American Heart Association researchers have calculated ...

This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member
Followed by:8 members
Hello,

Can you please assist with this? This is from MGMAT CAT. Thanks for your help.

American Heart Association researchers have calculated that one person in the United States should ... 26 seconds.

Answer choices:

A) one person in the United States should experience a coronary event every 26 seconds
B) a person in the United States should experience a coronary event once in every 26 seconds
C) a coronary event will strike one person in the United States once in every 26 seconds
D) every 26 seconds a person in the United States will experience a coronary event
E) every 26 seconds a person in the United States should experience a coronary event

OA: D

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Sun Aug 11, 2013 3:40 am
gmattesttaker2 wrote:American Heart Association researchers have calculated that one person in the United States should experience a coronary event every 26 seconds.

A) one person in the United States should experience a coronary event every 26 seconds
B) a person in the United States should experience a coronary event once in every 26 seconds
C) a coronary event will strike one person in the United States once in every 26 seconds
D) every 26 seconds a person in the United States will experience a coronary event
E) every 26 seconds a person in the United States should experience a coronary event
In A, B and E, should implies a RECOMMENDATION.
According to researchers, what SHOULD happen every 26 seconds?
In other words, what do the researchers RECOMMEND?
They recommend the following:
That a person should experience a coronary event.
Not the intended meaning.
Eliminate A, B and E.

C conveys a nonsensical meaning: an EVENT cannot STRIKE someone.
Eliminate C.

The correct answer is D.

This SC is modeled after an official SC from GMAC. Check here:

https://www.beatthegmat.com/og-meteorite-t89650.html
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

Legendary Member
Followed by:8 members

by gmattesttaker2 » Sun Aug 11, 2013 7:40 pm
GMATGuruNY wrote:
gmattesttaker2 wrote:American Heart Association researchers have calculated that one person in the United States should experience a coronary event every 26 seconds.

Eliminate A, B and E.

Eliminate C.

The correct answer is D.

Hello Mitch,

Thank you very much for your explanation.

Best Regards,
Sri

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by asdfghjklasdfghjkl » Sun Feb 26, 2017 7:52 am
GMATGuruNY wrote:

Eliminate A, B and E.

Eliminate C.

The correct answer is D.

Am I right to say that E is incorrect because "should" implies moral obligation ? The same questions is on gmatclub, but there Answer choice E is marked as the correct one.

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Sun Feb 26, 2017 8:30 am
asdfghjklasdfghjkl wrote:Am I right to say that E is incorrect because "should" implies moral obligation ?
Yes, the usage of should seems to imply that a person is OBLIGATED to experience a coronary event.
The same questions is on gmatclub, but there Answer choice E is marked as the correct one.
Any post that identifies E as the OA is incorrect.
The correct answer is D.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3