Exam Pack 1 Question #2

This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member
Followed by:26 members
GMAT Score:740

Exam Pack 1 Question #2

by richachampion » Sat Oct 22, 2016 12:06 am
Responding to the public's fascination with-and sometimes undue alarm over-possible threats from asteroids, a scale developed by astronomers rates the likelihood that a particular asteroid or comet may collide with Earth.

A. a scale developed by astronomers rates the likelihood that a particular asteroid or comet may
B. a scale that astronomers have developed rates how likely it is for a particular asteroid or comet to
C. astronomers have developed a scale to rate how likely a particular asteroid or comet will be to
D. astronomers have developed a scale for rating the likelihood that a particular asteroid or comet will
E. astronomers have developed a scale that rates the likelihood of a particular asteroid or comet that may
R I C H A,
My GMAT Journey: 470 → 720 → 740
Target Score: 760+
[email protected]
1. Press thanks if you like my solution.
2. Contact me if you are not improving. (No Free Lunch!)

Legendary Member

by richachampion » Sat Oct 22, 2016 12:08 am
OA: D
R I C H A,
[email protected]

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:7 members

by fiza gupta » Sat Oct 22, 2016 12:59 am
down to C and D but market option C.

experts pl help:Why D is better than C?
Fiza Gupta

Legendary Member

by richachampion » Sat Oct 22, 2016 1:08 am
fiza gupta wrote:down to C and D but market option C.

experts pl help:Why D is better than C?
I have some notes from Ron Purewals discussion, I can share those with you. But waiting for experts to Chime in.

Mr. Purewal's Staunch Opinion-

In choosing between C and D, first consider the intended meaning. We're interested in the current likelihood that the comet/asteroid will strike Earth in the future.

In other words, How likely is it NOW that a comet/asteroid WILL STRIKE Earth?

This distinction comes into play when you look at the verbs in C and D. Different verbs.

C mentions "how likely a comet/asteroid will be". Nope. The likelihood is something that exists now, not in the future. (That's the definition of "likelihood": How probable does this event seem right now?
There's no "future likelihood" here. In the future, the event either happens or doesn't happen.)

D mentions the likelihood (as measured at present) that a comet/asteroid will collide (in the future) with Earth. That makes sense.

Furthermore,

The last choice refers to "the likelihood of an asteroid or comet". That doesn't make sense; a physical object doesn't have a "likelihood". We can only talk about the likelihood that something will happen.

'to rate' would be more appropriate for an action that helps the astronomers toward their goal (e.g., To rate the likelihood that asteroids will XXXX, astronomers are measuring their current trajectories with exquisite precision.)

in any case, that's not the major problem with choice C. the major problem with choice C is that likelihood is a PRESENT thing, so 'will be' is inapposite.
i.e., the question the astronomers are trying to answer is "How likely is this asteroid to eventually strike Earth?" that's the probability at present.
This distinction comes into play when you look at the verbs in C and D. Different verbs.
But honestly I am unable to fully grasp the explanation given by Mr. Purewal as both the competing option has "WILL" as a verb. I am unable to distinguish the difference that verbs are creating.

P.S. I would appreciate the staunch discussion on the Idioms of "rate" such as "to rate", "for rating"
R I C H A,
[email protected]

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Sat Oct 22, 2016 2:53 am
Check my two posts here:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/gmat-prep-ex ... 82473.html

The split between to rate and for rating is meant to distract us.
Both usages are correct.

C: astronomers have developed a scale to rate the likelihood
Here, to rate is an ADVERB serving to modify have developed.
WHY have astronomers developed a scale?
TO RATE the likelihood.
to rate expresses the INTENT of the astronomers.

D: astronomers have developed a scale for rating the likelihood
Here, for rating is an ADJECTIVE serving to modify a scale.
What KIND of scale?
a scale FOR RATING the likelihood.
for rating expresses the PURPOSE of the scale.

Either meaning seems viable.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3