is almost entirely
E. living in a society that is highly cooperative, organized, and it consists of almost all

Oa- B

@740:

Because that is defining social wasps. E is wrong as 'it' is wrongly modifying to social wasp(s)

Legendary Member
Followed by:2 members

by goelmohit2002 » Sun Oct 04, 2009 5:03 am
can we refer society with where in A ?

Legendary Member
Followed by:1 members

by scoobydooby » Sun Oct 04, 2009 9:59 am
in A, guess it is not proper to use "where" to refer to society. "in which" would have been better.

Legendary Member
Followed by:2 members

by goelmohit2002 » Sun Oct 04, 2009 10:46 am
scoobydooby wrote:in A, guess it is not proper to use "where" to refer to society. "in which" would have been better.
Thanks Scooby !!!

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by poseid101 » Mon Jan 18, 2010 8:54 am
by the way, just found the origin of this made-up wrong sentence here:

https://www.nytimes.com/1999/08/17/scien ... wanted=all

Yellow jackets are also waspish, literally speaking. They number among the 900 or so species of the world's social wasps, Edith Wharton wasps if you will, which means they live in a highly cooperative and organized society consisting almost entirely of females -- the queen and her sterile female workers.

"social wasps, wasps that ..." --> wasps that is a noun phrase, right?

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by gmatapril » Sat Feb 26, 2011 2:01 pm
why is E WRONG. Isn't LIVING modifying the subject YELLOW JACKETS.

Legendary Member
Followed by:3 members

by clock60 » Sat Feb 26, 2011 2:38 pm
hi gmatapril
Living here for sure modifiers Yellow Jackets, as well as preceding clause and there is no mistake,
the problem with E that the rest of the sentence is not ||

it consists is not || with cooperative and organized
better version must looks like
society that is highly cooperative, organized and consisting of almost.....

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by gmatapril » Sat Feb 26, 2011 3:09 pm
clock60 wrote:hi gmatapril
Living here for sure modifiers Yellow Jackets, as well as preceding clause and there is no mistake,
the problem with E that the rest of the sentence is not ||

it consists is not || with cooperative and organized
better version must looks like
society that is highly cooperative, organized and consisting of almost.....
thanks for the explanation

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Sat Feb 26, 2011 4:53 pm
gmat740 wrote:Yellow jackets number among the 900 or so species of the world�s social wasps, wasps living in a highly cooperative and organized society where they consist almost entirely of females�the queen and her sterile female workers.

Oa- B
In C and D, it is unclear what noun is being replaced by the pronoun which. Eliminate C and D.

In E, the pronoun it is ambiguous. Eliminate E.

In A, the pronoun they suggests that the wasps consist almost entirely of females; the intended meaning is that the society consists almost entirely of females. Eliminate A.

The correct answer is B.

In B, wasps that live in a highly cooperative and organized society consisting almost entirely of females is a resumptive modifier. A resumptive modifier:

-- repeats a key word in the sentence
-- adds additional information about that key word
-- often includes the pronoun that
-- usually appears at the end of the sentence

Hope this helps!
Last edited by GMATGuruNY on Fri Mar 24, 2017 9:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

Legendary Member
Followed by:6 members

by navami » Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:29 am
GMATGuruNY wrote:
gmat740 wrote:Yellow jackets number among the 900 or so species of the world�s social wasps, wasps living in a highly cooperative and organized society where they consist almost entirely of females�the queen and her sterile female workers.

Oa- B
In C and D, it is unclear what noun is being replaced by the pronoun which. Eliminate C and D.

In A, the pronoun they suggests that the wasps consist almost entirely of females; the intended meaning is that the society consists almost entirely of females. Also, where should used to refer only to a place. Eliminate A.

The correct answer is B.

In B, wasps that live in a highly cooperative and organized society consisting almost entirely of females is a resumptive modifier. A resumptive modifier:

Hope this helps!
Can't It of option E, refer to the nearest noun that is society in this case? GMATGuru please explain.

GMAT Instructor

by GMATGuruNY » Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:39 am
navami wrote:
GMATGuruNY wrote:

Oa- B

In A, the pronoun they suggests that the wasps consist almost entirely of females; the intended meaning is that the society consists almost entirely of females. Also, where should used to refer only to a place. Eliminate A.

The correct answer is B.

Hope this helps!
Can't It of option E, refer to the nearest noun that is society in this case? GMATGuru please explain.
A subject pronoun (such as it, which is the subject of the verb consists) should not be used to refer to the object of a preposition (in the phrase living in a society, society is the object of the preposition in).

E also lacks parallelism: that is highly cooperative, organized is not parallel with it consists. To maintain parallelism, E should say:

...a society that is highly cooperative, organized, and consisting of...
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

Legendary Member
Followed by:7 members

by GMATMadeEasy » Wed Mar 02, 2011 3:03 pm
@Mitch : For options C and D you have mentioned that "which" does not have a clear noun to refer to .

However, OG explanation does not mention this. Could we safely remove answer choices with such usage of which ? I was not sure when i did this question, so want to confirm.

GMAT Instructor

by GMATGuruNY » Thu Mar 03, 2011 3:38 am
GMATMadeEasy wrote:@Mitch : For options C and D you have mentioned that "which" does not have a clear noun to refer to .

However, OG explanation does not mention this. Could we safely remove answer choices with such usage of which ? I was not sure when i did this question, so want to confirm.

Yes. Like all pronouns, which requires a clear referent. If it's unclear what noun is being replaced by the pronoun which -- or if which is referring to the wrong noun -- eliminate the answer choice.
Last edited by GMATGuruNY on Fri Mar 24, 2017 9:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

Legendary Member
Followed by:6 members

by navami » Thu Mar 03, 2011 8:37 am
GMATGuruNY wrote:
navami wrote:
GMATGuruNY wrote:

Oa- B

The correct answer is B.

Hope this helps!
A subject pronoun (such as it, which is the subject of the verb consists) should not be used to refer to the object of a preposition (in the phrase living in a society, society is the object of the preposition in).

E also lacks parallelism: that is highly cooperative, organized is not parallel with it consists. To maintain parallelism, E should say:

...a society that is highly cooperative, organized, and consisting of...
Thanks!!! :)