OGVR 2017 The nephew of Pliny the Elder wrote the only eyewi

This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member
Followed by:26 members
GMAT Score:740
The nephew of Pliny the Elder wrote the only eyewitness account of the great eruption of Vesuvius in the two letters to the historian Tacitus.

(A) The nephew of Pliny the Elder wrote the only eyewitness account of the great eruption of Vesuvius in the two letters to the historian Tacitus
(B) To the historian Tacitus, the nephew of Pliny the Elder wrote two letters, being the only eyewitness accounts of the great eruption of Vesuvius.
(C) The only eyewitness account is in two letters by the nephew of Pliny the Elder writing to the historian an account of the great eruption of Vesuvius.
(D) Writing the only eyewitness account, Pliny the Elder's nephew accounted for the great eruption of Vesuvius in two letters to the historian Tacitus.
(E) In two letters to the historian Tacitus, the nephew of Pliny the Elder wrote the only eyewitness account of the great eruption of Vesuvius.
Last edited by richachampion on Wed Sep 07, 2016 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
R I C H A,
My GMAT Journey: 470 → 720 → 740
Target Score: 760+
[email protected]
1. Press thanks if you like my solution.
2. Contact me if you are not improving. (No Free Lunch!)

Legendary Member

by richachampion » Wed Sep 07, 2016 12:41 am
OFFICIAL ANSWER: E
R I C H A,
[email protected]

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by gocoder » Wed Sep 07, 2016 6:43 am
Not sure how a choice with " greater eruption" be an answer.bit perplexed to what is being compared

Legendary Member

by richachampion » Wed Sep 07, 2016 7:06 am
gocoder wrote:Not sure how a choice with " greater eruption" be an answer.bit perplexed to what is being compared
In two letters to the historian Tacitus � Prepositional phrase followed by a comma � Modifies the whole action = wrote the only eyewitness account of the greater eruption of Vesuvius.
R I C H A,
[email protected]

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by Cthulu » Wed Sep 07, 2016 7:54 pm
I think there was a typo....should be "great" instead of "greater" in option E since there is no real comparison going on.

Legendary Member

by richachampion » Wed Sep 07, 2016 9:18 pm
Cthulu wrote:I think there was a typo....should be "great" instead of "greater" in option E since there is no real comparison going on.
Corrected!
R I C H A,
[email protected]

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:7 members

by fiza gupta » Sun Oct 23, 2016 10:06 am
The nephew of Pliny the Elder wrote the only eyewitness account of the great eruption of Vesuvius in the two letters to the historian Tacitus.

clause + COMMA +"preposition phrase"
then the preposition phrase will act as a adverbial modifier.

(A) The nephew of Pliny the Elder wrote the only eyewitness account of the great eruption of Vesuvius in the two letters to the historian Tacitus
bold phase is acting as adjective modifier and indicate that eruption occur in the letter - incorrect

(B) To the historian Tacitus, the nephew of Pliny the Elder wrote two letters, being the only eyewitness accounts of the great eruption of Vesuvius.
being is modifying nephew; intended meaning is not clear

(C) The only eyewitness account is in two letters by the nephew of Pliny the Elder writing to the historian an account of the great eruption of Vesuvius.

(D) Writing the only eyewitness account, Pliny the Elder's nephew accounted for the great eruption of Vesuvius in two letters to the historian Tacitus.
accounted for : cause of
nephew was not the cause of eruptions

(E) In two letters to the historian Tacitus, the nephew of Pliny the Elder wrote the only eyewitness account of the great eruption of Vesuvius.
clear and concise
Fiza Gupta