Use of If/Whether

This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

Use of If/Whether

by baalok88 » Mon Oct 24, 2016 4:11 pm
With productivity slowing substantially in recent years, questions have re-emerged about [u]whether computer technology can power economic growth like the steam engine and the printing press.[/u]

A.whether computer technology can power economic growth like the steam engine and the printing press

B. whether technology can power economic growth as the steam engine and the printing press do

C. if computer technology can power economic growth as the steam engine and the internal combustion engine of the past do

D. whether computer technology can power economic growth the way the steam engine and the printing press did

E. if computer technology can power economic growth like the way the steam engine and the printing press did

[color=red]In the above question[/color], I applied the rule that when there's a choice use 'whether' and when there's a condition, use 'if'. Apparently the answer 'E' is wrong. can you explain?

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Tue Oct 25, 2016 2:38 am
baalok88 wrote:With productivity slowing substantially in recent years, questions have re-emerged about whether computer technology can power economic growth like the steam engine and the printing press.

A.whether computer technology can power economic growth like the steam engine and the printing press

B. whether technology can power economic growth as the steam engine and the printing press do

C. if computer technology can power economic growth as the steam engine and the internal combustion engine of the past do

D. whether computer technology can power economic growth the way the steam engine and the printing press did

E. if computer technology can power economic growth like the way the steam engine and the printing press did
if serves to introduce a CONDITION.
whether serves to introduce ALTERNATIVES.
The SC above is discussing two alternatives:
Computer technology CAN power economic growth.
or
Computer technology CANNOT power economic growth.
Thus, the usage of if in C and E is inappropriate.
Eliminate C and E.

A: growth like the steam engine
Here, the usage of like seem to convey that growth is SIMILAR TO the steam engine.
This meaning is nonsensical.
Eliminate A.

B: can power economic growth as the steam engine and printing press do
Here, do is standing in for the simple present form of the antecedent verb power.
Conveyed meaning:
can power economic growth as the steam engine and printing press power economic growth.
The implication is that the steam engine and printing press CURRENTLY power economic growth.
Since the steam engine and printing press are no longer in use, this meaning is nonsensical.
Eliminate B.

The correct answer is D.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:4 members

by hazelnut01 » Tue Apr 04, 2017 3:56 pm
baalok88 wrote:With productivity slowing substantially in recent years, questions have re-emerged about whether computer technology can power economic growth like the steam engine and the printing press.

OFFICIAL EXPLANATION

Solution: D

Explanation: The end of this sentence needs to logically convey whether computer technology can power economic growth in the same way that the steam engine and the printing press used to power economic growth when they were important. (A), (B), and (C) all compare computer technology to the PRESENT impact of the steam engine and the printing press on economic growth - clearly illogical as those have no impact today on economic growth today. (D) and (E) make the proper comparison between computer technology today and the steam engine and printing press in the past. (E) is wrong, however, because of the redundant and incorrect structure "like the way" and the incorrect conditional "if" that starts the clause. (D) uses the correct "whether" and makes a logical and proper comparison.