Compared to high school students, who readily understand

This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member
Followed by:5 members
Compared to high school students, who readily understand the numerous theorems of Geometry, most of the theorems of Number Theory are sophisticated, with those with advanced degrees in mathematics only understanding them.

A. Compared to high school students, who readily understand the numerous theorems of Geometry, most of the theorems of Number Theory are sophisticated, with those with advanced degrees in mathematics only understanding them.
B. In contrast to the numerous theorems of Geometry readily accessible to high school students, most of the theorems of Number Theory are so sophisticated that only those with advanced degrees in mathematics can understand them.
C. Compared with the numerous theorems of Geometry, which are readily accessible to high school students, Number Theory has theorems so sophisticated that only those with advanced degrees in mathematics can understand them.
D. Compared to Geometry, numerous theorems of which are readily accessible to high school students, Number Theory has theorems so sophisticated as those with advanced degrees in mathematics only understanding them.
E. Compared to Geometry, which has numerous theorems that are readily accessible to high school students, Number Theory, which has many theorems that are so sophisticated that only those with advanced degrees in mathematics can understand them.

Source: Magoosh

OA: B

In choice C & D, is meaning of 'Number Theory has theorems' correct? I understand it as 'Number Theory owns/posses theorems' which it is wrong from my view. Am I right?

Any help would be appreciated

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:204 members

by Ali Tariq » Sun Apr 02, 2017 9:49 pm
In choice C & D, is meaning of 'Number Theory has theorems' correct?
NT has theorms is fine, no problem here.
I understand it as 'Number Theory owns/posses theorems' which it is wrong from my view. Am I right?
No.

Let me state examples that are self explanatory -

Mo2men is so passionate about getting into Stanford GSB that he has no time to play with his friends.
They have time to play with us.
They don't have time to play with us.
My cousin and his wife have 3 kids.
Jimmy has a new job.
We have many good friends.
They have a lot of talent.
Jack and Jill have 12 kids.
I have brown eyes.
Jacky has a good memory.

Usage of has/have in all of these examples is fine and so in C and D.

Contact for drastic improvement in just a few days.

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Mon Apr 03, 2017 3:39 am
Mo2men wrote:In choice C & D, is meaning of 'Number Theory has theorems' correct? I understand it as 'Number Theory owns/posses theorems' which it is wrong from my view. Am I right?
It is not incorrect to ascribe has/have/had to an inanimate noun.
SC33 in the OG for Verbal 2016:
Conestoga wagons had high wheels.
C and D in the SC above:
Number Theory has theorems.
Given the OA to SC33, this usage has seems acceptable.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3