Advice on profile for PT MBA Program.

Free advice from the world's top MBA consultants
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Advice on profile for PT MBA Program.

by kgaurav85 » Tue Jan 10, 2017 4:20 pm
Hi all - Just looking for some advice since i am planning on applying this summer to a few part time MBA programs. Mainly i am curious about how my chances might be applying with a low GPA and low GMAT.

Stats
- Undergrad degree from University of Poona, India in Electrical Engineering
- GPA - 2.9
- Masters degree from California State University, Sacramento in Electrical Engineering
- Masters GPA -3.2
- GMAT 640 (Q-49, V-28)
- Indian 31 year old male
- Interned at a LSI Logic, Allentown, Pennsylvania
- Currently working as senior physical design engineer at Intel COrporation, Chandler, Arizona
- Total Full-time work experience at Matriculation - 6.3 years
- Volunteer work at Intel Corporation - help middle school kids with Mathematics

I am looking to apply to following schools for PART TIME MBA programs

1. Kellogs NW
2. Booth chicago
3. UC Berkley
4. UCLA
5. Ross
6. Stern

Thanks.

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by uniq01 » Sun Jan 15, 2017 8:37 pm
Hi there,

Given your experience and advanced degree, it's certainly a good idea to consider part-time programs, particularly those on your list. While your undergraduate GPA is not very strong, it looks like you make up for it with your graduate GPA. The fact that you have an education and professional background in Electrical Engineering can work in your favor as it typically demonstrates good analytical quant skills highly valued by top B-schools.

Based on the brief profile information you've provided, I think you should consider applying to PT programs like Kellogg, Stern and Booth. They each have different average GMAT scores, but I believe your score of 640 should put you right in the pool. More importantly, you will need to work on your story about why you're pursing an MBA; specifically, in your technical role, how will an MBA help you meet your career goals? Combining your volunteer experience, Engineering background (work and education), the key will lie in how you piece together where you've been and where you're headed - and of course, how the PT MBA from the school of choice weaves itself into your future plans.

Best of luck!
uniqMBA Admissions Consulting
https://www.uniqmba.com
Follow @uniqmba

Contact us for a free initial consultation!

GMAT/MBA Expert

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:11 members

by Donna@Stratus » Tue Jan 17, 2017 8:38 am
kgaurav85 wrote:Hi all - Just looking for some advice since i am planning on applying this summer to a few part time MBA programs. Mainly i am curious about how my chances might be applying with a low GPA and low GMAT.

Stats
- Undergrad degree from University of Poona, India in Electrical Engineering
- GPA - 2.9
- Masters degree from California State University, Sacramento in Electrical Engineering
- Masters GPA -3.2
- GMAT 640 (Q-49, V-28)
- Indian 31 year old male
- Interned at a LSI Logic, Allentown, Pennsylvania
- Currently working as senior physical design engineer at Intel COrporation, Chandler, Arizona
- Total Full-time work experience at Matriculation - 6.3 years
- Volunteer work at Intel Corporation - help middle school kids with Mathematics

I am looking to apply to following schools for PART TIME MBA programs

1. Kellogs NW
2. Booth chicago
3. UC Berkley
4. UCLA
5. Ross
6. Stern
In most cases for part-time and executive MBA programs, the work experience becomes more important than the GMAT and gpa. So this will help your case. I suspect you may have the best results with Stern and UCLA. Make sure you getting the names of the schools right in the application process- Kellogg and UC Berkeley...
Best wishes to you!

Thanks.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:5 members

by mcbMcK » Fri Jan 27, 2017 9:39 pm
Gaurav,

I would agree on the point of GPA/GMAT not being deal breakers. This is coming from quite a few folks we have worked with in the past in some of the above schools. Read here, here and here.

Your years of experience could be on the lower end and that is the aspect you need to explain and justify. Beyond that, things should be pretty good.

Cheers,
MG (Manish Gupta)|The MBA Crystal Ball Team

Email: mcb at mbacrystalball dot com