Question Pack 1 CR Q#4

This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member
Followed by:26 members
GMAT Score:740

Question Pack 1 CR Q#4

by richachampion » Tue Oct 18, 2016 11:20 am
Perkins: According to an article I read, the woolly mammoth's extinction in North America coincided with a migration of humans onto the continent 12,000 years ago, and stone spearheads from this period indicate that these people were hunters. But the author's contention that being hunted by humans contributed to the woolly mammoth's extinction is surely wrong since, as paleontologists know, no spearheads have ever been found among the many mammoth bones that have been unearthed.

Which of the following, if true, provides the strongest reason for discounting the evidence Perkins cites in arguing against the contention that being hunted by humans contributed to the North American extinction of woolly mammoths?

A. At sites where mammoth bones dating from 12,000 years ago have been unearthed, bones of other mammals have rarely been found.

B. The stone from which stone spearheads were made is unlikely to have disintegrated over the course of 12,000 years.

C. Conditions in North America 12,000 years ago were such that humans could not have survived there on a diet that did not include substantial amounts of meat.

D. Cave paintings in North America that date from 12,000 years ago depict woolly mammoths as well as a variety of other animals, including deer and buffalo.

E. Because of the great effort that would have been required to produce each stone spearhead, hunters would have been unlikely to leave them behind.
R I C H A,
My GMAT Journey: 470 → 720 → 740
Target Score: 760+
[email protected]
1. Press thanks if you like my solution.
2. Contact me if you are not improving. (No Free Lunch!)

Legendary Member
Followed by:128 members
GMAT Score:770

by DavidG@VeritasPrep » Tue Oct 18, 2016 1:15 pm
richachampion wrote:Perkins: According to an article I read, the woolly mammoth's extinction in North America coincided with a migration of humans onto the continent 12,000 years ago, and stone spearheads from this period indicate that these people were hunters. But the author's contention that being hunted by humans contributed to the woolly mammoth's extinction is surely wrong since, as paleontologists know, no spearheads have ever been found among the many mammoth bones that have been unearthed.

Which of the following, if true, provides the strongest reason for discounting the evidence Perkins cites in arguing against the contention that being hunted by humans contributed to the North American extinction of woolly mammoths?

A. At sites where mammoth bones dating from 12,000 years ago have been unearthed, bones of other mammals have rarely been found.

B. The stone from which stone spearheads were made is unlikely to have disintegrated over the course of 12,000 years.

C. Conditions in North America 12,000 years ago were such that humans could not have survived there on a diet that did not include substantial amounts of meat.

D. Cave paintings in North America that date from 12,000 years ago depict woolly mammoths as well as a variety of other animals, including deer and buffalo.

E. Because of the great effort that would have been required to produce each stone spearhead, hunters would have been unlikely to leave them behind.
Conclusion: humans not responsible for the extinction of the mammoth.
Premise: no spearheads have ever been found among mammoth bones

We're trying to discount this evidence (and show how humans may have been responsible for the death of the mammoth despite the absence of spear heads in the mammoth bones.) Put another way, imagine the humans did, in fact, hunt the mammoth to extinction. Why might there be no evidence of spear heads with the bones? E gives us exactly this. If the humans retrieved their spears after killing the mammoths, the spear heads wouldn't have been found with the bones.
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor

Veritas Prep Reviews
Save $100 off any live Veritas Prep GMAT Course