comparison question

This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

comparison question

by toro86717498 » Thu Oct 06, 2016 3:42 am
Hi, experts. Please share your thoughts. Appreciated

Independent contractors pay higher taxes and paid less consistently than are statutory employees, but they, unlike statutory employees, are freely allowed to perform the same type of work for multiple businesses.
(A)taxes and paid less consistently than are statutory employees, but they, unlike statutory employees, are freely allowed to

(B)taxes and are paid less consistently than statutory employees; unlike statutory employees, though, independent contractors are free to

(C)taxes, are paid less consistently than statutory employees, and, unlike statutory employees, they may freely

(D)taxes and are paid less consistently than are statutory employees; in addition, unlike statutory employees, independent contractors can freely

(E)taxes and paid less consistently than are statutory employees; moreover, unlike statutory employees, they are allowed to

OA:B

My question is (B)taxes and are paid less consistently than statutory employees; unlike statutory employees, though, independent contractors are free to

"are paid less consistently than statutory employees " how is it be parallel?

Please explain. Million thanks in advance.

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Thu Oct 06, 2016 4:46 am
toro86717498 wrote:My question is (B)taxes and are paid less consistently than statutory employees; unlike statutory employees, though, independent contractors are free to

"are paid less consistently than statutory employees " how is it be parallel?

Please explain. Million thanks in advance.
OA: Independent contractors pay higher taxes and are paid less consistently than statutory employees.
Here, the portions in blue imply the following comparison:
Independent contractors pay higher taxes [than statutory employees pay] and are paid less consistently than statutory employees [are paid].
The words in brackets are omitted, but their presence is implied.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:247 members

by ceilidh.erickson » Thu Oct 06, 2016 11:19 am
If your question is whether "independent contractors pay... and are paid" is parallel, this is a very common question.

Many students mistakenly assume that "parallelism" means that everything has to be exactly the same. That's not the case - active verbs can be parallel to passive verbs, past tense can be parallel to present tense, etc. The only rule is that each parallel piece must fit with the ROOT PHRASE:

Independent contractors:
a) pay
and
b) are paid

--> one active verb, one passive verb, but both fit the subject.

You could also have parallelism with different verb tenses:

Independent contractors:
a) now pay
but
b) used to pay (in the past)

--> one present tense, one past tense, but both fit the subject.

Parallelism with different types of modifiers:

Independent contractors:
a) qualified
and
b) hard-working,
pay higher taxes...

--> one is a past participle, the other is a present participle, but both modify "contractors."
Ceilidh Erickson
EdM in Mind, Brain, and Education
Harvard Graduate School of Education