Small progress is still progress! Stay Motivated!

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Followed by:2 members
I took an initial practice CAT (GMATprep) a little less than 3 weeks ago. Scored a 560. Q31, v36.

Afterwards I began my studies with the OG, Magoosh and the MGMAT books. I've been studying about 2 hours a day and 4-5 hours each weekend day. Except for this past week where I was sick and had no energy to study. I finished the 1st MGMAT (FDP) book and I am halfway through the second. I took my second practice CAT today (MGMAT) and scored a 590 Q34, V36.

I know this is barely any progress, but after reviewing my score, I did well on the topics that I have been studying. This at least gives me hope that I am retaining the information that I'm studying!

I will say that this is not an easy process. It can be mentally exhausting and takes a lot of discipline, but I am trusting that the hard work will pay off. 3 weeks into my journey to hopefully achieving a score over 700!

Long road ahead...

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1268 members
GMAT Score:770

by Brent@GMATPrepNow » Mon Jan 23, 2017 7:02 am
If I were you, I wouldn't make any conclusions about your progress based on the results of your second practice test.

At the moment, you're comparing apples and oranges. At best, you're comparing 2 different kinds of apples. On one hand, you have the official GMAT practice test (GMATPrep), which uses official GMAT questions and the official GMAT scoring algorithm. Also keep in mind that the test-makers (GMAC) collect a lot of data on every question, and every question has been asked in a formal testing environment, so that the well-prepared test-takers are trying their very best to answer every question.

While many test-prep companies have great practice tests, those companies would never suggest that their tests are as accurate as the official practice tests. The 3rd-party tests don't use retired GMAT questions, they don't use the official scoring algorithm, and the data collected on each question cannot be as accurate, because the students taking the tests aren't doing so in a formal testing environment.

So, while 3rd-party tests are great for practicing your test-taking skills, and for identifying weaknesses, you shouldn't use them to gauge your progress.

If you're going to compare your initial GMATPrep score of 560 with another test result, take another official practice test.

Cheers,
Brent
Brent Hanneson - Creator of GMATPrepNow.com

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Followed by:2 members

by PKGguy » Mon Jan 23, 2017 3:46 pm
Thanks for the reply @brent.

As suggested in my post, it is more that I saw improvement in certain areas. Specifically the areas that I have studied, which happen to be few, asI have only been studying for a small amount of time.

I am well aware that the score difference is nominal and essentially equal given the variation that is inherent in taking practice CATs from different companies.

Thanks!
-E

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:21 members

by Bara » Wed Jan 25, 2017 12:37 am
Yes. There is 'some' improvement - - but it's not earth shattering.

What particular areas had you focused on where you saw improvement?

Higher yield topics would have brought you a higher score, I'd imagine.

What areas are you still working on and how are you doing it.
Bara Sapir, MA, CHt, CNLP
Founder/CEO City Test Prep
Maximize your Score, Minimize your Stress!
GMAT Badass and Test Anxiety Relief Expert
SPEEDREADING: https://citytestprep.com/mindflow-workshops/
ANXIETY RELIEF: https://citytestprep.com/mindfulness-therapy/
BOOK: https://tinyurl.com/TPNYSC
TV: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=McA4aqCNS-c