High School Students

This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

High School Students

by rac.nishu » Sun Jun 23, 2013 1:18 pm

The Official Answer is E

I want to understand that how can we assume that the students would not have familiarity with the Educational Life when they have been through it for so many years!

Its kind of weird and makes me eliminate the right answer.

You can find this in the Kaplan Official Guide

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:247 members

by ceilidh.erickson » Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:32 am
I think you might be making the mistake of projecting your own real-world observations and assumptions onto the argument.

When you have a STRENGTHEN question, the first step is to ask yourself - what is the argument missing? Are there any assumptions or logical gaps to address?

In this argument, the author is concluding that students will not succeed in designing their own curricula because they lack maturity and experience. Thus, the author is assuming that maturity and experience are the necessary conditions for success: good curricula = maturity + experience.

If we want to strengthen this argument, we need to add in a new piece of information that supports this idea. We don't have to make the conclusion 100% true, we just have to support that underlying assumption. You might be perfectly correct that in the real world, going to school for 10+ years would give students "familiarity with educational life." Your job isn't to find what's true in the real world, though. Your job is to find the piece of information that - if true - would support that conclusion.

I agree that it's a bit of an annoying answer, but that will sometimes happen on the GMAT! Does it make sense why that's the only answer choice that speaks to our assumption, though?
Ceilidh Erickson
EdM in Mind, Brain, and Education
Harvard Graduate School of Education

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by rac.nishu » Wed Jun 26, 2013 6:30 am
Thanks ceilidh.erickson!

I get what you mean to say! I could also see that none of the other choices relate to the conclusion, so I could come back to the option E.

Really helpful response! This was the first time when I was not convinced with the answer explanation given in the book and your reply helped me a lot :)

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:2 members

by Amrabdelnaby » Mon Dec 21, 2015 11:46 am
It's all about those little details and keywords that you have to catch in order to get the right answer.
When taking the CR, assume that you know nothing about the real world and all the information that you need to get the right answer is only in the text you are given.

If you are able to spot the key words, like here for example, experience, maturity and familiarity and years....
you will be able to solve the CR questions easily
rac.nishu wrote:Thanks ceilidh.erickson!

I get what you mean to say! I could also see that none of the other choices relate to the conclusion, so I could come back to the option E.

Really helpful response! This was the first time when I was not convinced with the answer explanation given in the book and your reply helped me a lot :)

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by Gurpreet singh » Sat Sep 03, 2016 10:31 pm
Can any one post the question. image is missing.

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:247 members

by ceilidh.erickson » Mon Jan 02, 2017 6:47 pm
I believe that this is the same question:
The local high school students have been clamoring for the freedom do design their own curricula. Allowing this would be as allowing three-year-olds to choose their own diets. These students have neither the maturity nor the experience to equal that of the professional educators now doing the job.

Which of the following statements, if true, would most strengthen the above argument?

A. high school students have less formal education than those who currently design the curricula.
B. Three-year-olds do not, if left to their own devices, choose healthful diets.
C. The local high school students are less intelligent than the average teenager.
D. Individualized curricula are more beneficial to high school students than are the standard curricula, which are rigid and unresponsive to their particular strengths and weaknesses.
E. The ability to design good curricula develops only after years of familiarity with educational life.
Ceilidh Erickson
EdM in Mind, Brain, and Education
Harvard Graduate School of Education