CR question...help needed

This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member
Followed by:5 members

CR question...help needed

by Mo2men » Sat Mar 04, 2017 3:40 am
Sam: During recessions, unemployment typically rises. Thus, air pollution due to automobile exhaust decreases during a recession, since fewer people commute in cars to jobs and so cars emitting pollutants into the air are used less.

Felipe: Why would you think that air pollution would decrease? During a recession, fewer people can afford to buy new cars, and cars tend to emit more pollutants as they get older.

Which of the following most accurately describes how Felipe's response is related to Sam's argument?

(A) It calls into question the truth of the premises that Sam uses to support his conclusion.
(B) It makes an additional claim that can only be true if Sam's conclusion is false.
(C) It presents an additional consideration that weakens the support given to Sam's conclusion by his evidence.
(D) It argues that Sam's conclusion is true, although not for the reasons Sam gives to support that conclusion.
(E) It presents an argument showing that the premises in Sam's argument support an absurd conclusion that Sam has overlooked.

Source: Veritas

OA: C

Why is D wrong?? I do not understand it.

Legendary Member
Followed by:128 members
GMAT Score:770

by DavidG@VeritasPrep » Sat Mar 04, 2017 5:00 am
Mo2men wrote:Sam: During recessions, unemployment typically rises. Thus, air pollution due to automobile exhaust decreases during a recession, since fewer people commute in cars to jobs and so cars emitting pollutants into the air are used less.

Felipe: Why would you think that air pollution would decrease? During a recession, fewer people can afford to buy new cars, and cars tend to emit more pollutants as they get older.

Which of the following most accurately describes how Felipe's response is related to Sam's argument?

(A) It calls into question the truth of the premises that Sam uses to support his conclusion.
(B) It makes an additional claim that can only be true if Sam's conclusion is false.
(C) It presents an additional consideration that weakens the support given to Sam's conclusion by his evidence.
(D) It argues that Sam's conclusion is true, although not for the reasons Sam gives to support that conclusion.
(E) It presents an argument showing that the premises in Sam's argument support an absurd conclusion that Sam has overlooked.

Consider Sam's conclusion: Air pollution should decrease during a recession because fewer people will drive to work.

Felipe is arguing that air pollution will increase (or at least not decrease) because people will be driving cars that are less fuel efficient. He's certainly not arguing that Sam's conclusion is true, as D states.
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor

Veritas Prep Reviews
Save $100 off any live Veritas Prep GMAT Course

Legendary Member
Followed by:5 members

by Mo2men » Sat Mar 04, 2017 5:11 am
DavidG@VeritasPrep wrote:
Mo2men wrote:Sam: During recessions, unemployment typically rises. Thus, air pollution due to automobile exhaust decreases during a recession, since fewer people commute in cars to jobs and so cars emitting pollutants into the air are used less.

Consider Sam's conclusion: Air pollution should decrease during a recession because fewer people will drive to work.

Felipe is arguing that air pollution will increase (or at least not decrease) because people will be driving cars that are less fuel efficient. He's certainly not arguing that Sam's conclusion is true, as D states.
Ù‹When we say I argue that you are right', does not mean that you are not right?? I mean when you argue something then you suspect it.

Thanks

Legendary Member
Followed by:128 members
GMAT Score:770

by DavidG@VeritasPrep » Sat Mar 04, 2017 5:38 am
Mo2men wrote:
DavidG@VeritasPrep wrote:

Ù‹When we say I argue that you are right', does not mean that you are not right?? I mean when you argue something then you suspect it.

Thanks
One can argue for something or against something. If I argue that you're right, I agree with you. If I argue that you're wrong, I disagree with you. If I argue with you, we disagree about something.
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor

Veritas Prep Reviews
Save $100 off any live Veritas Prep GMAT Course

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Sat Mar 04, 2017 6:34 am
Mo2men wrote:Why is D wrong?? I do not understand it.
When a CR has two speakers, they will have OPPOSING CONCLUSIONS:
If the first speaker concludes that X is true, then the second speaker will conclude that X is NOT true.

D: Felipe's response argues that Sam's conclusion is true.
Since Felipe's conclusion must be the OPPOSITE of Sam's, D does not correctly describe Felipe's response.
Eliminate D.

To argue that X is true = to SUPPORT THE CONCLUSION that X is true.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3