Feedback needed for 2-mo GMAT study schedule + other topics

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Hi everyone,

First post here -- will appreciate any advice and/or feedback on how I'm approaching my 2-month study schedule below.

Some background:
  • - I'm aiming to take the test in mid-April, which gives me approximately 9 weeks to study. I'm aiming to take then because in May I have several family events to attend and may be moving cities, so I'm concerned my concentration will be broken if I extend my studying to then.

- I'm looking to apply this upcoming 2017 cycle and enroll in 2018

- I'm aiming for a 710+ score

- Before doing any sort of prep, I took 1 of the GMAT prep tests and received a 570 (32quan; 36 verbal; 7 IR)
    --For quant, I did not remember basic principles, formulas. But quant, in general, is also my weakness
    --For verbal, I rushed through. I ended with 25 mins remaining, so I know time management and not making reckless errors is key here. Verbal, generally, is usually a strong suit.
  • - Since taking this test, I have fully reviewed Manhattans' Foundation of Math book

- In terms of resources I have:
    --full suite of Manhattan strategy guides,
    --the OG + Manhattan OG companion
    --the Math review and Verbal review,
    --Manhattan Advanced Quant book
    --I'm also planning on purchasing Magoosh's premium service ($149), because I know for me having video instructions/guide will be helpful for certain topics.

Here are my major questions:

Error Log:
  • -- I'm planning on using the Manhattan Navigator to track my progress through OG questions. 1) Will this be sufficient/provide feedback that some of the other error log templates will?

-- Should I be keeping an error log of all practice problems - not only OG- that I do (ie. practice sets from the Manhattan Strategy guides or the OG Verbal review)? 2) If so, is there an error log template that exists that anyone suggests I use for non-OG questions?

Study Schedule
  • --I have access to Manhattans 6 tests, 3 additional GMAT prep tests, and 2 Magoosh tests (not sure if I will be able to use the Magoosh tests in this timeframe)
    --3) Does the way I've broken out the practice tests below make sense?
  • --4) Is there any feedback for week-by-week approach I've taken (in terms of what to study, pace, etc.)?
[/list]

Other:

--I need to improve my mental math skills to make basic math calculations quickly. 5) Are there any phone apps people suggest to help with this? I already have MentCalc and Ready4GMAT.
--I recognize this may either be an obvious question - or one difficult to answer - but, 6) does anyone think I'll get very confused combining what I learn in Manhattan with the approach Magoosh takes through its online resources + flashcards, etc.?
7) Instead of Magoosh, does anyone recommend an alternative service?

STUDY SCHEDULE

Week 1: Monday, Feb 6th - Sunday, Feb 12
  • Manhattan Test 1
    MGMAT: Fractions, Decimals, Percents
    MGMAT: Critical Reasoning
    OG practice problems for above topics
Week 2: Monday, Feb 13 - Sunday, Feb 19
  • Manhattan Test 2
    MGMAT: Number Properties
    MGMAT Critical Reasoning
Week 3: Monday, Feb 20 - Sunday, Feb 26
  • Manhattan Test 3
    MGMAT: Algebra
    MGMAT: Sentence Correction
Week 4: Monday Feb 27 - Sunday, March 5
  • GMAT Test 1
    MGMAT: Geometry
    MGMAT: Sentence Correction
    Associated OG and Magoosh problems
Week 5: Monday, March 6 - Sunday, March 12
  • Manhattan Test 4
    MGMAT: Word Problems
    MGMAT: Reading Comprehension
Week 6: Monday, March 13 - Sunday, March 19
  • Manhattan Test 5
    MGMAT: Integrated Reasoning and Essay
    MGMAT: Advanced Quant
Week 7: Monday, March 20 - Sunday, March 26
  • Gmat Test 2
    MGMAT: Review topics that were challenging
Week 8: Monday, March 27 - Sunday, April 2nd
  • Manhattan Test 6
Week 9: Monday, April 3 - Sunday, April 9
  • Gmat Test 3
Monday, April 10 - Sunday, April 16
  • Take the test

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:21 members

by Bara » Tue Feb 07, 2017 2:04 am
Hi Yoshidos,

Here are my thoughts:

- - Error logs are always good. OGs are the best - - but if it's helpful, use all the material you work on b/c you want to identify if there are knowledge gaps and/or patterns in how you answer questions (incorrectly). You might want to identify by category what you're getting incorrect.

