Responding to the public's fascination

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Responding to the public's fascination

by gmatpanda » Mon Oct 05, 2009 9:18 pm
Responding to the public's fascination with-and sometimes undue alarm over-possible threats from asteroids, a scale developed by astronomers rates the likelihood that a particular asteroid or comet may collide with Earth.

A. a scale developed by astronomers rates the likelihood that a particular asteroid or comet may
B. a scale that astronomers have developed rates how likely it is for a particular asteroid or comet to
C. astronomers have developed a scale to rate how likely a particular asteroid or comet will be to
D. astronomers have developed a scale for rating the likelihood that a particular asteroid or comet will
E. astronomers have developed a scale that rates the likelihood of a particular asteroid or comet that may

Why E is wrong whereas C is correct? Anyone helps me out? Thanks

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by hitmewithgmat » Mon Oct 05, 2009 9:58 pm
E. astronomers have developed a scale that rates the likelihood of a particular asteroid or comet that may

"likelihood" implies "maybe"
By using "maybe" with "likelihood" is redundant.
Disclaimer-I am not a GMAT savvy yet, but I am learning everyday with my fellow beatthegmat citizens.

I AM DETERMINED TO CRASH/NIX OUT/ATTACK BRUTALLY/CRACK VERBAL PART OF GMAT. ROAR!

Legendary Member
Followed by:9 members
GMAT Score:720

by maihuna » Sat Dec 12, 2009 11:06 pm
gmatpanda wrote:Responding to the public's fascination with-and sometimes undue alarm over-possible threats from asteroids, a scale developed by astronomers rates the likelihood that a particular asteroid or comet may collide with Earth.

A. a scale developed by astronomers rates the likelihood that a particular asteroid or comet may
B. a scale that astronomers have developed rates how likely it is for a particular asteroid or comet to
C. astronomers have developed a scale to rate how likely a particular asteroid or comet will be to
D. astronomers have developed a scale for rating the likelihood that a particular asteroid or comet will

Quite confusing, why do you think Oa is reliable. this is one of the set Q i think...oa is controversial....
Charged up again to beat the beast :)

Legendary Member
Followed by:2 members
GMAT Score:710

by gmatmachoman » Sat Dec 12, 2009 11:44 pm
maihuna wrote:
gmatpanda wrote:Responding to the public's fascination with-and sometimes undue alarm over-possible threats from asteroids, a scale developed by astronomers rates the likelihood that a particular asteroid or comet may collide with Earth.

Quite confusing, why do you think Oa is reliable. this is one of the set Q i think...oa is controversial....

I agree with Maihuna!

E seems to sound better than C

Legendary Member

by tanviet » Mon Dec 14, 2009 2:29 am
check the grammar error before check meaning logic

there is not clear grammar error

check meaning logic

doing phrase must refers logically to the word immediately preceding comma. A and B is out because "scale' can not responding

in E, "likelihood of comet" is meaningless. we cut off "that ....clause" which refer to "comet" and see this meaninglessness

in D, "for rating" is not correct on gmat land. gmat prefer "to rate"

Legendary Member
Followed by:1 members

by umaa » Mon Dec 14, 2009 9:53 am

E is wrong, because "likelihood" and "may" give the same meaning. But I don't really understand how C is correct. Where is the verb for WILL BE? Do you think "will be to collid" is correct?

Thats why I chose D as its not bad when comparing other answer choices. Any thoughts guys?
What we think, we become

by gmatv09 » Mon Dec 14, 2009 10:00 am
a scale for rating is better option than a scale that rates the

IMO D

Legendary Member
Followed by:14 members

by gmat_perfect » Thu Jul 29, 2010 11:43 am

Theory and Application#01:

Responding to XX, YY---> Responding to XX modifies YY. So, the options A and B are out for using scale in place of YY.

Theory#02:

That refers to the immediate preceding noun.

Example:

I have a book that is on GMAT math.

I have a formula that solves many hard GMAT problems.
=> here the formula itself solves the problems. Does it make sense?

Rather I should say:

I have a formula that I use to solve hard GMAT problems.

=> This eliminates the option E because it means that the scale itself is rating.

Theory#03:

-->for rating is less preferred than "to rate".

---> "Rate how likely something will happen" is preferred to "rate the likelihood that something will happen".
---> Rate the likelihood of something is more commonly used than "rate the likelihood that something will happen".

=> For these reasons D is NOT correct.

Answer is C.

Followed by:4 members
GMAT Score:740

by tomada » Thu Jul 29, 2010 12:18 pm
One more vote for 'D'.

by nikhilkatira » Thu Jul 29, 2010 7:30 pm
tomada wrote:One more vote for 'D'.
Ron says D

https://www.manhattangmat.com/forums/res ... t8246.html
Best,
Nikhil H. Katira

Legendary Member

by adi_800 » Sat Jul 31, 2010 3:41 am
Ron says d..
OA says C.
Many say E, wwhich is surely wrong....
What to conclude...
On the G day i would have gone for C...

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by Joseph_Alexander » Fri Aug 01, 2014 1:13 am
PROBLEM: "Responding to..." is a participial phrase modifying a noun, so the noun has to come right after the comma. The astronomers responded, not the scale.

PROBLEM: Same as above.

PROBLEM: You can't say "likely...will be to". It's gibberish. Your ear would recognize that if there weren't all those words in between, confusing things. Try a short example. You should always be able to replace "likely" with "probably".
My program determines how likely you will be to love me.
My program determines how probably you will be to love me...MAKES NO SENSE!
PROBLEM: You can't have a likelihood of something that may happen. It's the likelihood that something WILL happen.

by TheGraduate » Sat Feb 04, 2017 3:29 am
Responding to the public's fascination with-and sometimes undue alarm over-possible threats from asteroids, a scale developed by astronomers rates the likelihood that a particular asteroid or comet may collide with Earth.

I was wondering if there is a problem with the meaning of choices A, B and E since a scale cannot rate on its own (a scale is an inanimate object). An astronomer has to use the scale to rate. Am I right or wrong in thinking that way?

Thanks

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Sat Feb 04, 2017 7:00 am
TheGraduate wrote:I was wondering if there is a problem with the meaning of choices A, B and E since a scale cannot rate on its own (a scale is an inanimate object). An astronomer has to use the scale to rate. Am I right or wrong in thinking that way?

Thanks
I would not apply this line of reasoning.
An OA in GMATPrep:
an intensive series of experiments investigating changes in working conditions.
Here, it is considered correct to say that EXPERIMENTS are INVESTIGATING.
Similarly, the GMAT might consider it acceptable to say that a SCALE RATES the likelihood.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

by TheGraduate » Sun Feb 05, 2017 3:46 pm
GMATGuruNY wrote:
TheGraduate wrote:I was wondering if there is a problem with the meaning of choices A, B and E since a scale cannot rate on its own (a scale is an inanimate object). An astronomer has to use the scale to rate. Am I right or wrong in thinking that way?

Thanks
I would not apply this line of reasoning.
An OA in GMATPrep:
an intensive series of experiments investigating changes in working conditions.
Here, it is considered correct to say that EXPERIMENTS are INVESTIGATING.
Similarly, the GMAT might consider it acceptable to say that a SCALE RATES the likelihood.
However, isn't there is a difference between "...developed a scale rating the likelihood" and "scale rates the likelihood" since the scale itself seems to rate the likelihood in the latter?