Gmat Prep Questions

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Gmat Prep Questions

by bob1123 » Thu Jan 12, 2017 2:26 pm
I am an Electrical Engineer from a good school looking to get my MBA. I need a score of 660 to get free tuition at the school I'm interested in. About two weeks ago I bought a used set of the 5th edition Manhattan study books (without online access). In a very short period, I read through all ten of the Manhattan study books and completed all the practice problems within. I did not take a practice exam. I really need the 660 to make getting an MBA worth it. I took the GMAT for the first time today. I got a 600 (40 quantitative, and 32 verbal). I finished the quantitative section of the test with seventeen minutes to spare. I really expected a higher score. I was really surprised at how low my math score was considering I deal with difficult high level math on a daily basis. I got a 32 on the ACT back in high school, so it's not like I don't perform on standardized tests. How should I plan to study in preparation for taking the test again?

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Thu Jan 12, 2017 3:06 pm
Hi bob1123,

Based on what you described, it sounds like you studied for just a couple of weeks by working through a series of books (but without ever actually measuring your progress or readiness to take the GMAT) and then scored 600 on the Official Test. There are several 'issues' with how you've chosen to approach this process - and we have to define them before we can fix them and you can hit your goal score.

To start, a 600 would have been a solid initial CAT score (the average score on the Official GMAT hovers around 540-550 most years) and if you had that type of a score as a reference point, then you could have used that information to make sure that you were focused on honing the proper skills. Based on how you were studying, you never had any idea how you were actually going to score. Taking FULL-LENGTH CATs under realistic conditions - and at regular intervals - is an essential part of the study process, so you will have to include that as part of your future studies.

Second, many Test Takers spend 3 months (or more) of consistent study time before they hit their 'peak' scores, so two weeks likely would not have been enough time for you to hit your score goal - regardless of how you had handled that time. You won't necessarily need another 2.5 months of study, but I suspect that at least another month will be required.

Third, the Quant section of the GMAT is NOT a 'math test'; it's a critical thinking test that requires lots of little calculations as a way to measure a variety of non-math skills. This is meant to say that to score at a significantly higher level in the Quant section (and thus, overall), you'll need to change how you "see" (and respond to) that section of the Test. In addition, finishing any section 17 minutes early is almost always a bad sign - it almost certainly means that you rushed your way through questions that you could have gotten correct if you had slowed down and done more diligent, organized work. With a Q40, you made lots of little mistakes throughout the section and missed out on lots of 'strategy-based' points.

Before I can offer you the specific advice that you're looking for, it would help if you could provide a bit more information on your timeline/goals:

1) How do you know that a 660 will guarantee you free tuition?
2) When are you planning to apply to Business School?
3) Are you considering applying to any Schools besides the one School that you've referred to?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

by bob1123 » Thu Jan 12, 2017 3:43 pm
My situation is probably atypical. Without going into a lot of detail, the university I'm interested in has a program for engineers that will cover the costs if I meet certain requirements. The last requirement is obtaining a 660. I'm not really interested in applying to other business schools for practical and economic reasons. I do have until late May to attain this score! When I took the ACT way back in high school, I took it cold without studying. I really don't know how to study for an exam like this. How should I go about using my time to prepare?

Legendary Member
Followed by:140 members

How to rock the GMAT.

by MartyMurray » Fri Jan 13, 2017 12:46 am
bob1123 wrote:My situation is probably atypical. Without going into a lot of detail, the university I'm interested in has a program for engineers that will cover the costs if I meet certain requirements. The last requirement is obtaining a 660. I'm not really interested in applying to other business schools for practical and economic reasons. I do have until late May to attain this score! When I took the ACT way back in high school, I took it cold without studying. I really don't know how to study for an exam like this. How should I go about using my time to prepare?
Hi.

I know how you feel. Before I prepared for the GMAT I had not prepared for a test like it, and I was not really sure how to get my score to increase.

I think that the first order of business for you is to realize that, as Rich indicated, GMAT quant is not a math test. It's a test that uses basic math to see how good you are at figuring things out. So it is full of trick and traps, and much of what really matters for scoring high are what you notice and how good you are at hacking your way to answers, rather than how good you are at math. By approaching it as a math test and by finishing 17 minutes early, you got tricked by the tricks and didn't see what you had to see in order to get more right answers.

