Score not moving an inch

This forum is dedicated to our GMAT Avengers study group. Connect with fellow test takers and stay up-to-date with the latest Avengers' news. Experts are free to contribute in answering questions.
This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:2 members

Score not moving an inch

by melguy » Sat Nov 26, 2016 2:06 am
Hello All

I am actually looking for some advice to improve my score. I am consistently scoring 560 - 570 (Q39 and V28) and need a score of 630-650.

Quant: In my Quant section I am consistently scoring 39 and working to fix some timing / approach issues so I can get more questions correct. During the review I noticed that I got 7 - 8 questions incorrect which I easily got correct when doing review. I am hoping to reach 42 or more on my Quant to hit my target score. I would appreciate if anyone can give me some quick tips on Quant.

Verbal: I am not joking when I say that i think GMAC should give me the copyright and ownership for Verbal Score 28. Whether I study with any resource for a year or do not touch Verbal at all I always get 28 only. I really need to move the score mid 30's in Verbal if I wish to hit my target score. I get even more confused reading from different sources but there is no change in the verbal score. Its stuck at 28.

Looking forward for some tips. My exam is ~12 Jan 2017 and target score is 630 - 650.

I am looking to get a video course in 3-4 days but apart from that what should I do as I cannot seem any improvement especially in Verbal.

Thanks
Last edited by melguy on Sat Nov 26, 2016 11:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Legendary Member
Followed by:140 members
GMAT Score:800

by MartyMurray » Sat Nov 26, 2016 7:32 am
Hi melguy.

I think that likely what is going on with your verbal performance is that you are learning ABOUT GMAT verbal more than you are learning HOW TO GET RIGHT ANSWERS to GMAT verbal questions.

Other than knowing a few dozen sentence construction rules and conventions, what one really needs for getting right answers to verbal questions are VISION - in other words you need to see key details and other aspect of what is going on in the questions - and skill in using logic to work your way to right answers.

As a matter of fact, I bet that you could not learn much more about GMAT verbal and still drive your verbal score into the 40's by getting better at seeing what you have to see and using logic to work your way to right answers.

So I say slow way down in your verbal practice and spend time learning to see key details and to do what it takes to use what you see to get to right answers consistently.
Marty Murray
Perfect Scoring Tutor With Over a Decade of Experience
MartyMurrayCoaching.com
Contact me at [email protected] for a free consultation.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Sat Nov 26, 2016 8:23 pm
Hi melguy,

We've talked about the varied benefits of learning Tactics (and in learning to 'see' the Test in a new way), but there could be other factors impacting your performance that you haven't thought about. If what you say is true - that your overall score results are THAT consistent - then what happens when you change one of the 'variables' around how you take your CATs? Would taking your CATs in a different location or at a different time of day impact your performance? How about if you took the CAT on a different day of the week? What if you ate a different breakfast or did something different during your two 8-minute breaks? This is all meant to say that there are a variety of factors that will impact your performance on the GMAT - and many of them are NOT 'mental.'

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:2 members

by melguy » Sat Nov 26, 2016 11:25 pm
Hi Rich

I actually did follow your previous advice and after my 1st attempt I took the exam in unfamiliar environment. The last CAT full length CAT I gave was on 25 Nov 2016 (Veritas Prep) and scored 560 Q39 V28.

Slowly and steadily I am seeing some improvement in Quant (but still have to do a lot of work on my approach and time management). I got many questions wrong which I could have done correctly. So I am hoping 7-8 more correct questions should bring my score into 40's in Quant.

Verbal is stuck at 28 regardless of what I do so am reading Manhattan SC and will take a video course starting day after tomorrow (travelling for the next two days).

Thanks

Legendary Member
Followed by:128 members
GMAT Score:770

by DavidG@VeritasPrep » Sun Nov 27, 2016 2:39 pm
melguy wrote:Hi Rich

I actually did follow your previous advice and after my 1st attempt I took the exam in unfamiliar environment. The last CAT full length CAT I gave was on 25 Nov 2016 (Veritas Prep) and scored 560 Q39 V28.

Slowly and steadily I am seeing some improvement in Quant (but still have to do a lot of work on my approach and time management). I got many questions wrong which I could have done correctly. So I am hoping 7-8 more correct questions should bring my score into 40's in Quant.

Verbal is stuck at 28 regardless of what I do so am reading Manhattan SC and will take a video course starting day after tomorrow (travelling for the next two days).

Thanks
Here's my verbal crash course to break through a plateau:

- Read voraciously everyday for two weeks. (Anything challenging will do.) There's research suggesting that the physiology of our brains changes when we read more: https://www.theatlantic.com/education/ar ... in/282952/

- Consider incorporating some mindfulness meditation. https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archi ... on/275564/

Afterwards, review the official material you've worked through and see if there are patterns to the questions you've missed. Anything unclear, post here. Jot a few notes to yourself about simple adjustments you can make. Remember that for all the strategies/grammar rules we teach, the verbal section is primarily about logic and focus. Practice boiling everything down to its essence. Always ask yourself, before you select an answer in sentence correction, if the sentence, when read literally, is clear and logical. Before you select an answer in Critical Reasoning always take another moment and ask if your answer really does impact the conclusion. Before you select an answer in Reading Comp ask yourself if there's textual support for that answer. Be relentless. Then hit some fresh official tests: https://www.mba.com/us/store/store-catal ... ack-1.aspx
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor

Veritas Prep Reviews
Save $100 off any live Veritas Prep GMAT Course