- - Curious why you're giving yourself a diagnostic a week...I think it's more productive to spend the first 3 weeks learning without doing a diagnostic test.

- - What is your reading speed? Since you finished 25 minutes early, but didn't score close to perfect, you need to not only engage more deeply, but identify why it was that you went so quickly, and what mechanisms will you have in place so you utilize all the time...that is...only if you think you USED the entire time that you'd actually improve.

-- GMAT test takers typically take the test at least 2 times...have you planned for this b/c I don't see that in your chart? Are you open to retaking and will you be able to retake it and if so, how does that configure into your study plan?

- -When students embark on self-study, I always encourage meeting with an expert, even a couple of times to make sure you're studying smarter, not harder. Best methods in strategy and form can make a difference in timing and accuracy.

- - I'd do sentence correction before CR

- - I'd combine week 1 and 2, quant

- - I'm not familiar with APPs, so I'll be interested in learning what you find out!

Good Luck and Keep us Posted~

Best,

Bara
Bara Sapir, MA, CHt, CNLP
Founder/CEO City Test Prep
Maximize your Score, Minimize your Stress!
GMAT Badass and Test Anxiety Relief Expert
SPEEDREADING: https://citytestprep.com/mindflow-workshops/
ANXIETY RELIEF: https://citytestprep.com/mindfulness-therapy/
BOOK: https://tinyurl.com/TPNYSC
TV: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=McA4aqCNS-c

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by yoshidos » Tue Feb 07, 2017 5:16 am
Hi Bara,

Thanks for the quick reply, and for your suggestions on how to modify the study plan. Very appreciated.

To follow-up on your other comments:

1) Do you have a recommended error log file/template I should use in order to track any and all problems (not only OG). All the ones I've seen on forums have been OG specific.

2) I was planning on doing a diagnostic because a lot of the advice I've received is that taking these practice tests really help with final performance. I have studied the past two weeks the Foundations of Math book, but I will definitely take into consideration holding off on tests early on.

3) Not sure my reading speed!

4) I'm hoping I don't have to, but I think if needed I will re-take it in late June, to give myself enough time to focus on my problem areas.

5) I'm currently abroad (India). Do you have any suggestions on experts to meet with here -- or if not,1-2 online meetings I can do with experts to discuss strategy for self study, etc?

Really appreciate your feedback!

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Tue Feb 07, 2017 10:29 am
Hi yoshidos,

To start, a 570 is a solid initial CAT score (the average score on the Official GMAT hovers around 540-550 most years) and a V36 means that you have a strong overall grasp of the Verbal section. This is important because many Test Takers spend 3 months (or more) of consistent study time before they hit their 'peak' scores. Since you have just 9 weeks of available study time, you might find it difficult to hit your score goal. However, if you only require a bit of time to boost your Verbal skills, then you can focus most of the next 2 months on building your Quant knowledge, Tactics and overall 'math skills.'

With those assumptions in mind, I think that you'll have to adjust your schedule a bit. For the first couple of weeks, you shouldn't plan on taking any CATs - you won't have put in enough study time at that point to have made an appreciable improvement to your Quant skills (and you would just end up 'wasting' a couple of CATs), so you should plan for your next CAT in 2-3 weeks time. You ask a number of good questions, but there's no way to properly answer them at this point (we'll have to wait to see how your studies progress before we discuss how you might adjust them).

Have you had a chance to do a full review of this CAT? Can you define WHY you got questions wrong? In real basic terms:

After reviewing the Quant section, how many questions did you get wrong....
1) Because of a silly/little mistake?
2) Because there was some math that you just could not remember how to do?
3) Because the question was too hard?
4) Because you were low on time and had to guess?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:21 members

by Bara » Tue Feb 07, 2017 10:50 am
yoshidos wrote:Hi Bara,

Thanks for the quick reply, and for your suggestions on how to modify the study plan. Very appreciated.

To follow-up on your other comments:

1) Do you have a recommended error log file/template I should use in order to track any and all problems (not only OG). All the ones I've seen on forums have been OG specific.

Are you a native American English speaker? If not you need to identify where on the spectrum you are in terms of formal written English. Tested less frequently, but still and issue, and learning SC may more challenging and not as straightforward as you'd imagine.

