Profile evaluation for British applicant please!

Free advice from the world's top MBA consultants
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Hi there,

Could I please get a profile evaluation for my target schools? My stats are as follows:

- 27 year old black British female (parents are immigrants from Ghana)
- Masters (MEng) in Mechanical Engineering from a UK university (it will probably be unknown to adcom in the US haha, but here in the UK it's top 10 for engineering!)
- GPA: 3.45 (assumed conversion based 2:1 degree classification)
- Extracurriculars at uni include mechanical engineering society president, head of engineering school student government and volunteering for a local organisation that helps underprivileged youths apply for university.
- Completed internships while at uni as a business analyst in Shanghai, and as a mechanical engineer for an oil company (think Chevron, Shell etc.)
- Got a 680 in the GMAT, but currently prepping for a retake. It's looking like I could get a 720 from practice tests.
- Work as a mechanical engineer for an multinational engineering company within their oil and gas division (eg. KBR, AECOM, Jacobs Engineering)
- Will have 5 years work experience upon matriculation, I've had 2 promotions.
- Chair of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers (IMechE) young members network for my region, where I organise events to promote mechanical engineering to school children and give job search related advice to university students. Also heavily involved in promoting STEM to women and minorities. Was awarded Young Mechanical Engineer of the Year by the IMechE for my efforts.
- My goal is to start my own clean energy tech company which has a supportive environment for women and working mothers - not only being successful in terms of revenues but also helping to turn the "old boys club" culture of engineering/energy on it's head!

I'm interested in applying to MIT Sloan, Yale SOM, Berkeley Haas, LBS, Cambridge Judge and Oxford Said.

If you could please assess my chances that would be great!

Cheers

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:3 members

by Edison@VeritasPrep » Tue Oct 11, 2016 4:46 pm
Thanks for sharing.

You have an interesting profile from your background to your work experience in China in the Oil & Gas industry. You will bring the element of diversity and unique perspectives. You also have a good track record of leadership and extracurricular activities.

Boosting your GMAT score would help. More importantly, you would need to show how achievable your post-MBA goals are, sharing some key experiences or achievements that would make the goal of starting a clean tech energy company that is supportive to working mothers successful. You may also use this to identify how the specifics in your target MBA program would help.

Alternatively, you could present a more achievable short-term goal that would build up your skills, experience, and network towards your long-term goal.

All the best!
Veritas Prep | Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant

Find the expert who's right for you. Meet our team!
Register for a free MBA Admissions Workshop!

by randomtitle » Tue Oct 11, 2016 11:14 pm
Thanks Edison, I really appreciate the feedback.

You're right, I got a little carried away there and didn't specify that I had presented my long term goal. Immediately post mba I would like a role in general management or on the rotational leadership program for the renewable energy division of a company like GE or Siemens.

Pending an improved GMAT score and being able to articulate my career goals more clearly, do you think that MIT and Yale are within reach? They are my top 2 choices, but I'm really not sure how realistic they are.

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:3 members

by Edison@VeritasPrep » Tue Oct 11, 2016 11:52 pm
If you are able to execute the applications well and show fit, I believe you applying to these very selective, top programs is worth a try.

Wish you all the best!
Veritas Prep | Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant

Find the expert who's right for you. Meet our team!
Register for a free MBA Admissions Workshop!

GMAT/MBA Expert

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:11 members

by Alexbr@ClearAdmit » Wed Oct 12, 2016 3:19 am
I would agree, I think your target schools are well within reach, assuming good execution on your applications, and a 720 on the GMAT. Your STG is good. I would focus your LTG on the clean energy biz (which is cool and very important for our future), rather than go into the detail of making it a business that will reshape the workplace for women. cheers, alex
New Book! Becoming a Clear Admit: The Definitive Guide to MBA Admissions. https://www.clearadmit.com/products/admi ... dmissions/

GMAT/MBA Expert

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:11 members

by Donna@Stratus » Wed Oct 12, 2016 9:08 am
randomtitle wrote:Hi there,

Could I please get a profile evaluation for my target schools? My stats are as follows:

- 27 year old black British female (parents are immigrants from Ghana)
- Masters (MEng) in Mechanical Engineering from a UK university (it will probably be unknown to adcom in the US haha, but here in the UK it's top 10 for engineering!)
- GPA: 3.45 (assumed conversion based 2:1 degree classification)
- Extracurriculars at uni include mechanical engineering society president, head of engineering school student government and volunteering for a local organisation that helps underprivileged youths apply for university.
- Completed internships while at uni as a business analyst in Shanghai, and as a mechanical engineer for an oil company (think Chevron, Shell etc.)
- Got a 680 in the GMAT, but currently prepping for a retake. It's looking like I could get a 720 from practice tests.
- Work as a mechanical engineer for an multinational engineering company within their oil and gas division (eg. KBR, AECOM, Jacobs Engineering)
- Will have 5 years work experience upon matriculation, I've had 2 promotions.
- Chair of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers (IMechE) young members network for my region, where I organise events to promote mechanical engineering to school children and give job search related advice to university students. Also heavily involved in promoting STEM to women and minorities. Was awarded Young Mechanical Engineer of the Year by the IMechE for my efforts.
- My goal is to start my own clean energy tech company which has a supportive environment for women and working mothers - not only being successful in terms of revenues but also helping to turn the "old boys club" culture of engineering/energy on it's head!

I'm interested in applying to MIT Sloan, Yale SOM, Berkeley Haas, LBS, Cambridge Judge and Oxford Said.

If you could please assess my chances that would be great!

Cheers
I think you have excellent odds at many of these programs given your strong work performance and promotions, your solid GMAT and academics and your cross-cultural exposure. The odds of MIT and Haas are so low in general that it is hard to say that it is not a stretch for anyone- but if you put forth a compelling application I can see you getting traction there. Yale I see as even better odds as well as Cambridge and Oxford also being target schools. You might also look at some programs in the Southwest or in Texas such as McCombs and potentially even look for some scholarships from Rice or SMU- would be good to be in a place with strong ties to energy companies.

We'd love to help you develop your profile and present the best applications possible. To get in touch with us for a free consult, go to this link: https://stratusprep.com/free-consult/

by randomtitle » Fri Oct 14, 2016 3:29 am
Thank you all for the feedback!