-

Free advice from the world's top MBA consultants
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

-

by skn48517 » Mon Nov 21, 2016 6:47 am
closing thank u
Last edited by skn48517 on Tue Jan 24, 2017 7:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:11 members

by Alexbr@ClearAdmit » Fri Nov 25, 2016 4:04 am
Good experience, nice you returned to east Asia. The weakness appears to be your out of work activities, so the extent to which you can strengthen this area and illustrate real impact, that will help. Apply in round 1 if you can. You are aiming for the best, you will have a shot I think. cheers, Alex
New Book! Becoming a Clear Admit: The Definitive Guide to MBA Admissions. https://www.clearadmit.com/products/admi ... dmissions/

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:4 members

by 99Colleges: MBA Admission » Sat Nov 26, 2016 6:28 am
Hi skn48517,

Those are the schools you should target if your goal is to work in PE. The good part is that you've relevant workex as far as targeting PE, otherwise it just gets incredibly hard to justify how one can recruit post-MBA in a hyper-competitive industry.

Nonetheless, these are competitive programs to get in, and they would expect to see reasoned rationales for facts and evidences of leadership, impact, interpersonal skills, career growth (in terms of increase in responsibilities and/ or promotion), and so on. Portray them, and you would be competitive.
Anil, MBA (Wharton)| MBA Admissions Consultant
--------------------------------------
Consulting| Contact at [email protected] for your queries on MBA Admissions
--------------------------------------
And if you couldn't make it earlier, get a free ding analysis

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by skn48517 » Thu Dec 08, 2016 9:06 pm
Thank you all for the insightful feedback, I will have to focus heavily on my essays.

Also as a side question for Anil who said I have relevant work experience, will it be a negative factor if I write about my goal as being PE without the ACTUAL prior PE experience (ie, competing against applicants coming straight from PE)?
Or as you mentioned, since I have experience in FAS and a unique strategic investor-side M&A experience, would it "make sense" and not work against me?

GMAT/MBA Expert

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by VantagePointMBA » Fri Dec 09, 2016 11:39 am
Hi there,

Jumping in here since I went to an M7 school and have actually worked with a couple of clients with very similar backgrounds to yours (who were admitted to top programs). I completely agree with the advice above on applying in round 1 and focusing on building your resume (leadership experience, ownable achievements, etc.) between now and when you apply. I would strongly encourage you to consider early admission/decision at the schools that offer it in order to increase your chances. Both Columbia and Tuck offer that option, for example, and only Columbia's is binding. You also have the chance to further demonstrate leadership through your extra-curriculars. Perhaps there's more you can do there?

As for your career goals, I would actually urge you to consider an intermediate step between your MBA and long-term goals of going into PE. The fact is it will be very challenging to gain traction in post-MBA PE roles without prior IB or PE experience. It's not impossible, but the adcom may view that path as a risk. Instead, would you consider doing a couple years in IB to gain valuation / deal experience before moving into PE? The banks are more open to hiring MBAs without prior finance experience. They also typically offer structured training and development programs which you would likely benefit from. Even if you dual-path your recruiting strategy once you're on campus, it would be worth considering a less risky path for the purposes of your application if that's a plan you would genuinely be excited about. If you're still unsure, I would suggest connecting with recent alums from your target schools who went the PE route and get their take on the current recruiting environment. Perhaps they can provide further reassurance that you can include in your essays.

Best of luck to you! Let me know if I can be of further help!

Kindly,
Melody
Vantage Point MBA Admissions Consulting

We are admissions consulting: reimagined. Click here to learn more!