Machines A and B each produce tablets

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

Machines A and B each produce tablets

by Needgmat » Sat Oct 15, 2016 10:34 pm
Machines A and B each produce tablets at their respective constant rates. Machine A has produced 30 tablets when Machine B is turned on. Both machines continue to run until Machine B's total production catches up to Machine A's total production. How many tablets does Machine A produce in the time that it takes Machine B to catch up?

(1) Machine A's rate is twice the difference between the rates of the two machines.

(2) The sum of Machine A's rate and Machine B's rate is five times the difference between the two rates.

OAE

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Sat Oct 15, 2016 11:28 pm
The correct answer is not E but D.
Check my two posts here:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/machines-a-a ... 90000.html
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:34 members

by Jay@ManhattanReview » Thu Dec 29, 2016 1:31 am
Needgmat wrote:Machines A and B each produce tablets at their respective constant rates. Machine A has produced 30 tablets when Machine B is turned on. Both machines continue to run until Machine B's total production catches up to Machine A's total production. How many tablets does Machine A produce in the time that it takes Machine B to catch up?

(1) Machine A's rate is twice the difference between the rates of the two machines.

(2) The sum of Machine A's rate and Machine B's rate is five times the difference between the two rates.

OAE
Say machine A and machine B, each produces x units. Thus, when machine B runs, machine A produces (x - 30) units.

S1: Say the rate of machine A = r, and the rate of machine B = R

Since machine B catches the production of machine A, it implies that R > r.

As per the statement: Machine A's rate is twice the difference between the rates of the two machines, r = 2(R - r); since the difference should be positive, we must take it as (R - r) as R > r.

r = 2(R - r) => R = 3r/2

We know that the time machine A runs equals to that machine B runs.

=> (x-30)/r = x/R

=> (x-30)/r = 2x/3r; replaing the value of R =3r/2

=> 3x-90 = 2x => x =90. Thus machine A produces 90-30 = 60 tablets. A unique answer. Sufficient.

S2: The sum of Machine A's rate and Machine B's rate is five times the difference between the two rates.

=> r+R=5(R-r)

=> R=3r/2; it is the same relationship, we derived for S1, thus S2 itself is also sufficient.

OA: D

-Jay

Locations: New York | Vienna | Kuala Lumpur | Sydney | and many more...

Schedule your free consultation with an experienced GMAT Prep Advisor! Click here.