Hypertensive Personality

This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member
Followed by:47 members

Hypertensive Personality

by komal » Tue Mar 09, 2010 8:42 am
People with high blood pressure are generally more nervous and anxious than people who do not have high blood pressure. This fact show that this particular combination of personality traits-the so called hypertensive personality-is likely to cause a person with these traits to develop high blood pressure.

The reasoning in the argument is most vulnerable to criticism on the grounds that the argument

(A) fails to define the term "hypertensive personality"
(B) presupposes that people have permanent personality traits
(C) simply restates the claim that there is a "hypertensive personality" without providing evidence to support that claim.
(D) takes a correlation between personality traits and high blood pressure as proof that the traits cause high blood pressure.
(E) focuses on nervousness and anxiety only, ignoring other personality traits that people with high blood pressure might have

OA D source powerscore LR bible
Last edited by komal on Tue Mar 09, 2010 10:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by bpgen » Tue Mar 09, 2010 8:54 am
It's D
Let's lay out this way.
From first argument, People with high blood pressure are generally more nervous and anxious.
But reverse could not be proved true from current passage, if you assume, it could be vulnerable for criticism. Ans is d.

komal, Hope so far you have gained lot's of experience of knowing each of answer type and their behaviors...why not frame a totally new question yourself and let's start a debate..instead of putting example from books...
"Ambition is the path to success. Persistence is the vehicle you arrive in."

Legendary Member
Followed by:47 members

by komal » Tue Mar 09, 2010 10:09 am
bpgen wrote:It's D
Let's lay out this way.
From first argument, People with high blood pressure are generally more nervous and anxious.
But reverse could not be proved true from current passage, if you assume, it could be vulnerable for criticism. Ans is d.

komal, Hope so far you have gained lot's of experience of knowing each of answer type and their behaviors...why not frame a totally new question yourself and let's start a debate..instead of putting example from books...
The questions posted here are for benefit of ppl who otherwise cannot gain access to these questions. As for me drafting a new question, well i have not yet reached that stage. : )

Followed by:1 members

by bpgen » Tue Mar 09, 2010 10:19 am
The questions posted here are for benefit of ppl who otherwise cannot gain access to these questions.
Do you really believe, person preparing for GMAT and not having access to those book's example? :shock:

Anyway keep posting....

Sure I do... Take me for example... I dont have any latest Kaplan GMAT prep material... I would be more than happy if some member on here would post questions from these guides. I heard the questions are top-notch.
"Ambition is the path to success. Persistence is the vehicle you arrive in."

Legendary Member
GMAT Score:570

by reply2spg » Fri Mar 12, 2010 5:20 pm
bpgen....I think that each and every book, which is a study material of GMAT, must be approved by GMAC or if not then GMAC must have some say while publishing that book. I am saying this because it must be monitoring all the published question so that GMAC questions copyright will be intact. So answer to your question of belief is I think NO.

Other thing there are lots of ppl (I was one among them) who don't know power score questions. It is good that Komal is posting those questions. Thanks Komal.

bpgen... certainly if I come across any Kaplan question I will post here else PM you :)
bpgen wrote:
The questions posted here are for benefit of ppl who otherwise cannot gain access to these questions.
Do you really believe, person preparing for GMAT and not having access to those book's example? :shock:

Anyway keep posting....

Sure I do... Take me for example... I dont have any latest Kaplan GMAT prep material... I would be more than happy if some member on here would post questions from these guides. I heard the questions are top-notch.

Followed by:5 members
GMAT Score:730

by mohit11 » Mon Mar 15, 2010 3:04 am
komal wrote:People with high blood pressure are generally more nervous and anxious than people who do not have high blood pressure. This fact show that this particular combination of personality traits-the so called hypertensive personality-is likely to cause a person with these traits to develop high blood pressure.

The reasoning in the argument is most vulnerable to criticism on the grounds that the argument

(C) simply restates the claim that there is a "hypertensive personality" without providing evidence to support that claim.
(D) takes a correlation between personality traits and high blood pressure as proof that the traits cause high blood pressure.
(E) focuses on nervousness and anxiety only, ignoring other personality traits that people with high blood pressure might have

D it is by POE. Keep Posting :)

Legendary Member
Followed by:2 members
GMAT Score:710

by gmatmachoman » Mon Mar 15, 2010 6:11 am
mohit11 wrote:
komal wrote:People with high blood pressure are generally more nervous and anxious than people who do not have high blood pressure. This fact show that this particular combination of personality traits-the so called hypertensive personality-is likely to cause a person with these traits to develop high blood pressure.

Mohit!

I shuld remind you that plz dont use POE !! POE is a weapon,use it only when u run out of reasoning & i wont recommend it during prep stages.
I have seen you using POE in couple of places.But I felt its hightime i shuld "hint" you regrading the negativities of POE.

1.When u use POE, u r NOT using reasoning. So ur probability of getting a right answer is P<=0.5
2.Same attitude will continue in the future by dampening ur TP
3.POE when u use for strengthening questions will manyatimes makes u too opt for wrong/scope shift answers as Strengthen based CR bring in new info to the argument which u may reject assuming its not relevant!

