Sentence Correction OG13

This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

Sentence Correction OG13

by trgtgmat2013 » Tue Nov 15, 2016 8:48 am
El Nino, the periodic abnormal warming of the sea surface off Peru, a phenomenon in which changes in the ocean and atmosphere combine allowing the warm water that has accumulated in the western Pacific to flow back to the east.

A) a phenomenon in which changes in the ocean and atmosphere combine allowing the warm water that has accumulated
(B) a phenomenon where changes in the ocean and atmosphere are combining to allow the warm water that is accumulating
(C) a phenomenon in which ocean and atmosphere changes combine and which allows the warm water that is accumulated
(D) is a phenomenon in which changes in the ocean and atmosphere combine to allow the warm water that has accumulated
(E) is a phenomenon where ocean and atmosphere changes are combining and allow the warm water accumulating

Can someone explain the solution for this question? Also why is option A wrong??

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Last edited by trgtgmat2013 on Wed Nov 16, 2016 6:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:247 members

by ceilidh.erickson » Tue Nov 15, 2016 3:36 pm
I'd be happy to answer your questions, but could you please re-post them in separate threads? The convention is one OG problem per thread, so that people can more easily search and follow discussions.
Ceilidh Erickson
EdM in Mind, Brain, and Education
Harvard Graduate School of Education

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Thu Nov 17, 2016 3:08 pm
trgtgmat2013 wrote:El Nino, the periodic abnormal warming of the sea surface off Peru, a phenomenon in which changes in the ocean and atmosphere combine allowing the warm water that has accumulated in the western Pacific to flow back to the east.

A) a phenomenon in which changes in the ocean and atmosphere combine allowing the warm water that has accumulated
(B) a phenomenon where changes in the ocean and atmosphere are combining to allow the warm water that is accumulating
(C) a phenomenon in which ocean and atmosphere changes combine and which allows the warm water that is accumulated
(D) is a phenomenon in which changes in the ocean and atmosphere combine to allow the warm water that has accumulated
(E) is a phenomenon where ocean and atmosphere changes are combining and allow the warm water accumulating
In A, B and C, El Nino (subject) lacks a verb.
Eliminate A, B and C.

where must serve to refer to a PHYSICAL PLACE.
In E, where incorrectly serves to refer to a phenomenon, which is not a physical place.
Eliminate E.

The correct answer is D.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3