Probability - 10 marbles

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:7 members

Probability - 10 marbles

by fiza gupta » Fri Dec 30, 2016 6:00 am
Anna has 10 marbles: 5 red, 2 blue, 2 green and 1 yellow. She wants to arrange all of them in a row so that no two adjacent marbles are of the same color and the first and the last marbles are of different colors. How many different arrangements are possible?
A)30
B)60
C)120
D)240
E)480

OA:B
Fiza Gupta

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1268 members
GMAT Score:770

by Brent@GMATPrepNow » Fri Dec 30, 2016 8:48 am
fiza gupta wrote:Anna has 10 marbles: 5 red, 2 blue, 2 green and 1 yellow. She wants to arrange all of them in a row so that no two adjacent marbles are of the same color and the first and the last marbles are of different colors. How many different arrangements are possible?
A)30
B)60
C)120
D)240
E)480

Tricky (700+) level question!

Since half of the marbles are red, there are only two possible arrangements for the RED marbles:
1) R _ R _ R _ R _ R _ R _
2) _ R _ R _ R _ R _ R _R
These are the only 2 ways to adhere to the rule that no two adjacent marbles are of the same color.

So, at this point, our objective is to arrange the 2 blue, 2 green and 1 yellow marbles in the spaces.
To do this, I'm going to ignore the red marbles and focus solely on the 2 blue, 2 green and 1 yellow marbles.

In how many ways can we arrange 2 blue, 2 green and 1 yellow marbles?
-------------------------------------------------
ASIDE: When we want to arrange a group of items in which some of the items are identical, we can use something called the MISSISSIPPI rule. It goes like this:

If there are n objects where A of them are alike, another B of them are alike, another C of them are alike, and so on, then the total number of possible arrangements = n!/[(A!)(B!)(C!)....]

So, for example, we can calculate the number of arrangements of the letters in MISSISSIPPI as follows:
There are 11 letters in total
There are 4 identical I's
There are 4 identical S's
There are 2 identical P's
So, the total number of possible arrangements = 11!/[(4!)(4!)(2!)]
-------------------------------------------------
Now back to arranging our 2 blue, 2 green and 1 yellow marbles.
There are 5 letters in total
There are 2 identical B's (blue marbles)
There are 2 identical G's (green marbles)
The total number of possible arrangements = 5!/2!2! = (5)(4)(3)(2)(1)/(2)(1)(2)(1) = 30

Notice for EACH of these 30 arrangements of 2 blue, 2 green and 1 yellow marbles, there are 2 ways to add in the 5 red marbles (as discussed earlier).

Here's what I mean:
One way to arrange 2 blue, 2 green and 1 yellow marbles is as follows: BGBYG
There are 2 ways to add the 5 red marbles to this arrangement:
1) RBRGRBRYRG
2) BRGRBRYRGR

Another way to arrange 2 blue, 2 green and 1 yellow marbles is as follows: BBGYG
There are 2 ways to add the 5 red marbles to this arrangement:
1) RBRBRGRYRG
2) BRBRGRYRGR

And so on....

As we can see, for EACH of the 30 arrangements of 2 blue, 2 green and 1 yellow marbles, there are 2 ways to add in the 5 red marbles.

So, the TOTAL number of arrangements of the 10 marbles = (2)(30)
= 60
= B
Brent Hanneson - Creator of GMATPrepNow.com

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Fri Dec 30, 2016 10:07 am
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:34 members

by Jay@ManhattanReview » Thu Feb 16, 2017 8:56 pm
fiza gupta wrote:Anna has 10 marbles: 5 red, 2 blue, 2 green and 1 yellow. She wants to arrange all of them in a row so that no two adjacent marbles are of the same color and the first and the last marbles are of different colors. How many different arrangements are possible?

A)30
B)60
C)120
D)240
E)480

Great solutions. Nothing to add except that we need to decide which color marble to first arrange.

We see that there are 5 red colored marbles, and 5 other three color marbles.

Since the placement of red marbles, leaving one place before and after each of them will help accommodate other color marbles, we must select red marbles to arrange first.

Hope this helps!

Relevant book: Manhattan Review GMAT Combinatorics and Probability Guide

-Jay

Locations: New York | Frankfurt | Hong Kong | Zurich | and many more...

Schedule your free consultation with an experienced GMAT Prep Advisor! Click here.

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:119 members
GMAT Score:780

by Matt@VeritasPrep » Fri Feb 17, 2017 1:15 am
Since there are five reds and only ten spaces, the reds must be every other marble, otherwise we're forced to have two reds together. That starts us off with either

R _ R _ R _ R _ R _

or

_ R _ R _ R _ R _ R

From here, we're arranging the other five marbles: BBGGY. This is a permutation with repeating elements, so our formula is (# of marbles)! / ((# of blues)! * (number of greens)!) => 5!/2!2! => 30.

We have 30 ways to arrange our other five marbles, and TWO ways to have the reds as shown above, for a total of 30 * 2 = 60 arrangements.