Kindly follow patterns,u culd get the link by practice! I am not against POE,but Dont overuse it.Yeah in RC,in some case for cross-checking use POE.!!

Legendary Member

by kstv » Mon Mar 15, 2010 6:35 am
People with high BP - A have hypertensive personality - B A implies B
Hypertensive personality - B have high BP - A Conclusion B implies A
This is a flaw as A => B does not implies B => A
Option (D) takes a correlation between personality traits and high blood pressure as proof that the traits cause high blood pressure. This fallacy is to be critised.

by mohit11 » Mon Mar 15, 2010 6:51 am
gmatmachoman wrote:
mohit11 wrote:

Mohit!

I shuld remind you that plz dont use POE !! POE is a weapon,use it only when u run out of reasoning & i wont recommend it during prep stages.
I have seen you using POE in couple of places.But I felt its hightime i shuld "hint" you regrading the negativities of POE.

1.When u use POE, u r NOT using reasoning. So ur probability of getting a right answer is P<=0.5
3.POE when u use for strengthening questions will manyatimes makes u too opt for wrong/scope shift answers as Strengthen based CR bring in new info to the argument which u may reject assuming its not relevant!

Kindly follow patterns,u culd get the link by practice! I am not against POE,but Dont overuse it.Yeah in RC,in some case for cross-checking use POE.!!
I agree, but in easier questions, such as the one presented here, POE is a quicker method. The reason for the correct answer is obvious but to be sure its good to eliminate other answer choices :) But i agree with many of your points :)

Legendary Member
GMAT Score:680

by harshavardhanc » Mon Mar 15, 2010 6:57 am
gmatmachoman wrote:
Mohit!

machoman,

I think otherwise. In every verbal question , especially CR, it's always the POE which you employ while finding out the credited response.

I'm sure that everyone reads each and every option before confirming an answer(a must in this exam).
Now, in CR questions, you always disprove an incorrect option by finding out a piece of information which is not present in the stimulus or which is out of scope etcetera. You call it reasoning, but essentially you are eliminating an option.

However, you cannot disprove the credited response for one simple reason : "It is absolutely correct from whatever perspective you view it." There is nothing in the correct choice which is out of scope, too extreme or unstated in the passage.

If we are lucky and our prephrased answer matches with options A,B or C, we keep it as the contender and check the rest ones to make sure if they are better than the contender. If you look carefully, this checking is again POE.

If our prephrased answer matches with the last option, we basically would have applied POE here as well before reaching it.

So, by birds-eye-view, it's always POE which is employed in CR questions.

Hope you agree with me :)
Regards,
Harsha

by mohit11 » Mon Mar 15, 2010 7:18 am
harshavardhanc wrote:
gmatmachoman wrote:
Mohit!

machoman,

I think otherwise. In every verbal question , especially CR, it's always the POE which you employ while finding out the credited response.

I'm sure that everyone reads each and every option before confirming an answer(a must in this exam).
Now, in CR questions, you always disprove an incorrect option by finding out a piece of information which is not present in the stimulus or which is out of scope etcetera. You call it reasoning, but essentially you are eliminating an option.

However, you cannot disprove the credited response for one simple reason : "It is absolutely correct from whatever perspective you view it." There is nothing in the correct choice which is out of scope, too extreme or unstated in the passage.

If we are lucky and our prephrased answer matches with options A,B or C, we keep it as the contender and check the rest ones to make sure if they are better than the contender. If you look carefully, this checking is again POE.

If our prephrased answer matches with the last option, we basically would have applied POE here as well before reaching it.

So, by birds-eye-view, it's always POE which is employed in CR questions.

Hope you agree with me :)
Agree with Harsha. That's somewhat my strategy towards CR questions too. I guess as one improves with practice, it becomes easier to reach the answer before reads the options. So POE works until one reaches that level of expertise

Legendary Member
GMAT Score:680

by harshavardhanc » Mon Mar 15, 2010 7:24 am
mohit11 wrote:
Agree with Harsha. That's somewhat my strategy towards CR questions too. I guess as one improves with practice, it becomes easier to reach the answer before reads the options. So POE works until one reaches that level of expertise
:) Thanks !

But, no matter whatever level we reach, we MUST cross-off every other option before we move on to the next question.
Regards,
Harsha

Legendary Member
GMAT Score:710

by gmatmachoman » Mon Mar 15, 2010 9:50 am
harshavardhanc wrote:
mohit11 wrote:
:) Thanks !

But, no matter whatever level we reach, we MUST cross-off every other option before we move on to the next question.
Agreed guys! that was a insightful discussion.Agreed with Mohit & harsha!we MUST cross-off every other option before we move on to the next question. Very Valid..if we follow this religiously 41 is for sure in verbal.

In maths we have a privilege.But for verbal,that "Cross-OFF" technique is Mandatory.One has to practice it while prepping!I do forget sometimes and do it in my mind/brain.but Physically Crossing off is "beneficial"( Its my IMO..)..

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by dbaner1 » Mon Mar 15, 2010 2:22 pm
Hi, I had chosen D initially, but then chose E. Could someone explain why E would be incorrect?

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by Salaj » Tue Mar 28, 2017 7:48 pm
Hi

I am really confused why (d) is the correct answer and (e) is not. Please help.

Thanks
Sinha