Pre-Interview Etiquette

Share tips as you apply, write essays, interview...
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

Pre-Interview Etiquette

by MBA23 » Wed Oct 26, 2016 2:44 pm
I have an interview scheduled for next month. I am curious about normal etiquette before the interview.

I met my interviewer at an event in NYC and was in contact with her afterwards. After getting an invite, I decided it would be a good idea to schedule my interview with her.

Would it be unreasonable to contact her before the interview? I would like to keep the lines of conversation open as I prep. for the interview.

Thanks so much.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:11 members

by Donna@Stratus » Thu Oct 27, 2016 1:06 pm
MBA23 wrote:I have an interview scheduled for next month. I am curious about normal etiquette before the interview.
As a former adcom member, I'd be very careful about trying to do much "pre-networking" for the interview... They want to interview you- that's a great sign! But adcom members are very busy this time of year and I don't see much good that could come from trying to possibly "butter up" adcom prior to interview. Certainly you can mention at interview that you enjoyed meeting her at NYC event- but unless you have new news... like a new promotion or something new to add, I'd be careful about just getting in touch.... Remember this is all an evaluation process and you are not really in a chit-chat mode right now...

JUst my 2 cents of things to keep in mind- but congrats on the interview and certainly do your homework to learn more about your interviewer so you can ask insightful questions! Best of luck to you!!

I met my interviewer at an event in NYC and was in contact with her afterwards. After getting an invite, I decided it would be a good idea to schedule my interview with her.

Would it be unreasonable to contact her before the interview? I would like to keep the lines of conversation open as I prep. for the interview.

Thanks so much.

by uniq01 » Thu Oct 27, 2016 5:19 pm
MBA23,

I would offer similar advice. Unless there is something pressing, avoid trying to touch base with your interviewer prior to the scheduled interview. The last thing you want to do is come across as too forceful or desperate; it could also erroneously be interpreted as a lack of confidence. Spend your time learning more about the school so you can clearly articulate why you feel it's a good fit for you during the interview. Also have some powerful questions prepared ahead of time.

Good luck!
uniqMBA Admissions Consulting
https://www.uniqmba.com
Follow @uniqmba

Contact us for a free initial consultation!

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:3 members

by Edison@VeritasPrep » Fri Oct 28, 2016 2:44 am
Agree with the above advices.

Better to research about the school and add to the substance you can discuss during the interview rather than coming off as trying to unduly influence the interview process with being overly friendly prior to the interview. You can mention that you enjoyed meeting her on the day of the interview.

Congratulations and getting the invitation, and wish you all the best!
Veritas Prep | Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant

Find the expert who's right for you. Meet our team!
Register for a free MBA Admissions Workshop!

by MBA23 » Thu Nov 10, 2016 1:38 pm
Hi,

Thanks for the responses everyone.

@Donna - If you have the time, what do you mean by "learn more about your interviewer"?

Thanks again.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:11 members

by Donna@Stratus » Fri Nov 11, 2016 2:55 pm
MBA23 wrote:Hi,

Thanks for the responses everyone.

@Donna - If you have the time, what do you mean by "learn more about your interviewer"?

Thanks again.
Hi MBA23, I mean that you can look up your interviewer on LinkedIn and know something of their background and then ask a question that makes sense for that background or just show that you did your homework- if they have a cause or a hobby- might be good to mention this in the small talk part of interview to build rapport. Would not worry too much about this but that's what I mean by learn more about your interviewer- with Linked In it has never been easier to find out the basics of someone's background or there may be a bio page on the adcom website that gives you more insight about your interviewer. All these things can only help you to be more prepared- but be careful not to seem like you are stalking the person! The most important thing is to tell YOUR story well- to whoever interviews you!