MBA in Japan.

Free advice from the world's top MBA consultants
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

MBA in Japan.

by MBA in Japan » Mon Nov 28, 2016 1:53 am
I am trying to guide some new potential students about doing a MBA in Japan next year. I have often questions about the GMAT score and I would like to better know the importance of the GMAT in Japan right now. Obviously, Japan is still very new to the MBA culture and a country where English is not native.
Their MBAs don't participate in the FT ranking so far.

Let me know what you think.

by edic888 » Mon Dec 12, 2016 9:53 pm
Hello,

I'd like to offer some insights. To start with, I am currently pursuing my MBA in Tokyo, Japan.

I wont mention the name of my MBA to avoid sounding like a promotion.

If you wish to guide people toward Japan, now is the time.

First, you're right about MBA being new to Japan. However, the importance is gaining ground fast. They don't focus on GMAT much due to the fact that English is not very popular. However, Japanese companies are extremely geared toward globalization so MBA see diversity as the most important aspect of an MBA program. My MBA program is made up of 60 and over 3 quarters are international. Nevertheless, do not be fooled about their relaxed approach to GMAT. The programs extremely rigorous. All teaching materials used are made up of Harvard Business School materials and methodology, "case method." The pace is simply brutal. You have to have solid academic stamina to keep up with the classes.

My MBA will be gaining its AACSB accreditation in the near future and is aggressively seeking a position in the FT ranking, which signal to the seriousness of Japanese schools toward MBA. In addition, being a business business school as a part of big university, it is building a massive network with top universities and business schools around the world.

In conclusion, I'd advise you to guide students based on their background, whether they'll contribute to the diversity and richness of the student body, and their academic stamina; programs here are no joke.

Japan is in a really interesting transitional period. The country is finally coming out of its shell and taking globalization as an initiative to gain its former power within the global economy. An interesting fact is that, with the Olympics 2020 coming up, Japan is arming up its population and corporate culture to face the world. And MBA programs will play a vital tool in that.

Hope this helps!

Please let me know if you more information.

Cheers!

by MBA in Japan » Tue Dec 13, 2016 2:55 am
Many thanks for this very valuable comment. Although Japan doesn't focus on the GMAT, I do agree that they know how to work :) and are "brutal". Definitely for me, Japan offers one of the best MBA ROI (low tuition fee, nearly sure employment post graduation) especially that they have a very low unemployment rate and as you said Olympics will required a lot of skilled workers.

by priyankasrdhrn » Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:10 pm
edic888 wrote:Hello,

I'd like to offer some insights. To start with, I am currently pursuing my MBA in Tokyo, Japan.

I wont mention the name of my MBA to avoid sounding like a promotion.

If you wish to guide people toward Japan, now is the time.

First, you're right about MBA being new to Japan. However, the importance is gaining ground fast. They don't focus on GMAT much due to the fact that English is not very popular. However, Japanese companies are extremely geared toward globalization so MBA see diversity as the most important aspect of an MBA program. My MBA program is made up of 60 and over 3 quarters are international. Nevertheless, do not be fooled about their relaxed approach to GMAT. The programs extremely rigorous. All teaching materials used are made up of Harvard Business School materials and methodology, "case method." The pace is simply brutal. You have to have solid academic stamina to keep up with the classes.

My MBA will be gaining its AACSB accreditation in the near future and is aggressively seeking a position in the FT ranking, which signal to the seriousness of Japanese schools toward MBA. In addition, being a business business school as a part of big university, it is building a massive network with top universities and business schools around the world.

In conclusion, I'd advise you to guide students based on their background, whether they'll contribute to the diversity and richness of the student body, and their academic stamina; programs here are no joke.

Japan is in a really interesting transitional period. The country is finally coming out of its shell and taking globalization as an initiative to gain its former power within the global economy. An interesting fact is that, with the Olympics 2020 coming up, Japan is arming up its population and corporate culture to face the world. And MBA programs will play a vital tool in that.

Hope this helps!

Please let me know if you more information.

Cheers!
Hi,
May I know which university you are studying in? I am interested in doing MBA in Japan but have heard quite a few negative remarks about it. How is the job situation post MBA for foreigners?
Also, could you shed some light on Doshisha or Waseda's MBA program?

by edic888 » Wed Aug 09, 2017 2:56 am
I am studying at Hitotsubashi Graduate School of International Corporate Strategy.

To me, it was more of an entrepreneurial school with heavy emphasize on strategy formulation equipped modern and emerging business trends (for example, digital disruption).

In terms of experience, it changed my life. For personal and professional growth, it was the biggest and best decision I ever made.

Career wise, I am entrepreneur so I didn't go through career services process. But I heard, if you don't speak Japanese, it is pretty tough to get a job in Japan. Although, during the program, you will be offered numerous language courses, for internationals, process is pretty tough. However, Japan is changing and many students do get a opportunities, internships and jobs. Once you get the language up to right level or simply become really valuable in terms of experience and achievements you can bring to the table, Hitotsubashi has relationships with some of the most elite names in the market including BCG, PwC and other boutique names in consulting; and of course, the best names in Japan such as Tokyo Marine Insurance, Ajinomoto, Lawson, etc.

If your main objective is to simply get a job in Japan, invest more into language skills before you even start the MBA in Japan. Getting an MBA at Hitotsubashi is a whole new animal. You'll walk away with pretty much everything on your mind. Only execution will remain upon graduation. Other MBAs in Japan a more technical in nature. Hitotsubashi is the most discussion based; Hitotsubashi ICS uses the Harvard Business School materials and the famous "case method" as most of the professors there went through it. Most professors there are from Harvard, UC Berkley, Carnegie, Hitotsubashi, etc

So anyways, my point is don't do an MBA, especially a Hitotsubashi MBA, just for a job. Do it to grow, do it to go beyond office jobs, do it redefine yourself. You won't look at jobs the same way anymore afterwards anyways!

Good Luck!