GMAT PREP SC

This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

GMAT PREP SC

by vid_800 » Fri Oct 07, 2016 7:45 am
Naked mole rats form colonies of approximately twenty animals, each of which consists of a single reproductive female and workers that defend her.

A. each of which consists
B. with each of them consisting
C. each colony consisting
D. and each of them consist
E. and each colony consisting

What is wrong with the constructions "each of which" or each of them"?

I though the whole clause after comma is acting as noun modifier . Modifying the colony.

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by vid_800 » Fri Oct 07, 2016 10:21 am
@Mitch - Can you please help me on this query?

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Sat Oct 08, 2016 3:27 am
vid_800 wrote:Naked mole rats form colonies of approximately twenty animals, each of which consists of a single reproductive female and workers that defend her.

Generally, each of which and each of them must serve to refer to the NEAREST PRECEDING PLURAL NOUN.

A: twenty animals, each of which consists of a single reproductive female and workers that defend her
Here, the portion in red seems to refer to animals -- the nearest preceding plural noun -- implying that TWENTY ANIMALS consist of a single reproductive female and workers that defend her.
Since the intended meaning is that the COLONIES consist of a single reproductive female and workers that defend her, eliminate A.

B: twenty animals, with each of them consisting of a single reproductive female and workers that defend her
Here, the portion in red seems to refer to animals -- the nearest preceding plural noun -- implying that TWENTY ANIMALS are consisting of a single reproductive female and workers that defend her.
Since the intended meaning is that the COLONIES consist of a single reproductive female and workers that defend her, eliminate B.

In D, each (singular) does not agree with consist (plural).
Eliminate D.

and must serve to connect PARALLEL FORMS.
E: Naked mole rats form...and each colony consisting
Here, the red portion = SUBJECT + VERB, while the blue portion = NOUN + MODIFIER.
Since these colored portions are not parallel forms, eliminate E.

The correct answer is C.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

Legendary Member
Followed by:5 members

by Mo2men » Thu May 04, 2017 11:49 pm
GMATGuruNY wrote:
vid_800 wrote:Naked mole rats form colonies of approximately twenty animals, each of which consists of a single reproductive female and workers that defend her.

Generally, each of which and each of them must serve to refer to the NEAREST PRECEDING PLURAL NOUN.

A: twenty animals, each of which consists of a single reproductive female and workers that defend her
Here, the portion in red seems to refer to animals -- the nearest preceding plural noun -- implying that TWENTY ANIMALS consist of a single reproductive female and workers that defend her.
Since the intended meaning is that the COLONIES consist of a single reproductive female and workers that defend her, eliminate A.

B: twenty animals, with each of them consisting of a single reproductive female and workers that defend her
Here, the portion in red seems to refer to animals -- the nearest preceding plural noun -- implying that TWENTY ANIMALS are consisting of a single reproductive female and workers that defend her.
Since the intended meaning is that the COLONIES consist of a single reproductive female and workers that defend her, eliminate B.

In D, each (singular) does not agree with consist (plural).
Eliminate D.

and must serve to connect PARALLEL FORMS.
E: Naked mole rats form...and each colony consisting
Here, the red portion = SUBJECT + VERB, while the blue portion = NOUN + MODIFIER.
Since these colored portions are not parallel forms, eliminate E.

The correct answer is C.
In OA :C, is the modifier 'each colony consisting' called resumptive modifier?? I assumed that because it repeats a key word.

Thanks

GMAT Instructor

by GMATGuruNY » Fri May 05, 2017 4:58 am
Mo2men wrote:In OA :C, is the modifier 'each colony consisting' called resumptive modifier?? I assumed that because it repeats a key word.
Sounds reasonable.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

Legendary Member

by Mo2men » Fri Nov 10, 2017 4:25 am
GMATGuruNY wrote:
Mo2men wrote:In OA :C, is the modifier 'each colony consisting' called resumptive modifier?? I assumed that because it repeats a key word.
Sounds reasonable.
Dear Mitch,

How come a sentence does not have a main verb? There is no main clause. Just modifiers.

Do I miss something here?

Thanks

GMAT Instructor

by GMATGuruNY » Fri Nov 10, 2017 4:33 am
Mo2men wrote:
GMATGuruNY wrote:
Sounds reasonable.
Dear Mitch,

How come a sentence does not have a main verb? There is no main clause. Just modifiers.

Thanks
The main verb is in the non-underlined portion:
Naked mole rats FORM colonies.
Here, form is the main verb for naked mole rats (subject).

Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

Legendary Member

by Mo2men » Fri Nov 10, 2017 4:36 am
GMATGuruNY wrote:
Mo2men wrote:
GMATGuruNY wrote:
Sounds reasonable.
Dear Mitch,

Thanks
The main verb is in the non-underlined portion:
Naked mole rats FORM colonies.
Here, form is the main verb for naked mole rats (subject).
Thanks Mitch. However, I misread FORM to be FROM. :(