I wonder whether just by realizing that GMAT quant is a tricky test, practicing data sufficiency questions for a week, and using the entire time available for quant next time you take a test you could hit your score goal in a week. Likely that is the case.

Still, I'll give you some more ideas.

Increasing your GMAT quant score can be done in the following ways. Since likely you could be better at data sufficiency questions, do a LOT of data sufficiency questions. As I said, just doing data sufficiency questions might be sufficient.

Beyond that, you could go over the practice test that you took and see what types of questions you didn't get right. The test tends to be pretty consistent in terms of the types of questions that appear on it. So by going over that test to see what to work on and then focusing on the types of questions that you are not as good at answering, you can drive your quant score up point by point.

For instance, if you weren't sure how to get the answer to a question involving triangles, you could address that situation by learning about how triangles are used in GMAT questions and doing thirty or more triangle questions.

The same could be done with exponent questions, absolute value questions and other types of questions.

I think if you were to get better at data sufficiency, get better at a few categories of questions, and slow down when you are taking a test, your hitting 660+ by scoring higher on quant would be a lock.

Even so, you could also work on verbal.

When you do verbal, and quant, practice questions, take all the time you need in order to get the right answers. Learning to see what's going on, not get tricked, and get right answers is the key. Once you are good at those things, you can speed up and keep doing them.

To go from 600 to 660, you need basically maybe 6 to 10 more right answers. Getting them is not such a big deal. By combining some slow, careful verbal practice geared toward learning to see more with some topic by topic quant work, you should hit you goal.
Last edited by MartyMurray on Wed Feb 06, 2019 8:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Marty Murray
Perfect Scoring Tutor With Over a Decade of Experience
MartyMurrayCoaching.com
Contact me at [email protected] for a free consultation.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member

by [email protected] » Fri Jan 13, 2017 9:58 am
Hi bob1123,

If a 660+ is the 'threshold' that you need to cross, then your Official Score provides you with an interesting opportunity. Most Test Takers look to maximize their performances in BOTH the Quant and Verbal sections - but you could pick up ALL of the missing points that you're looking for in just the Quant or in just the Verbal. This is meant to say that if your current skills are considered a 'given', then you could very easily focus on one section of the Test for the next month, retake the GMAT and hit your score goal. Given your Quant 'leanings', that plan might be the most efficient way to approach all of this. From what you've described, you actually have lots of potential study time though, so you can always continue to study for a longer period if your next result doesn't hit the mark.

1) Going forward, how many hours do you think you can study each week?

Rich

by bob1123 » Sun Jan 22, 2017 5:23 pm
Sorry for my late response, I have been traveling heavily for my work. I've scheduled my next exam for the 24th of February, giving me about a month to study. I plan on spending 1-2 hours per day on weekdays and 3-4 hours per day on weekends preparing for the exam. I appreciate all the links to problem banks! They will come in very handy! I do have the 5th edition Manhattan prep books, but no access to their online materials. I intend to take some practice exams to gauge my current position and get a better feel for how to pace myself for the exam. Is it worth it to pay the fee to access Manhattan's online practice exams or are there other quality practice exams out there?

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member

by [email protected] » Sun Jan 22, 2017 5:42 pm
Hi bob1123,

With a February 24th Test Date, you have a little less than 5 weeks of potential study time. While that could very well be enough time to hit your score goal, you're going to have to be disciplined about your studies. If you don't have a consistent routine (meaning that you only study "when you can"), then you could inadvertently score at the exact same level during this next attempt. From what you've described, it does not sound like you studied much over the last 10 days - and you cannot afford to let that type of 'lag' happen again before February 24th.

I suggest that you focus on the Quant section for this next week, then take a realistic FULL-LENGTH CAT next weekend (with the Essay and IR sections, away from your home, at the same time of day as your Official GMAT, etc.). That score result will help to define whether you're building the necessary skills or not to hit your score goal.

Rich

by bob1123 » Sun Jan 22, 2017 6:11 pm
How do you suggest I focus on the Quant material in the coming week? In the road up to my first exam I read through the Manhattan books and did the problems at the end of each section. Should I go back over this material, or should I focus on doing practice problems and learn from my mistakes by logging errors?

Legendary Member

by MartyMurray » Mon Jan 23, 2017 4:53 am
bob1123 wrote:How do you suggest I focus on the Quant material in the coming week? In the road up to my first exam I read through the Manhattan books and did the problems at the end of each section. Should I go back over this material, or should I focus on doing practice problems and learn from my mistakes by logging errors?
Probably you should do a hybrid of those two things.

