The economic report released today by Congress and the Feder

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
The economic report released today by Congress and the Federal Reserve was bleaker than expected, which suggests that the nearing recession might be even deeper and more prolonged than even the most pessimistic analysts have predicted.

(A) which suggests that the nearing recession might be even deeper and more prolonged than even the most pessimistic analysts have predicted.
(B) which suggests that the nearing recession might be deeper and more prolonged than that predicted by even the most pessimistic analysts.
(C) suggests that the nearing recession might be even deeper and more prolonged than that predicted by even the most pessimistic analysts.
(D) suggesting that the nearing recession might be deeper and more prolonged than that predicted by even the most pessimistic analysts.
(E) a situation that is even more deep and prolonged than even the most pessimistic analysts have predicted.

Please assist with above sentence correction problem.

Legendary Member
Followed by:14 members

by aditya8062 » Tue Sep 20, 2016 8:46 pm
Good Day Guru

I have a question about option E: The economic report released today by Congress and the Federal Reserve was bleaker than expected, a situation that is even more deep and prolonged than even the most pessimistic analysts have predicted.

I feel that E is WRONG for the faulty comparison
Kindly tell me will the following E be correct sentence 1: The economic report released today by Congress and the Federal Reserve was bleaker than expected, a situation that is even more deep and prolonged than THAT predicted by even the most pessimistic analysts.

I feel that COMMA+ A SITUATION construction is COMMA + ABSTRACT NOUN construction and can refer to the WHOLE IDEA of the previous clause just as in the following correct sentence: the coach tried to put five receivers on the line, a strategy that failed
thanks and best regards

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Wed Sep 21, 2016 2:37 am
alanforde800Maximus wrote:The economic report released today by Congress and the Federal Reserve was bleaker than expected, which suggests that the nearing recession might be even deeper and more prolonged than even the most pessimistic analysts have predicted.

(A) which suggests that the nearing recession might be even deeper and more prolonged than even the most pessimistic analysts have predicted.
(B) which suggests that the nearing recession might be deeper and more prolonged than that predicted by even the most pessimistic analysts.
(C) suggests that the nearing recession might be even deeper and more prolonged than that predicted by even the most pessimistic analysts.
(D) suggesting that the nearing recession might be deeper and more prolonged than that predicted by even the most pessimistic analysts.
(E) a situation that is even more deep and prolonged than even the most pessimistic analysts have predicted.
COMMA + which must be preceded by a NOUN.
A and B: than expected, which
Here, COMMA + which is not preceded by a noun.
Eliminate A and B.

C: The economic report...was bleaker...suggests that the nearing recession
Here, the two verbs in red must be connected by a conjunction such as and.
Eliminate C.

E: The report released today was bleaker, a situation that is...deep and prolonged
Here, the portion in red implies that the preceding event -- the release of the report -- is a situation that is DEEP and PROLONGED.
This meaning is nonsensical.
The intended meaning is that the NEARING RECESSION might be deep and prolonged.
Eliminate E.

The correct answer is D.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3