Expected score, Test within a week!

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
GMAT Score:650

Expected score, Test within a week!

by VijayBS » Thu Nov 17, 2016 3:47 am
Hello everyone,

I've been following these forums for a while now and this is my first post. I am taking the GMAT in less than a week from now.
I have been studying for 4 months and I have taken 5 MGMAT CATs with an almost identical scores:

Mgmat 1:
IR 3
Quant:45
Verbal: 36
Total 670

Mgmat 2:
IR 3
Verbal: 32
Total 630

Mgmat 3:
IR 3
Quant:41
Verbal: 34
Total 620

Mgmat 4:
IR 2
Total 670

Mgmat 5:
IR 5
Verbal: 35
Total 660

My goal is to score at least 650 on the official test and my "dream score" would be 700, although i believe the latter is highly unlikely.

My question is, whether you think it is doable? Also what score breakdown can I expect?

I am planning to apply to UBC Sauder for the MBA 2017 program.

Thank you,
Vijay
Regards,
Vijay

Legendary Member
Followed by:128 members
GMAT Score:770

by DavidG@VeritasPrep » Thu Nov 17, 2016 5:03 am
VijayBS wrote:Hello everyone,

I've been following these forums for a while now and this is my first post. I am taking the GMAT in less than a week from now.
I have been studying for 4 months and I have taken 5 MGMAT CATs with an almost identical scores:

Mgmat 1:
IR 3
Total 670

Mgmat 2:
IR 3
Verbal: 32
Total 630

Mgmat 3:
IR 3
Quant:41
Verbal: 34
Total 620

Mgmat 4:
IR 2
Total 670

Mgmat 5:
IR 5
Verbal: 35
Total 660

My goal is to score at least 650 on the official test and my "dream score" would be 700, although i believe the latter is highly unlikely.

My question is, whether you think it is doable? Also what score breakdown can I expect?

I am planning to apply to UBC Sauder for the MBA 2017 program.

Thank you,
Vijay
Very doable. A small strategic tweak here or there can have a fairly dramatic effect. My advice: review the practice tests you've already done. Make notes to yourself about what you could improve, with a goal of deriving 3-4 concrete takeaways. Maybe you could have picked simple numbers on some questions rather than doing complex algebra. Maybe in Sentence Correction you can be more conscious about logical meaning or parallel construction. Meditate on these adjustments. Then take one last practice test, but make it one of the GMATPrep tests from mba.com. Apply the same process to that final test, then post any questions you have here.
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor

Veritas Prep Reviews
Save $100 off any live Veritas Prep GMAT Course

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1268 members
GMAT Score:770

by Brent@GMATPrepNow » Thu Nov 17, 2016 5:13 am
You might want to take an official practice test (https://www.mba.com/the-gmat/download-fr ... tware.aspx). They're the most reliable indicator of your abilities.

Cheers,
Brent
Brent Hanneson - Creator of GMATPrepNow.com

by VijayBS » Thu Nov 17, 2016 5:52 am
Thank you David and Brent. I will take a test on MBA.com as suggested. Hopefully I will get my desired score on the actual GMAT.

Regards,
Vijay
Regards,
Vijay

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:29 members

by Scott@TargetTestPrep » Fri Nov 18, 2016 7:31 am
Hi VijayBS.

Based on the scores from your practice exams, you probably can achieve a 650 on your upcoming GMAT. Also, I agree with Brent; it may be useful to take a full practice exam from MBA.com since those exams have an accurate scoring algorithm and contain retired questions from past GMAT exams. Take the exam under realistic conditions (e.g. in a quiet environment, no extended breaks). Once you complete that exam feel free to report back with your score breakdown and we can provide some further advice.

Also you may find it helpful to read an article of mine that provides some detailed advice on how to spend your final week leading up to your GMAT.

Scott Woodbury-Stewart
Founder and CEO
[email protected]

See why Target Test Prep is rated 5 out of 5 stars on BEAT the GMAT. Read our reviews

ImageImage

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Fri Nov 18, 2016 12:15 pm
Hi Vijay,

In these last few days, you might be tempted to do too much studying (re: cramming) - and that is NOT a good idea. Some light practice and review is fine, but you would likely be better served by getting some extra rest and going into Test Day with a clear head (and ready to work).

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

Legendary Member
Followed by:140 members
GMAT Score:800

Re: Expected score

by MartyMurray » Fri Nov 18, 2016 8:34 pm
Hi Vijay.

If you go over your practice tests, likely you can see certain key things that you can use to make sure that you score near the high end of your range and to increase the likelihood of your scoring higher than you have so far.

One thing you could assess is what types of questions you have been missing when you scored in the low end of your range. Whether they are certain types of quant questions, for instance exponents questions, or certain types of verbal questions, perhaps boldface Critical Reasoning questions, you could work on find those types and over the next few days work on them specifically.

Another thing that you could do is look for any patterns to your missed questions. Many people tend to miss questions in groups, as they get flustered by one question and allow that experience to affect the way they work on the next few questions. Others start off slowly, missing questions in the beginning of a section as they warm up. If you find any such patterns, you can use your awareness of them as the basis for adjusting what you do and thus maximize your performance.

On test day, there are some things you can do.

One is to warm up before you go into the test center. By doing some practice questions before you head in, you can get yourself into question answering mode. Doing this can make a big difference by reminding you of what it takes to get right answers and helping you to start off strong.

Another is making sure to go HARD to the end of the verbal section. It's easy to start slacking off as you approach the finish. Don't. The verbal section is your last section and I have seen level of intensity on verbal make differences of 5 points or more in people's scores on the section.

Overall, if you want to score high, don't mess around. Be super intense and super careful. Noticing key details is so important.

When you take that GMAT Prep practice test, see just how high you can score by being careful and determined to get right answers. Then take the same attitude when you take the real thing.
Last edited by MartyMurray on Tue Aug 18, 2020 7:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Marty Murray
Perfect Scoring Tutor With Over a Decade of Experience
MartyMurrayCoaching.com
Contact me at [email protected] for a free consultation.

by VijayBS » Thu Nov 24, 2016 10:10 am
Hi all,

Thank you so much for your help and the boost of confidence that you gave..!!

I gave my GMAT yesterday and got a 650.
Quant-44
Verbal-35

Missed 5 questions in Quant but I guess no point crying over spilt milk!!

Once again Thank you!

Regards,
Vijay
Regards,
Vijay