Now that you have learned all ABOUT quant, you have to learn TO GET RIGHT ANSWERS CONSISTENTLY.

So your prep going forward should be performance driven, meaning you do practice problems, seeking to get right answer, and when you run into something that you aren't clear about, THEN you go back to the materials to learn more about it. You can also review and broaden your understanding by using Beat the GMAT as you can use the Forums by finding ways in which people found answers to questions that you are not sure how to answer and by posting questions.

Also, while error logs can be useful, don't get into a habit of feeling good because you are doing questions and logging errors and learning things. You have to be learning to get right answers. Get it? Right answers are the key here. It's easy to feel that you are learning and miss the fact that you are not learning to get right answers.

The truth is that to score 660 you don't have to know all that much GMAT specific stuff. You are already scoring 40 on verbal. With another point or two in verbal and a low 40's score in quant, you will be at or beyond 660. You have read the books and learned about the GMAT. Now learn to get right answers.

The questions that you need to answer in order to get a score around 40 in quant do not involve much crazy math and are to a large degree logic based. For instance, a question may seem to be about averages, but actually in order to get it right you have to see that even though you have a lot of information, you don't have enough to calculate the average it is asking for.

By rushing through and finishing 17 minutes early when you took that practice test, you missed the logic tricks. That's why reading more is not the answer. You have to learn to see what you have to see, and you learn that by practicing.

So, slow down, practice learning to see what you have to see, and go back to the books, or go to Beat the GMAT or somewhere else, as necessary in order to fill in gaps in your conceptual understanding.
Marty Murray
MartyMurrayCoaching.com

Legendary Member

How to rock the GMAT.

by MartyMurray » Mon Jan 23, 2017 5:34 am
bob1123 wrote:Sorry for my late response, I have been traveling heavily for my work. I've scheduled my next exam for the 24th of February, giving me about a month to study. I plan on spending 1-2 hours per day on weekdays and 3-4 hours per day on weekends preparing for the exam. I appreciate all the links to problem banks! They will come in very handy! I do have the 5th edition Manhattan prep books, but no access to their online materials. I intend to take some practice exams to gauge my current position and get a better feel for how to pace myself for the exam. Is it worth it to pay the fee to access Manhattan's online practice exams or are there other quality practice exams out there?
Hi Bob.

Had you taken a practice exam before you took the real test, you may have hit your goal score the first time. Knowing how to get right answers is one aspect of hitting your score goal, and another is handling the test itself. It is likely that by taking some practice tests you would have learned that the GMAT is to a large degree a reasoning game and that finishing early is generally not a good idea. So taking some practice tests is a good idea.

Remember as you go through your preparation process that GMAT quant and verbal are to a large degree reasoning games. The tests with the questions that have the best reasoning tricks are the official ones.

I am curious to see how you do on an official test if you take your time and look for logic tricks. You can score rather high even by getting almost all of the first thirty quant questions right and rushing through the last seven. In any case, by practicing looking for the key things that you have to see and then focusing on catching the logic aspects and tricks of the questions when taking a practice test, you may hit your score goal this week.
Last edited by MartyMurray on Tue Aug 18, 2020 4:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Marty Murray
MartyMurrayCoaching.com

Legendary Member
Followed by:128 members
GMAT Score:770

by DavidG@VeritasPrep » Mon Jan 23, 2017 6:40 am
As you get closer to test-day, you'll also want to spend a little time thinking about the psychological dimension of the GMAT. (Spoiler alert: it's enormous.) A simple mindset adjustment can easily improve your score by 50+ points. Check out this article about test-day hacks to boost performance:

https://creatingpositivefutures.com/3-re ... t-anxiety/
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor

Veritas Prep Reviews
Save $100 off any live Veritas Prep GMAT Course

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1268 members
GMAT Score:770

by Brent@GMATPrepNow » Mon Jan 23, 2017 6:45 am
I'll echo David's point: adopting the proper mindset/attitude on test day will do wonders for your score.

To this end, you may be interested in the following articles:
- https://www.gmatprepnow.com/articles/min ... -destroyer
- https://www.gmatprepnow.com/articles/jun ... g-big-gmat

Cheers,
Brent
Brent Hanneson - Creator of GMATPrepNow.com