700 to 650 to 720! and I really NEED to get a 760!

This forum is dedicated to our GMAT Avengers study group. Connect with fellow test takers and stay up-to-date with the latest Avengers' news. Experts are free to contribute in answering questions.
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
HI EVERYONE! I took the test on the 13th of SEPTEMBER. I scored a 720 Q50 V38.
I know its definitely not a bad score and that it does give me a fighting chance at the schools of my choice; however, since I have a bad CGPA so I really do need a score in the range of 750 ( or more) to have as a selling point in my applications.
So I'll dive into the prep and strategies I used , E-GMAT ONLINE , TOP GMAT ( SANDEEP GUPTA ) material which is basically GMAT PREP question packs and MGMAT mixed.
THE VERBAL SECTION ANALYSIS
I made the most errors in CR which is actually my waterloo or rather I seem to have lost a grip on a week before the test.
Last 11 questions done in 10 mins. Guessed about 4 , and the rest I was in a zombie state where you're reading words but nothing really makes sense.
SC 87 PERCENTILE
CR 70
RC 73

I used to do about 3 to 4 RCs (timed) everynight in the last month of the prep to try and simulate the same environment of a verbal section ( brain fatigued etc etc).
CR was not an issue in GMATPREP. But in SCHOLARIUM I used to get flummoxed a lot.
SC I think went ok, thanks to E-GMAT ONLINE for that.

Now my real appeal to all experts is how to break into that 99 percentile?!
I have month to spare for this. Also, I have started with my applications so am guessing that will keep me busy.. and since am in the Merchant Navy I really cant prepare at work ( and doing that on a ship for 6 to 8 months just wont be doing justice to my life either...)

GMAT scores
JULY 24 2015 700 Q47 V39
SEPTEMBER 15 2015 650 Q50 V28 ( when life plays its ACE )
SEPTEMBER 13 2016 720 Q50 V38 (when you realise the first 700 wasn't a fluke)
My gmat prep tests were obviously inflated.. 760 730 as I was familiar with a lot of questions.
Veritas Prep mock 710
MGMAT 680 to 740 ( again inflated because had used them last year)
Economist 730 Q53 V35 ( couldn't complete due to slow internet)

Any specific resources for CR and RC..? I really need to improve my accuracy there.. especially in the last quarter of the test.. and would it be good idea to retake in OCTOBER..? or finish with round 1 applications and then prepare? I am applying at 2 schools in round 1. I am not really sure how long it takes to make good effective applications. Some advice please!

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:247 members

by ceilidh.erickson » Sat Sep 24, 2016 7:34 pm
I want to state something unequivocally: absolutely no one needs a 760. (Unless you're applying to be an Mprep instructor! Then it's required).

Business schools use the GMAT as a proxy of your ability to carry out the coursework and add value to intellectual atmosphere for your classmates. Anything above a 700 indicates strong intellectual horsepower. A 720 says that you're more than capable of carrying out the coursework. At a certain point, though, that point is already made. "Ok, this person is clearly smart. What else do they have to offer?" If the rest of your application isn't impressive, a better GMAT score still won't get you in the door. There is not a single top-20 school that would admit students based on GMAT scores alone. Plenty of applicants with perfect 800s are rejected every year.

My advice for you would be to make sure that the rest of your application is as impressive as possible before trying again on the GMAT. A 720 is already impressive, and at/above the average of most top schools. Getting another 20-40 points might not boost your chances much at all, whereas spending more time crafting your essays, or perhaps taking on a new leadership role at your job might.

Good luck!
Ceilidh Erickson
EdM in Mind, Brain, and Education
Harvard Graduate School of Education