Essays...

Share tips as you apply, write essays, interview...
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

Essays...

by MBA23 » Sat Aug 27, 2016 8:31 pm
To mention, or not to mention wife and kid(s) in essays...

Is it possible that being married with a child may be a turnoff at some schools?

Should this be my little secret initially?

What do you all think?

GMAT/MBA Expert

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:11 members

by Alexbr@ClearAdmit » Sat Aug 27, 2016 11:43 pm
many programs have a vibrant community of partners and kids, so I don't think it needs to be a secret. cheers, alex
New Book! Becoming a Clear Admit: The Definitive Guide to MBA Admissions. https://www.clearadmit.com/products/admi ... dmissions/

Followed by:7 members

by Michelle@ARINGO » Mon Sep 12, 2016 1:56 am
No need to keep it a secret, you will most likely not be the only person at the school with a wife and child but not sure I would bring it up in my essay either, unless there is a very specific reason for it.

Good luck!
ARINGO MBA Admissions Consulting
https://ARINGO.com/

Specializing in candidates with GMATs under 720

Try our free Admissions Chances Calculator - https://aringo.com/mba-admission-chances-calculator/
Or contact us today on: https://aringo.com/mba-process-registration/

Highest acceptance rates in the industry! All statistics verified by Ernst & Young

by MBA23 » Mon Sep 12, 2016 7:19 pm
Thanks for your replies!

Legendary Member
Followed by:79 members
GMAT Score:640

by money9111 » Mon Sep 12, 2016 11:23 pm
MENTION IT!!!!! Whichever schools you're applying too want to KNOW YOU! As cliche as that sounds, it's the truth. Trust me! I've been on both ends of the spectrum - an applicant - and an interviewer. *Disclaimer* I graduated from Johnson at Cornell University in 2013. I can tell you that the wives & kids of my classmates were an integral part of my experience at business school. Please disclose that information - if you can!
My goal is to make MBA applicants take onus over their process.

My story from Pre-MBA to Cornell MBA - New Post in Pre-MBA blog

Me featured on Poets & Quants

Free Book for MBA Applicants

by MBA23 » Sun Sep 18, 2016 3:31 pm
Yes, money9111, I think I will mention it if it fits well with the story of my essay. In several instances it seems to flow well with my story, or with the topic of the essay. Thanks

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:3 members

by Edison@VeritasPrep » Sun Sep 18, 2016 6:39 pm
Thanks for sharing,

Mentioning it may help the schools to get to know you better, what motivates you and how you are. As you mentioned, if it flows well, you may use a sentence or two to refer to your family.

All the best!
Veritas Prep | Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant

Find the expert who's right for you. Meet our team!
Register for a free MBA Admissions Workshop!

GMAT/MBA Expert

Followed by:9 members

by MargaretStrother » Sat Sep 24, 2016 3:25 am
Hi MBA23,
Your family may or may not be relevant in an essay, depending on the question you are answering. As others have mentioned, it will not be a turn-off for top business schools, but you do want to show that you will play an active role in the school community despite bringing a family with you to your MBA studies. Most b-schools have family/partners clubs, so stating that you will be an active member (and that you have reached out to the club and spoken to current members) is a good way to bring up the topic while adding research specificity to your essays.

Good luck!
Margaret Strother
Margaret Strother
Senior Consultant
Stacy Blackman Consulting

Learn more about me

by MBA23 » Sat Sep 24, 2016 7:30 am
Hi Margaret,

That is exactly why I brought up the topic. Fear that schools will assume someone with a family will be less active within the community as a whole.

Thanks for the tips.

Thanks everyone else as well.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Followed by:11 members

by Donna@Stratus » Tue Jan 31, 2017 2:06 pm
MBA23 wrote:To mention, or not to mention wife and kid(s) in essays...

Is it possible that being married with a child may be a turnoff at some schools?

Should this be my little secret initially?

What do you all think?
I don't think it should be a secret- but I am not sure in the limited space you have in the essays that it is worth mentioning. It will not impact your admissions decision- but in the interview or when meeting students you may want to ask about the partners or family clubs that the school has so that you can decide where you would most like to attend- or places where your family will enjoy too. But I don't see the need to lead with this in the essays as whether or not you have kids or a partner is not a driver in the admissions selection process.