Profile Evaluation

Free advice from the world's top MBA consultants
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Profile Evaluation

by Tadilliner » Mon Nov 21, 2016 12:55 pm
Hello everyone, I would love to hear opinions on my profile. I'm specifically interested in feedback if my target schools are possible and what areas could use the most work.

Ethnicity: White Male

GPA: 3.85/4.0

GMAT: 740(48Q/45V/6IR/6AWA)

College: Large Public regional school in Midwest US. Double majored in Finance and Petroleum Land Management

Work experience: Private Oil & Gas company specializing in upstream operations (Exploration and Development). U.S. top 10 private producer of oil by volume. I work in asset acquisition and development. Think identifying potential areas of interest by working with Engineers and Geologists to determine economically viable prospects. My job is to then procure rights to drill wells and produce from those lands. I handle research, leasing, regulatory filings and proceedings, revenue tracking, and contract negotiation with other companies and individuals. No large promotions to speak of in my nearly 3 years of full-time experience but this is mainly due to the company culture. It is a very horizontal structure here. However, with our smaller team sizes employees are able to take part in candid conversations with C-level executives regarding strategy and general company decisions. I've managed nearly fifty projects ranging from $3-$15M in value each.

Extra-curriculars: Chair position of largest student association at undergrad university. Intrumural coordinator for Fraternity in college. I started my own small nutritional consulting company as a sort of side business after competing in physique competitions and having a lifelong sports background. Volunteer diet/nutrition/training consultant for my high school baseball/basketball programs and working on developing a nutrition initiative for general study body at that school. Recently started working with some student-athletes at the college level (on a volunteer basis) doing the same type of work.

Now that I'm done with the GMAT (I think) I am working on becoming a guest writer for a friend's largely circulated Energy industry newsletter and becoming a mentor for my undergrad institution's business school.

Why MBA: Looking to strengthen my general management skills to move into consulting or an LDP program. Although my energy experience does not directly relate to this, my unique position at a smaller (in employee size, not scope of operations) company has given me exposure to leadership and strategy decisions. I hope that the formal education and pedigree of a top 10 B-school will aid in the career switch.

Target Schools: (In no particular order) Harvard, Stanford, Wharton, Kellogg, Tuck, Ross, Darden

Thank you very much for any feedback/comments. I really appreciate any insight you all can give!

GMAT/MBA Expert

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:11 members

by Alexbr@ClearAdmit » Fri Nov 25, 2016 3:59 am
Seek out opportunities, over the next year, to continue to make an impact both at work and in your community. Focus the goals on one path forward, and you should be competitive for M7 (top 7) schools. cheers, Alex
New Book! Becoming a Clear Admit: The Definitive Guide to MBA Admissions. https://www.clearadmit.com/products/admi ... dmissions/

GMAT/MBA Expert

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:11 members

by Donna@Stratus » Sat Nov 26, 2016 6:13 am
Tadilliner wrote:Hello everyone, I would love to hear opinions on my profile. I'm specifically interested in feedback if my target schools are possible and what areas could use the most work.

Ethnicity: White Male

GPA: 3.85/4.0

GMAT: 740(48Q/45V/6IR/6AWA)

College: Large Public regional school in Midwest US. Double majored in Finance and Petroleum Land Management

Work experience: Private Oil & Gas company specializing in upstream operations (Exploration and Development). U.S. top 10 private producer of oil by volume. I work in asset acquisition and development. Think identifying potential areas of interest by working with Engineers and Geologists to determine economically viable prospects. My job is to then procure rights to drill wells and produce from those lands. I handle research, leasing, regulatory filings and proceedings, revenue tracking, and contract negotiation with other companies and individuals. No large promotions to speak of in my nearly 3 years of full-time experience but this is mainly due to the company culture. It is a very horizontal structure here. However, with our smaller team sizes employees are able to take part in candid conversations with C-level executives regarding strategy and general company decisions. I've managed nearly fifty projects ranging from $3-$15M in value each.

Extra-curriculars: Chair position of largest student association at undergrad university. Intrumural coordinator for Fraternity in college. I started my own small nutritional consulting company as a sort of side business after competing in physique competitions and having a lifelong sports background. Volunteer diet/nutrition/training consultant for my high school baseball/basketball programs and working on developing a nutrition initiative for general study body at that school. Recently started working with some student-athletes at the college level (on a volunteer basis) doing the same type of work.

Now that I'm done with the GMAT (I think) I am working on becoming a guest writer for a friend's largely circulated Energy industry newsletter and becoming a mentor for my undergrad institution's business school.

Why MBA: Looking to strengthen my general management skills to move into consulting or an LDP program. Although my energy experience does not directly relate to this, my unique position at a smaller (in employee size, not scope of operations) company has given me exposure to leadership and strategy decisions. I hope that the formal education and pedigree of a top 10 B-school will aid in the career switch.

Target Schools: (In no particular order) Harvard, Stanford, Wharton, Kellogg, Tuck, Ross, Darden

Thank you very much for any feedback/comments. I really appreciate any insight you all can give!
There are a lot of things I really like about your profile. For HBS I particularly like how I see leadership - from personal and professional life- and strong intellect. I think for GSB it is really just so hard to comment on anyone's chances given the odds being so low but if you want to give that a shot I'd start thinking now about what matters most... in prep for essay! I think your chances at all the rest very good and I also like that you are thinking seriously about this now. You have the gift of time- and that means this spring you should visit these programs- take a class- talk to students so you will understand the nuances of each and be ready to hit the ground running with your R1 applications. We at Stratus have some great resources for all these programs and I think you could benefit from even some hourly consulting if you have interest- it would be great for you to start working on these in June when the new questions go live and be ready to submit R1. With deadlines creeping ever earlier- to do a good job on R1 means to really be involved in May/June and also to take advantage of the previous spring to visit schools and see things when students are on campus. Here's a link to a 5% discount for any Stratus service- I do think you will do well- but I also think with our knowledge of these schools we can help you - here is link: https://stratusprep.com/admissions/busi ... b-visitor/

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by Tadilliner » Mon Nov 28, 2016 7:17 am
Thank you both for your suggestions and insight! I will continue to strengthen my application in the following months. After the holidays and rampant spending that always occurs I will be better able to assess my ability to use consulting services.

Cheers!