RC sloth bear

This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

RC sloth bear

by toro86717498 » Wed Sep 28, 2016 8:26 pm
Hi, experts, Please share your thoughts about the reading question. Thanks in advance.

The sloth bear, an insect-eating animal native to Nepal, exhibits only one behavior that is truly distinct from that ofother bear species: the females carry their cubs (at least part-time) until the cubs are about nine months old, even though the cubs can walk on their own at six months. Cub-carrying also occurs among some other myrmecophagous (ant-eating) mammals; therefore, one explanation is that cub-carrying is necessitated by myrmecophagy, since myrmecophagy entails a low metabolic rate and high energy expenditure in walking between food patches. However, although polar bears' locomotion is similarly inefficient, polar bear cubs walk along with their mother. Furthermore, the daily movements of sloth bears and American black bears - which are similar in size to sloth bears and have similar-sized home ranges - reveal similar travel rates and distances, suggesting that if black bear cubs are able to keep up with their mother, so too should sloth bear cubs.

An alternative explanation is defense from predation. Black bear cubs use trees for defense, whereas brown bears and polar bears, which regularly inhabit treeless environments, rely on aggression to protect their cubs. Like brown bears and polar bears (and unlike other myrmecophagous mammals, which are noted for their passivity), sloth bears are easily provoked to aggression. Sloth bears also have relatively large canine teeth, which appear to be more functional for fighting than for foraging. Like brown bears and polar bears, sloth bears may have evolved in an environment with few trees. They are especially attracted to food-rich grasslands; although few grasslands persist today on the Indian subcontinent, this type of habitat was once wide-spread there. Grasslands support high densities of tigers, which fight and sometimes kill sloth bears; sloth bears also coexist with and have been killed by tree-climbing leopards, and are often confronted and chased by rhinoceroses and elephants, which can topple trees. Collectively these factors probably selected against tree-climbing as a defensive strategy for sloth bear cubs. Because sloth bears are smaller than brown and polar bears and are under greater threat from dangerous animals, they may have adopted the extra precaution of carrying their cubs. Although cub-carrying may also be adoptive for myrmecophagous foraging, the behavior of sloth bear cubs, which climb on their mother's back at the first sign of danger, suggests that predation was a key stimulus.

Which of the following, if true, would most weaken the author's argument in highlight text?
A Cub-carrying behavior has been observed in many non-myrmecophagous mammals.
B Many of the largest myrmecophagous mammals do not typically exhibit cub-carrying behavior.
C Some sloth bears have home ranges that are smaller in size than the average home ranges of black bears.
D The locomotion of black bears is significantly more efficient than the locomotion of sloth bears.
E The habitat of black bears consists of terrain that is significantly more varied than that of the habitat of sloth bears.

Correct answer is D.

I choose C because ranges are smaller is against the assumptions in the highlighted area(it is similar). Since C is not the right answer, the possible explanation for C is smaller ranges may be easier for sloth bear cubs to follow their parents(theoretically). Please correct me if I am wrong, and share your thoughts how to rule out C.

D is the right answer. I can find the context in the previous sentence. But my question here is C is attractive to me because it's inside the Highlighted area. Even though I understand the whole article, how can I avoid the same trap next time?

E is wrong because it's irrelevant. We don't know the correlation between varied terrains and cub's ability to follow their parents. Please correct me if i am wrong.

Many thanks in advance

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Thu Sep 29, 2016 2:20 am
toro86717498 wrote:I choose C because ranges are smaller is against the assumptions in the highlighted area(it is similar). Since C is not the right answer, the possible explanation for C is smaller ranges may be easier for sloth bear cubs to follow their parents(theoretically). Please correct me if I am wrong, and share your thoughts how to rule out C.

C is attractive to me because it's inside the Highlighted area. Even though I understand the whole article, how can I avoid the same trap next time?
The passage states as a PREMISE that American black bears...are similar in size to sloth bears and have similar-sized home ranges.
C: Some sloth bears have home ranges that are smaller in size than the average home ranges of black bears.
C seems to contradict the premise above.
A premise is a FACT: it cannot be contradicted.
Eliminate C.

Also:
When answering strengthen/weaken questions, avoid answer choices with SOME.
SOME = at least one.
C can be rephrased as follows:
AT LEAST ONE sloth bear has a home range that is smaller in size than the average home ranges of black bears.
Information about one sloth bear is insufficient to strengthen or weaken a conclusion.
Eliminate C.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3