Guidance needed - Initial CAT (cold/no studying)-560

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Followed by:2 members
Hey guys,

I am beginning my GMAT study prep and have taken an initial GMATprep practice CAT. I was hesitant about taking it without studying at all, but went ahead and did it since I read so many posts saying that this was the right way to do it.

Anyways, I took it cold without any studying and scored a 560.

Quant: 31 (26th %)
Verbal: 36 (79th%)
IR: 5 (52nd%)

I am targeting a score above 700 (hopefully 720ish) and I am planning to sit for the exam in early April. I would love some advice on how to proceed forward/if you guys think it's possible to get my score to above 700.

Target schools are Fuqua, Ross, Kenan-Flagler, Goizueta, possibly some more M7's if I can get my GMAT up.

Thanks!
Last edited by PKGguy on Mon Jan 02, 2017 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:21 members

by Bara » Mon Jan 02, 2017 4:06 pm
Congrats on taking the first step! I love reading that you took a diagnostic without studying. Definitely the best way to start! Way to go!

At this point, you are starting with a solid score (and a known performance/score snapshot). From your percentages, you need less support with Verbal and more with Quant. And it's absolutely possible for you to get at 700,720 or higher.

Your abilities, as demonstrated by taking this diagnostic, can be thought of as actually being within a 60-point spread, 530 - 590. In this 'long short-race' to get up to 700 or 720, you need to make sure you're able to eventually, and consistently, score a 670 (lowest), to 750. You won't want to sit for the real test, until this is true.

In terms of HOW to do this, best methods in study involve a strategic study plan - - which means you understand EXACTLY where you're at, and devise a plan on how to get there, dedicating time and focus to learn, practice (a shit-ton), and take diagnostic tests.

I recommend that your first step, is to go back to the diagnostic you took and learn from it. Engage with every question individually, so you understand where you need to improve: content mastery, test-taking strategy, and/or mindset. And this should be done each time you take a diagnostic...it's NOT just about the score...it's about what you get wrong and how.

Here are evaluation/analysis steps:
  • Take time to understand why your answer was not correct, and why the answer that is, is.
    Put questions into categories as to what you got incorrect, ie. Sentence Correction, verb-agreement) AND Identify if there is a pattern to how you answered.
    Do the process for questions you guessed on (how many are those? Do you understand how to do them now? Is it material you need to learn or forgot?)
    Look at the questions you got correct. Confirm you understand why, and that it wasn't just a fluke you got it right.
    If you had any emotional reaction from any of the questions, note that, if you can remember (nervous, worried, anxious, self assured, arrogant, confused, calm, etc.) .
    And overall - - take stock in how it 'felt' taking the test as a whole.
This engagement with the test and who you are on it, now, will give you a comprehensive blueprint of your current base performance, and provide the insight you need to plan next steps.

I look forward to hearing how this goes for you or if you want to engage with the diagnostic this way.

Best,

Bara
Bara Sapir, MA, CHt, CNLP
Founder/CEO City Test Prep
Maximize your Score, Minimize your Stress!
GMAT Badass and Test Anxiety Relief Expert
SPEEDREADING: https://citytestprep.com/mindflow-workshops/
ANXIETY RELIEF: https://citytestprep.com/mindfulness-therapy/
BOOK: https://tinyurl.com/TPNYSC
TV: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=McA4aqCNS-c

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Mon Jan 02, 2017 4:43 pm
Hi PKGguy,

A 560 is a solid initial CAT score (the average score on the Official GMAT hovers around 540-550 most years). Back in May/2016, you mentioned how you were just beginning your studies - did you actually end up studying at all during 2016 or did you push back your study/application plans?

Regardless, you will likely need at least 3 months of consistent, guided study to hit your score goal. Thankfully, you appear to have given yourself plenty of time, which is good. When are you planning to apply to Business School?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Followed by:2 members

by PKGguy » Mon Jan 02, 2017 4:55 pm
@Bara- Thanks for taking the time to reply! I created an error log earlier today for this specific reason. I plan on going through each question that I missed to diagnose where I went wrong/what I need to review. Quant is definitely my weak point as I have not done any math for quite a while.

So far I have the 2017 OG and the MGMAT 10 book set that I plan on using to practice concepts and problems. Any other resources that might be helpful? I was thinking about something like Magoosh to give me a more directed study plan.

What I am struggling with the most right now is how to approach my studying in terms of what to attack first. Study concepts, do practice questions, or some combination of both?

@Rich - I ended up not studying at all last year. I was a little early in terms of work experience and was starting a new job so it wasn't a good time to really crank down on the preparation.

The goal right now is to apply for Fall of 2018 assuming my GMAT goes well.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Tue Jan 03, 2017 10:30 am
Hi PKGguy,

Doing a full review of each CAT that you take is an essential part of the GMAT training process. While the little details really DO matter (you need to try to define WHY you're getting questions wrong), in the early-going you can group your incorrect answers into a handful of categories:

After reviewing each section, how many questions did you get wrong....
1) Because of a silly/little mistake?
2) Because there was some math/verbal that you just could not remember how to do?
3) Because the question was too hard?
4) Because you were low on time and had to guess?

Thankfully, the GMAT is a consistent, predictable Exam, so you CAN train to score at a higher level. One of the keys to doing all of this efficiently is to find the resources that best mesh with your 'personality.'

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:21 members

by Bara » Tue Jan 03, 2017 10:51 am
PKGguy,

My pleasure.

Definitely put the quant questions in a kind of matrix and see if your answers fall into these categories:
  • 1) knew how to do - got it right
    2) knew how to do - got it wrong (careless mistake or something serious missing/though you knew but you didn't)

3) kinda knew but guessed - got it right
    4) kinda knew but guessed - got it wrong

5) WTF - guessed - got it right
    6) WTF - guessed - got it wrong

7) took too long
    8) went too fast
    9) went just right

10) Was nervous/triggered by question (and how)
There are a lot of resources available. If you were our client, I'd prescribe our math manual, plus an online-math self-study program, along with the guidance of one of our math gurus. That way you get tons of targeted practice guidance. Extremely streamlined. In terms of what you want to target first, you need to think about highest yield topics then work to the less important ones. Based on WHAT you're getting incorrect, and how, would drive how to start studying. Hands down, studying concepts comes first, then practice, then quizzing, then diagnostic exams. Lather, Rinse, Repeat....

Do NOT go directly to practice questions...you need to create a kind of muscle memory before you play the game. It's the same reason people learn and master scales and chords before learning to play and read complicated music.

And keep up the verbal. :)

Keep us posted, and feel free to reach out to me directly with any questions.
      Bara Sapir, MA, CHt, CNLP
      Founder/CEO City Test Prep
      Maximize your Score, Minimize your Stress!
      GMAT Badass and Test Anxiety Relief Expert
      SPEEDREADING: https://citytestprep.com/mindflow-workshops/
      ANXIETY RELIEF: https://citytestprep.com/mindfulness-therapy/
      BOOK: https://tinyurl.com/TPNYSC
      TV: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=McA4aqCNS-c