I'd encourage you to identify your wrong answers and put in a chart of sorts with the following columns:

Test Number/Origin
Time of Day taking test
Date
IDentify the question type.
Identify how you answered, ie. Quan question #,- Geometry - Data Sufficency - Right Triangles. etc. Do this for all sections and types, especially for the questions you answered incorrectly.

THEN see if you can analyze your performance by including these indentifiers:

1) knew how to do - got it right
2) knew how to do - got it wrong (careless mistake or something serious missing/though you knew but you didn't)

3) kinda knew but guessed - got it right
4) kinda knew but guessed - got it wrong

5) WTF - guessed - got it right
6) WTF - guessed - got it wrong

7) took too long
8) went too fast
9) went just right

10) Was nervous/triggered by question (and how)

GMAT study, you need to understand what you know/don't know, then address highest yield topics then work through to the less important ones. Based on WHAT you're getting incorrect, and how, would drive how to start studying. Hands down, studying concepts comes first, then practice, then quizzing, then diagnostic exams. Lather, Rinse, Repeat....

Do NOT go directly to practice questions...you need to create a kind of muscle memory before you play the game. It's the same reason people learn and master scales and chords before learning to play and read complicated music.

2) I was planning on doing a diagnostic because a lot of the advice I've received is that taking these practice tests really help with final performance. I have studied the past two weeks the Foundations of Math book, but I will definitely take into consideration holding off on tests early on.

Yeah: I would.

3) Not sure my reading speed!
Figure that out. Read a page from the Atlantic Monthly or The Economist, and time yourself for a minute. Count the words in the first three lines, then divide by 3. Multiply this by the number of lines you read, then add any outlier words.

4) I'm hoping I don't have to, but I think if needed I will re-take it in late June, to give myself enough time to focus on my problem areas.
Plan on it. Most students need to take at least 2x.

5) I'm currently abroad (India). Do you have any suggestions on experts to meet with here -- or if not,1-2 online meetings I can do with experts to discuss strategy for self study, etc?
I've spent time in India, albeit not that much. I also work with admissions consultants in India, who send us their students. I'd be happy to talk with you about working with one or two of our GMAT experts for a couple of online meetings. Contact me in a private message or via [email protected]

Really appreciate your feedback!

My Pleasure!
Bara Sapir, MA, CHt, CNLP
Founder/CEO City Test Prep
Maximize your Score, Minimize your Stress!
GMAT Badass and Test Anxiety Relief Expert
SPEEDREADING: https://citytestprep.com/mindflow-workshops/
ANXIETY RELIEF: https://citytestprep.com/mindfulness-therapy/
BOOK: https://tinyurl.com/TPNYSC
TV: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=McA4aqCNS-c

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:247 members

by ceilidh.erickson » Wed Feb 15, 2017 12:01 pm
-- I'm planning on using the Manhattan Navigator to track my progress through OG questions. 1) Will this be sufficient/provide feedback that some of the other error log templates will?
In my opinion, no. Navigator is great for tracking metrics (timing and accuracy), but because this current version doesn't have a comment field, you'll be missing information on WHY you got wrong what you got wrong. Here's my version that I share with my students:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... edit#gid=0
-- Should I be keeping an error log of all practice problems - not only OG- that I do (ie. practice sets from the Manhattan Strategy guides or the OG Verbal review)? 2) If so, is there an error log template that exists that anyone suggests I use for non-OG questions?
Yes. Track all of your mistakes, because the goal is to look for patterns over time. See above for a template.
--3) Does the way I've broken out the practice tests below make sense?
I agree with Bara - you don't need to take a practice test every single weekend. Every other weekend for the first month would be fine. Make sure you also use the Mprep ASSESSMENT REPORTS to assess your progress on CATs.
--4) Is there any feedback for week-by-week approach I've taken (in terms of what to study, pace, etc.)?
Broadly, I think you've laid it all out well. There seems to be less focus on verbal than quant, but that might be what you need. I think it looks good.
6) does anyone think I'll get very confused combining what I learn in Manhattan with the approach Magoosh takes through its online resources + flashcards, etc.?
7) Instead of Magoosh, does anyone recommend an alternative service?
I doubt this is a major issue. The concepts tested are finite. Each company might teach different approaches, but they're all basically going to be similar on the content of practice questions.

Good luck!
Ceilidh Erickson
EdM in Mind, Brain, and Education
Harvard Graduate School of Education