690 (Q42,V42) Frustrated and need advice, at a loss of words

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Guys, I just took my latest GMAT exam and I'm sitting here beating myself up. Honestly stuck on deciding what my next move should be. My GMAT journey has been looong, roughly 6 months, and I have placed it at my highest of priorities. I worked my butt off for 6 months with the aim of attaining a 700+.

Look below for all my Gmat Practice and Official Tests. As you can see I'm super perseverant and have a tremendous work ethic.

The latest Official GMAT that I just took is a great score! However, I'm disappointed with myself for two reasons. One, I scored far far far below my quantitative average score of the past eight tests, 45. Two, my IR score is abysmal and also far far below my typical IR average.

Here are my questions:
  • 1) Do you think it's worth it to take this test again? Should I mistrust the feeling that I deserve a higher score based on previous performances?
    2) The next date I can take the test, 16 days from today, is a few days after the majority of Top Ten second round applications are due.
    a. Can I still apply and provide them with an updated score?
    b. How bad are my odds of acceptance if I wait until their third round of applications?
    3) If I decide to keep the score, how bad will this latest IR score look with the rest of my GMAT application portion? How bad will it look if I choose to apply outside of top 10, like UT Austin?
    a. I scored a 5.5/6 on my previous essay and I feel that I did significantly better on this essay
My background
  • - Mechanical Engineer undergraduate from UT Austin with 3.7/4 GPA (Magne Cum Laude)
    - 4 Years work experience in one of the top 5 Oil and Gas Companies
My Scores
  • 1) MGMAT: 440 (Q23, V28) (IR: 2)(Dry run, no studying at all)
    2) MGMAT: 580 (Q40, V31) (IR: 4)
    3) MGMAT: 580 (Q39, V31) (IR: 4)
    4) Kaplan: 640 (Q44, V34) (IR:6)
    5) Kaplan: 620 (Q41, V34)(IR: 6)
    6) MGMAT: 620 (Q43, V32) (IR:6)
    7) GMAC: 680 (Q43, V40) (IR: 8)
    8) Kaplan: 450(Q46, V5) (Rage Quit)
    9) MGMAT: 650 (Q45, V34) (IR: 5)
    10) Kaplan: 680 (Q45, V39) (IR: 8)
    11) MGMAT: 640 (Q45, V33) (IR:6)
    12) GMAC: 640 (Q46, V32) (IR:6)
    13) Official Test: 660 (Q45, V36) (IR:5)
    14) GMAC: 690 (Q45, V40) (IR: 8)
    15) Official Test: 690 (Q42, V42) (IR:2)

In between the 14th and 15th test I spent my focus on mastering the verbal portion and reducing my test anxiety through the practice of meditation; both of which helped tremendously. However, this was not at the expense of getting out of practice with Quant, I drilled Quant just as hard as before. Therefore, the score is baffling for me because of both Quant and IR. Very very very frustrated right now with the thought of lost potential "Had I only done as good as usual on Quant....." :cry:

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Thu Dec 29, 2016 4:28 pm
Hi SonofaSaracen,

First off, both the 660 and 690 are strong scores (they're both between the 80th percentile and 90th percentile overall), so either could be enough to get you into your first-choice School. As such, a retest might not be necessary. You're ultimately asking Admissions questions though, so you would likely find it beneficial to speak with an Admissions Expert about your overall profile. There's a Forum full of them here:

https://www.beatthegmat.com/ask-an-mba-a ... t-f40.html

My suspicion is that most of the Admissions Experts will advise that you retest (since you really have nothing to lose and most Business Schools will accept 'updated' information after you've sent in your application). Whether you choose to retest or not is up to you.

1) What Schools are you planning to apply to?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:21 members

by Bara » Tue Jan 03, 2017 1:15 am
I have a few things to say about your post.

You definitely worked hard, but did you work smart? How did you study? How did you get MGMAT and Kaplan tests in your study? Why only 3 GMAC tests? The paper ones will likely be valuable too...you may not have used them.

Also...a note on what ou said about 'deserving' a 700...I know it's easy to say, but 700s aren't really something someone 'deserves'. Your study is not being reflected in the score. It's how you think. What kind of business person are you -- reckless? arrogant? This too is what the test indicates, So, perhaps you didn't intend it that way, but an approach/attitude 'of deserving' can get you in trouble, IMHO, because you won't benefit by drawing in this kind of dynamic when taking test. There needs to be more humility, honor and engagement. Getting a great score, and taking the tests (as compared to it taking YOU) is more like a dance, with the exhiliration when you rock it, than something that is 'deserved.'

A different attitude, combined with the meditation...will be great to embody. What I hear is: 'I studied for 6 months like a DOG, and all i got was this lousy score'...I promise you: the test rewards you - - as the world will - - for awesome leadership...your ability to have perseverance and focus is AMAZING...and schools will see that in the mere number of times you're willing to retake the test...AND I'm impressed that you incorporated meditation (there are other aspects of gaining mental acuity which I'll elaborate on shortly). Before I can challenge or advise you on "what" to do, I, likely we (the other folks who will respond) need to know what you were doing for those 6 months. What materials? What process? What worked or didn't? You've essentially gone up 100 points from first studying, and 250 points from your dry run: which is AWESOME. But yes, I understand you want more. And you CAN get it. But you'll need to work smarter.

I arranged your scores differently to see if there is use in comparing like with like. I mostly see that your IR score improved, and that you scored consistently best on the real tests/GMAC diagnostics, and that your last GMAC score is comparable to your last Official test. Telling because that is common. But yeah, what happened on your real test with the IR?

