GMAT Prep Passage 01 | Question # 1

This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member
Followed by:26 members
GMAT Score:740

GMAT Prep Passage 01 | Question # 1

by richachampion » Sun Oct 09, 2016 11:32 pm
Planter-legislators of the post-Civil War southern United States enacted crop lien laws stipulating that those who advanced cash or supplies necessary to plant a crop would receive, as security, a claim, or lien, on the crop produced. In doing so, planters, most of whom were former slaveholders, sought access to credit from merchants and control over nominally free laborers--former slaves freed by the victory of the northern Union over the southern Confederacy in the United States Civil War. They hoped to reassure merchants that despite the emancipation of the slaves, planters would produce crops and pay debts. Planters planned to use their supply credit to control their workers, former slaves who were without money to rent land or buy supplies. Planters imagined continuation of the pre-Civil War economic hierarchy: merchants supplying landlords, landlords supplying laborers, and laborers producing crops from which their scant wages and planters' profits would come, allowing planters to repay advances. Lien laws frequently had unintended consequences, however, thwarting the planter fantasy of mastery without slavery. The newly freed workers, seeking to become self-employed tenant farmers rather than wage laborers, made direct arrangements with merchants for supplies. Lien laws, the centerpiece of a system designed to create a dependent labor force, became the means for workers, with alternative means of supply advances, to escape that dependence.

1. Which of the following best expresses the central idea of the passage?
A. Planters in the post-Civil War southern United States sought to reinstate the institution of slavery.
B. Through their decisions regarding supply credit, merchants controlled post-Civil War agriculture.
C. Lien laws helped to defeat the purpose for which they were originally created.
D. Although slavery had ended, the economic hierarchy changed little in the post-Civil War southern United States.
E. Newly freed workers enacted lien laws to hasten the downfall of the plantation economy.

OA: C

All questions from this passage -
GMAT Prep Passage 01|Quetsion #1
GMAT Prep Passage 01|Quetsion #2
GMAT Prep Passage 01|Quetsion #3
R I C H A,
My GMAT Journey: 470 → 720 → 740
Target Score: 760+
[email protected]
1. Press thanks if you like my solution.
2. Contact me if you are not improving. (No Free Lunch!)

Legendary Member
Followed by:26 members
GMAT Score:740

by richachampion » Mon Oct 10, 2016 12:08 am
A. Planters in the post-Civil War southern United States sought to reinstate the institution of slavery.
I think this is too extreme. They do not sought to reinstate the exact slavery, but an economical hierarchy that existed in the slavery. The two are different things.
B. Through their decisions regarding supply credit, merchants controlled post-Civil War agriculture.
Again too extreme. Passage no where mentions that merchants were interested in creating such slavery; It was the planters who had such intentions.

C. Lien laws helped to defeat the purpose for which they were originally created.
This is the Credited answer.
D. Although slavery had ended, the economic hierarchy changed little in the post-Civil War southern United States.
economic hierarchy actually changed because laborers directly established financial relationship with the merchants and thus they eliminated planters and Landlords system.
E. Newly freed workers enacted lien laws to hasten the downfall of the plantation economy.
OFS

OA: C
R I C H A,
My GMAT Journey: 470 → 720 → 740
Target Score: 760+
[email protected]
1. Press thanks if you like my solution.
2. Contact me if you are not improving. (No Free Lunch!)