Official SC - A mixture of poems and short fiction, Jean Too

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
A mixture of poems and short fiction, Jean Toomer's Cane has been one of the three best novels ever written by Black Americans-the others being Richard Wright, author of Native Son, and Ralph Ellision, author of Invisible Man.

A) Black Americans-the others being Richard Wright, author of Native Son, and Ralph Ellision, author of Invisible Man
B) Black Americans-including Native Son by Richard Wright and Invisible Man by Ralph Ellision
C) a Black American-including Richard Wright, author of Native Son, and Ralph Ellision, author of Invisible Man
D) a Black American-the others being Richard Wright, author of Native Son, and Ralph Ellision, author of Invisible Man
E) a Black American-the others being Richard Wright's Native Son and Ralph Ellision's Invisible Man

OA is E

hi experts,
I got this one, but want to get confirmed on my understanding about the usage of "including".

"including" should always refer to a nearest preceding PLURAL entity ( NOUN or NOUN+modifiers) to denote a PARTIAL list of examples of that NOUN entity.

am i correct ?

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Wed Dec 14, 2016 1:39 pm
ngk4mba3236 wrote:want to get confirmed on my understanding about the usage of "including".
Check here:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/og-13-sc-107-t291138.html (third post)
https://www.beatthegmat.com/the-principa ... 92528.html
https://www.beatthegmat.com/usage-of-inc ... 70986.html
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

by ngk4mba3236 » Thu Dec 15, 2016 5:56 am
gmatguru,
let me quickly summarize what I understood from your above three links:

1. in most cases on GMAT SC, COMMA + including will serve to introduce PARTIAL list of examples of the NEAREST PRECEDING PLURAL NOUN.

2. in a few cases, depending on the context/meaning, COMMA + including may NOT serve to introduce examples of the NEAREST PRECEDING PLURAL NOUN, rather it will serve to introduce examples of some other PRECEDING PLURAL NOUN because COMMA + including MUST refer to a SPECIFIC SET.

(for example: your 2nd link, in which COMMA + including refers to "a series of printed instructions", but NOT to the NEAREST PRECEDING PLURAL NOUN "merchants")

3. on GMAT SC, COMMA + including will NEVER serve to refer to any PRECEDING SINGULAR NOUN.

4. on GMAT SC, COMMA + including will NEVER serve to refer to a COMPLETE list of examples.

am I correct ?

by ngk4mba3236 » Thu Jan 26, 2017 10:07 pm
gmatguru,
any update on the above ?

it'll be really helpful to get your confirmation on my understanding. thank you!

GMAT Instructor

by GMATGuruNY » Fri Jan 27, 2017 4:57 am
ngk4mba3236 wrote:gmatguru,
any update on the above ?

it'll be really helpful to get your confirmation on my understanding. thank you!
Your summary looks good.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

Legendary Member
Followed by:5 members

by Mo2men » Fri Jan 27, 2017 6:17 am
GMATGuruNY wrote:
ngk4mba3236 wrote:want to get confirmed on my understanding about the usage of "including".
Check here:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/og-13-sc-107-t291138.html (third post)
https://www.beatthegmat.com/the-principa ... 92528.html
https://www.beatthegmat.com/usage-of-inc ... 70986.html
Dear GMATGuru,

do you consider 'black Americans' and 'a black American" a major split?

Thanks

GMAT Instructor

by GMATGuruNY » Sat Jan 28, 2017 4:45 am
Mo2men wrote:Dear GMATGuru,

do you consider 'black Americans' and 'a black American" a major split?

Thanks
A: Black Americans -- the others being
B: Black Americans -- including
In these options, the portions in red seem to refer to Black Americans (the nearest preceding plural noun).
Not the intended meaning.
The portions in red are intended to refer not to the other two Black Americans who are among the very best but to the other two NOVELS that are among the very best.
Eliminate A and B.

OA: one of the three best novels ever written by a Black American - the others being
Here -- since a Black American is SINGULAR -- it is crystal clear that the others serves to refer to novels (the nearest preceding PLURAL noun).

Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3