GMAT Preparation - Halfway Through

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

GMAT Preparation - Halfway Through

by Maysara » Wed Dec 14, 2016 12:04 am
Good morning everybody,

I have just finished the MGMAT 5 quantitative books (with the OG Quizzes at the end of each book). I did not solve the remaining OG problems (the ones that are not included in the MGMAT Books' quizzes).

What should be my next step?
Should I review these 5 books quickly and solve the remaining OG problems before starting the verbal books?
Should I start the verbal books and finish these OG problems after finishing the verbal books?
Should I start the verbal books and finish these OG problems in parallel?

If you have any other suggestions, please let me know.

Note: I also have the other two OG books (Quant & Verbal), which I can use after finishing MGMAT and OG-Review for revision.

Looking forward for your advises.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Wed Dec 14, 2016 10:01 am
Hi Maysara,

Your potential courses-of-action all seem to focus on a series of books. Unfortunately, many Test Takers who use a 'book heavy' study approach end up getting 'stuck' at a particular score level, so you'll likely end up needing to invest in some non-book resources. Before I can offer you the specific advice that you're looking for, it would help if you could provide a bit more information on how you've been studying and your goals:

Studies:
1) How long have you studied?
2) How have you scored on each of your CATs (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores)?

Goals:
3) What is your goal score?
4) When are you planning to take the GMAT?
5) When are you planning to apply to Business School?
6) What Schools are you planning to apply to?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by Maysara » Thu Dec 15, 2016 12:28 am
First of all, thank you for your reply.

[quote]Hi Maysara,

Your potential courses-of-action all seem to focus on a series of books. Unfortunately, many Test Takers who use a 'book heavy' study approach end up getting 'stuck' at a particular score level[/quote]

What is this 'particular score level'?

[quote]you'll likely end up needing to invest in some non-book resources.[/quote]

So, I have to take some online or classroom classes to be able to get a high score in the GMAT?!
Or what exactly do you mean with 'non-book resources'?
Because I have seen some statistics about people who got 700+ in the GMAT, most of them used MGMAT as their Quantitative section's reverence.

[quote]Before I can offer you the specific advice that you're looking for, it would help if you could provide a bit more information on how you've been studying and your goals:

Studies:
1) How long have you studied?
2) How have you scored on each of your CATs (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores)?

Goals:
3) What is your goal score?
4) When are you planning to take the GMAT?
5) When are you planning to apply to Business School?
6) What Schools are you planning to apply to?[/quote]

1) 2 months
2) I did not take any CAT yet. but I got 80% in the OG Diagnostic Test.
3) 750+
4) By the end of January, 2017.
5) In March, 2017 (for the next year).
6) INSEAD is my first choice, then Cambridge (Judge).

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Thu Dec 15, 2016 9:27 am
Hi Maysara,

The level at which many book-centric learners get stuck varies from person-to-person, but it's often in the 500s or low-600s. This doesn't necessarily mean that you'll get stuck, nor does it mean that you necessarily have to take a GMAT Course to hit your score goal. However, until you take a realistic, FULL LENGTH CAT (with the Essay and IR sections), we really have no idea what YOUR level is. Unfortunately, the pencil-and-paper Diagnostic in the OG is not a practical way to measure your readiness to take the Official GMAT (there are too many ways in which it doesn't 'match up' to the experience that you'll face on Test Day).

With a Test Date at the end of January, you have about 1.5 months of study time remaining. That may or may not be enough time though, so I highly recommend that you take a FULL CAT sometime soon (perhaps this weekend). Once you have that score result, you should post back here and we discuss how best to proceed.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]