Request for Profile Evaluation for Top 10 schools

Free advice from the world's top MBA consultants
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Really appreciate your time in doing this and hopefully you find my profile interesting enough to evaluate.

Background

Work experience: 2 years at an F500 chemicals company in UK. (controls/automation engineer -> project engineer) 1 year as an Analytics Consultant at Deloitte Advisory USA in risk analytics.

Internship: With one of the major international orgs (WB, IMF etc), and also one under the ex-Energy Information Administration chief.

Publications: 3, not amazing work but in the analytics space.

Extra curriculars: Many leadership roles in school, college and post-university including: school government, marketing head for large university clubs, promoting STEM education in local community, currently leading the deployment of solar power in rural India through a start up I started in graduate school (finalists in two major international social enterprise competitions).

Undergrad school/major: Top 3 UK University, Chemical Engineering

Undergrad GPA: First Class Honours (UK System) ~ 3.8 GPA

Other education/coursework: Grad School, Masters in Econometrics (3.82 GPA), Duke University

Race/nationality: Indian, Indian

International experience: Born in India, grew up in Thailand, 6 years in UK and 3 years in USA. Worked in all three countries.

GMAT: Male

GMAT Score: 720

MBA Info

Goal of MBA: I want to be a leader in data science consulting. Post-MBA, join MBB and become a key part of their growing big data/analytics practice.

Target schools: H/S/W. MIT Sloan (Top choice), Columbia, Booth, Kellog, Fuqua, Yale, Tuck, Michigan, LBS, & INSEAD.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:11 members

by Donna@Stratus » Tue Dec 13, 2016 5:17 pm
urkdul wrote:Really appreciate your time in doing this and hopefully you find my profile interesting enough to evaluate.

Background

Work experience: 2 years at an F500 chemicals company in UK. (controls/automation engineer -> project engineer) 1 year as an Analytics Consultant at Deloitte Advisory USA in risk analytics.

Internship: With one of the major international orgs (WB, IMF etc), and also one under the ex-Energy Information Administration chief.

Publications: 3, not amazing work but in the analytics space.

Extra curriculars: Many leadership roles in school, college and post-university including: school government, marketing head for large university clubs, promoting STEM education in local community, currently leading the deployment of solar power in rural India through a start up I started in graduate school (finalists in two major international social enterprise competitions).

Undergrad school/major: Top 3 UK University, Chemical Engineering

Undergrad GPA: First Class Honours (UK System) ~ 3.8 GPA

Other education/coursework: Grad School, Masters in Econometrics (3.82 GPA), Duke University

Race/nationality: Indian, Indian

International experience: Born in India, grew up in Thailand, 6 years in UK and 3 years in USA. Worked in all three countries.

GMAT: Male

GMAT Score: 720

MBA Info

Goal of MBA: I want to be a leader in data science consulting. Post-MBA, join MBB and become a key part of their growing big data/analytics practice.

Target schools: H/S/W. MIT Sloan (Top choice), Columbia, Booth, Kellog, Fuqua, Yale, Tuck, Michigan, LBS, & INSEAD.
For the schools you seek, the 720 is on the lighter side given your pool. However, you have an interesting international profile and good work experience. I see your best prospects as potentially Columbia in that their review process is holistic and the GMAT, while important always, is not as much of a driver. I think LBS and INSEAD are good options. MIT you will need to wow them with what you have accomplished and also explain why it is MIT is THE place for you. Applications are up significantly at MIT and Booth from what I am hearing so I might steer to some programs like Kellogg (make sure you remember that last g!), and maybe since you already have a Duke connection Fuqua. Be sure to spend time putting together an application where it is clear you know the program and why it is a good fit because you will need a strong application to break through- but it can be done. Good luck!

GMAT/MBA Expert

Legendary Member
Followed by:52 members

by CriticalSquareMBA » Sat Dec 17, 2016 7:51 am
Hi there,

Thanks for sharing your background with us - we love the details. You have quite an interesting story, and I think it makes sense to go after some of your target programs. Now, let's get into the details. Are you applying in R2? If so, which of these programs are you targeting? It's best to have a focused set of schools for each round. There are a variety of criteria for school selection - take a look at our thoughts here or a past blog post here.

Going purely off of your goals, I could see GSB, Sloan, and Booth providing you the best opportunities post MBA. Your overall fit will depend on the details of your experiences and application. I think you have a solid foundation, and your chances at each of the programs you listed are going to depend on how you position your fit within each school. The good news is that there are a whole host of schools that can help you achieve your goals.

Obviously, we support you in your journey to attend your dream school, but the fact of the matter is that MBB recruits at a lot of schools, even for their data/analytics practice. If you're considering working with a consultant to review your story and ensure that you're addressing the right points throughout your application, we'd love to chat. Feel free to sign up for a free consultation below.
Critical Square | MBA Admissions Services

Web | Facebook | Twitter

We love helping! Was this post helpful to you? Thank us and let me know!