Scores
1) MGMAT: 440 (Q23, V28) (IR: 2)(Dry run, no studying at all)
2) MGMAT: 580 (Q40, V31) (IR: 4)
3) MGMAT: 580 (Q39, V31) (IR: 4)
6) MGMAT: 620 (Q43, V32) (IR:6)
9) MGMAT: 650 (Q45, V34) (IR: 5)
11) MGMAT: 640 (Q45, V33) (IR:6)

7) GMAC: 680 (Q43, V40) (IR: 8)
12) GMAC: 640 (Q46, V32) (IR:6)
14) GMAC: 690 (Q45, V40) (IR: 8)

4) Kaplan: 640 (Q44, V34) (IR:6)
5) Kaplan: 620 (Q41, V34)(IR: 6)
8) Kaplan: 450(Q46, V5) (Rage Quit)
10) Kaplan: 680 (Q45, V39) (IR: 8)

13) Official Test: 660 (Q45, V36) (IR:5)
15) Official Test: 690 (Q42, V42) (IR:2)

Curious about your test anxiety and if it came up during the test. Meditation is fantastic, and if that wasn't enough I can recommend other things based on how the anxiety actually represents.

1) Do you think it's worth it to take this test again? Should I mistrust the feeling that I deserve a higher score based on previous performances?

It all depends on dates things are due and HOW you study this next round. At a 690, to get over the hump you need to do fine tuning which isn't a long haul. Still, I'm curious about not only WHAT you're getting incorrect but HOW you're getting it wrong.

2) Ask an admissions consultant about the schools, deadlines, and how the schools typically approach letting them know you'll be taking the GMAT again and sending them the updated score.

GOOD LUCK!
Bara Sapir, MA, CHt, CNLP
Founder/CEO City Test Prep
Maximize your Score, Minimize your Stress!
GMAT Badass and Test Anxiety Relief Expert
SPEEDREADING: https://citytestprep.com/mindflow-workshops/
ANXIETY RELIEF: https://citytestprep.com/mindfulness-therapy/
BOOK: https://tinyurl.com/TPNYSC
TV: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=McA4aqCNS-c

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:247 members

by ceilidh.erickson » Tue Jan 10, 2017 3:27 pm
1) Do you think it's worth it to take this test again? Should I mistrust the feeling that I deserve a higher score based on previous performances?
A 690 is the highest score that you've gotten on any test, so you need to think about what would be required to score higher. I would say: don't schedule another test yet, but study for another month to try to improve. If you're getting CAT scores of 710 or above, then retake it.
2) The next date I can take the test, 16 days from today, is a few days after the majority of Top Ten second round applications are due.
a. Can I still apply and provide them with an updated score?
Schools have different policies on this. Some may only let you retake if there is an extenuating circumstance (medical issue that wouldn't allow you to take it before, etc). You'll have to call the admissions department and ask.
b. How bad are my odds of acceptance if I wait until their third round of applications?
Conventional wisdom is that there's not much difference between 1st and 2nd round, but much more difference between 2nd and 3rd. By the 3rd round, the school may already have accepted 80-90% of their class, and are just looking for the SUPER-special applicants with unique stories to round out their class. If you story isn't that unique, it's probably better to apply round 2 with a 690 than round 3 with a 710.
3) If I decide to keep the score, how bad will this latest IR score look with the rest of my GMAT application portion? How bad will it look if I choose to apply outside of top 10, like UT Austin?
ALWAYS KEEP THE SCORE. Even if you decide to retake, never cancel a score! They only look at your top score. More here: https://www.manhattanprep.com/gmat/blog ... rting-etc/

Generally, schools still care way less about IR than about the 200-800 score. A 2 isn't great, but it probably won't be a dealbreaker, unless you're interested in applying to consulting firms after b-school. Those firms often use IR as part of the hiring process.
a. I scored a 5.5/6 on my previous essay and I feel that I did significantly better on this essay
No one cares about the essay. It's almost totally meaningless.

I think you're probably best-served to apply now with the 690 you have. Good luck!
Ceilidh Erickson
EdM in Mind, Brain, and Education
Harvard Graduate School of Education

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by jaiyeolab » Sun May 28, 2017 7:18 pm
sonofasaracen wrote:

In between the 14th and 15th test I spent my focus on mastering the verbal portion and reducing my test anxiety through the practice of meditation;
I hope that things worked out great for you. I am wondering if you could share with me the things you did for meditation? I think focus is bringing me down and making me miss easy questions I would otherwise get.

Thanks in advance

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:21 members

by Bara » Mon May 29, 2017 11:03 am
I wanted to pop in here to talk briefly about meditation.

It's an amazing tool to up level people's focus and concentration - - among a whole host of other improvements, however it's something that one would gain benefit over time. If you don't have time, then your best bet is to explore other options which get rid of symptoms or build in ways you'd LIKE to be, like EFT, EMDR, NLP and Hypnosis. These are aligned with CBT, cognitive behavioral therapy, but take much less time. I've worked with students thew weekend before a GMAT and they've improved 230 points, with NO content study. Stuff works.

Contact me if you'd like more information or check out portions of our book about things you can do immediately. Link is below!
Bara Sapir, MA, CHt, CNLP
Founder/CEO City Test Prep
Maximize your Score, Minimize your Stress!
GMAT Badass and Test Anxiety Relief Expert
SPEEDREADING: https://citytestprep.com/mindflow-workshops/
ANXIETY RELIEF: https://citytestprep.com/mindfulness-therapy/
BOOK: https://tinyurl.com/TPNYSC
TV: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=McA4aqCNS-c